Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AViewFromLe2

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Thinking about team news later on, I wonder with the news about Chessum being up to his limit will come into play. For me I think it has to, so I think he will be rested. Personally wouldn't be surprised to see Hatherall stay in the second row, alongside Martin and add another big ball carrying option.

JVP being namechecked this week, tells me he will be in the 23 in some shape or form. Personally i think it is less risk to start him, let him empty the tank for 45 minutes and bring someone on to get the full 80 minutes. With that in mind, i think we could see:

Cronin, Montoya, Heyes, Martin, Hatherall, Hanro, Reffell, Wiese, JVP, Pollard, OHC, Kata, Kelly, Bassett, Steward. Bench of FTT, Whitcombe, Cole/Hurd, Wells, Rogerson, Youngs, Shillcock, Scott

I did say on the podcast that i would like to see Shillcock at 15 for the extra distribution option, I'm just not convinced McKellar will do that.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 am
Ian Cant wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:00 pm Hi Shedhead,
I hope you and your wife have a good time at Welford Road.
Love the Gloucester fans as they/ you always seem fair minded and respectful of us Tiger fans.
Tigers are so inconsistent I’m expecting a close game even though you have a few injury problems. I think what Tigers do depends on who we pick in our squad.
Your confidence will be high after last week’s deserved win.
Hope you win The Challenge Cup.
How are Tigers inconsistent, when they are able to pick from a full strength squad they are very consistent. Very difficult to deal with international call ups and competition regulations preventing players from being selected.
If you don’t think Tigers will be going as fully loaded as possible for the rest of the season it isn’t in your blood as much as you claim
To back this up, in the 8 league games since the WC when all of the squad is available, we have won 6 of them, with a win percentage of 75% which is historically top 2 form.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

On the selection issue, on the Podcast, Dan Cole said he had been given time off. Not sure whether that is after Friday or now but may not be available this week.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 am On the selection issue, on the Podcast, Dan Cole said he had been given time off. Not sure whether that is after Friday or now but may not be available this week.
He did and he mentioned taking the kids away so assuming that’s when they break up for Easter which is next week.
Imagine he’ll miss Newcastle and then be back to prep for Leinster
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 am On the selection issue, on the Podcast, Dan Cole said he had been given time off. Not sure whether that is after Friday or now but may not be available this week.
Interesting to note that Hurd was visible in a training pic, so if he's not quite there 100% it makes it more likely to leave Cole's week off till Hurd is ready.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:49 am
Interesting to note that Hurd was visible in a training pic, so if he's not quite there 100% it makes it more likely to leave Cole's week off till Hurd is ready.
It is my understanding that Coley's week off is next week for that exact reason. Gives Hurd an extra week.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:41 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:49 am
It is my understanding that Coley's week off is next week for that exact reason. Gives Hurd an extra week.
Makes sense and was what I assumed as he had been in training pictures this week but was not 100% clear on their podcast.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

We’ve gone full strength for tomorrow. Only notable absentees from that are Martin and Watson. JVP on the bench.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers have named their side for Friday night’s Gallagher Premiership clash at 7.45pm at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.
The return of scrum-half Jack van Poortvliet headlines Dan McKellar’s first selection of the league run, van Poortvliet making his first appearance in a Tigers matchday 23 this season.
Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Freddie Steward and Tommy Reffell all start for Tigers with Ben Youngs partnering Handré Pollard in the halves.
Tigers are also boosted by captain Julián Montoya, Jasper Wiese and Solomone Kata who were ineligible last week.
Leicester Tigers head coach, Dan McKellar said: “It’s great to have the whole group back together.”

“The international boys have worked hard to reintegrate themselves and they’re ready to go and we’re focused on delivering a performance in front of our home crowd.
“It’s fair to say we’re all really pleased for Jack (van Poortvliet) to see him back fit, healthy and wearing a Tigers jersey.”

STARTING XV

15 Freddie Steward [81]
14 Josh Bassett [13]
13 Dan Kelly [76]
12 Solomone Kata [13]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [15]
10 Handré Pollard [27]
9 Ben Youngs [312]

1 James Cronin [28]
2 Julián Montoya [53]
3 Dan Cole [317]
4 Harry Wells [192
5 Ollie Chessum [53]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [101]
7 Tommy Reffell [109]
8 Jasper Wiese [72]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Finn Theobald-Thomas [9]
17 James Whitcombe [48]
18 Joe Heyes [138]
19 Kyle Hatherell [16]
20 Olly Cracknell [36]
21 Jack van Poortvliet [66]
22 Jamie Shillcock [21]
23 Phil Cokanasiga [13]
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great to see JVP back !
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Gloucester Rugby side to take on Leicester Tigers in the Gallagher Premiership at Welford Road tomorrow evening.
In the front row, Seb Blake comes in for George McGuigan, who was injured in last weekend's Premiership Rugby Cup Final victory over the Tigers.
McGuigan will be out of action for an extended period after suffering a hamstring injury in the 78th minute of the game.
Mayco Vivas makes a timely return from injury, to join Blake and Kirill Gotovtsev, who retains his spot at tight-head.
Former Leicester man, Cam Jordan, who was Player of the Match in the final, partners Freddie Clarke in the boilerhouse again, with Ruan Ackermann, Zach Mercer and Jack Clement completing the pack.
Clement replaces Lewis Ludlow, who misses out with a minor foot injury, with Ackermann taking the captaincy in his place.

Italy's Stephen Varney returns from a highly successful Six Nations to start at scrum-half, with Santi Carreras coming in at fly-half outside him.
The midfield remains the same as it was in the last outing, with Seb Atkinson, a try-scorer last Friday, linking up with Max Llewellyn again.
In the back row, youngster Josh Hathaway and experienced Jonny May come into the side on the wings, with Lloyd Evans starting at full back.
On the bench, there is a potential Gloucester Rugby in store for Adam McBurney, who has joined as short-term injury cover from Edinburgh.
He's joined by Harry Elrington, Jamal Ford-Robinson, Arthur Clark, Freddie Thomas and Albert Tuisue to cover the forwards, with Charlie Chapman and Chris Harris in reserve for the backs.

Team News
15. Lloyd Evans
14. Jonny May*
13. Max Llewellyn
12. Seb Atkinson*
11. Josh Hathaway*
10. Santi Carreras
9. Stephen Varney*

1. Mayco Vivas
2. Seb Blake*
3. Kirill Gotovtsev
4. Freddie Clarke*
5. Cam Jordan*
6. Ruan Ackermann (C)
7. Jack Clement*
8. Zach Mercer

Replacements
16. Adam McBurney**
17. Harry Elrington
18. Jamal Ford-Robinson
19. Arthur Clark*
20. Freddie Thomas
21. Albert Tuisue
22. Charlie Chapman*
23. Chris Harris

* Denotes academy player or graduate

**Denotes loan player
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Aside from adding Martin, I am not sure that we can go stronger than that.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

McGuigan and Ludlow out injured for Glaws. A few posters on Shedweb blaming Hanro for the McGuigan injury !! Shame Ludlow isn't playing as he's good for a few penalties normally :smt018
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:11 pm Aside from adding Martin, I am not sure that we can go stronger than that.
Makes sense to rotate him and Chessum over the next couple of weeks
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Excellent Tigers squad

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.