International Eligibility

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: International Eligibility

Post by sk 88 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am For me, the passport idea is a total non-starter - there is not a separate passport for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales and I am sure that the Northern Irish lads would still want to play for the united Irish team rather than become a tier 2 or 3 nation. Neither is the grandparent thing - get rid of it. Parent's qualification, place of birth and residency (I would be happy with a minimum of 6 years) should be the only qualification for me.
The passport criteria works in football which faces the exact same issues.

Interestingly despite American Samoa having its own membership of World Rugby we have seen many American Samoan's represent USA seemingly on the basis they are US passport holders.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 pm
trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am For me, the passport idea is a total non-starter - there is not a separate passport for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales and I am sure that the Northern Irish lads would still want to play for the united Irish team rather than become a tier 2 or 3 nation. Neither is the grandparent thing - get rid of it. Parent's qualification, place of birth and residency (I would be happy with a minimum of 6 years) should be the only qualification for me.

Interestingly despite American Samoa having its own membership of World Rugby we have seen many American Samoan's represent USA seemingly on the basis they are US passport holders.
Yes but rugby has one significant difference - a united Ireland team as opposed to a Northern Ireland and Eire in football
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 pm
[/quote

Agree with this.
Also, I thought you could only move from tier 1 to tier 2? Has that changed?
I was only making the suggestion that a Northern Ireland team (based on passports) would not be a tier 1 team and could be a tier 2 or even 3 team
Hehehehehehehehe
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 am
sk 88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 pm

Yes but rugby has one significant difference - a united Ireland team as opposed to a Northern Ireland and Eire in football
Again dealt with explicitly in the FIFA regulations on common nationalities. Passports could work, we chose not to implement them because it limits tier 1 nations on who they can select & tier 1 nations literally control the entire sport.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!