LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I've been trying to find out how many senior games Beets has played, but can't seem to find anything. The only stats are for his SA U20s appearances.

Anybody know?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by kpj tiger »

Looks like the announcement today was just a response to the telegraph article last night, interesting that said article also mentioned Smith and Perese as done deals but seems like we'll have to wait for those.

As for Beets EQP status aren't the Baby Boks a capture team so it'd be 5 years regardless of ancestry
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The signing of Beers may turn out to be a great signing but I feel some are getting over excited by the signing of a player we know nothing about. I applaud the club in signing young players and developing them but that takes time, the Premiership is a tough place to learn your trade and there are no reserve or Under 23 competitions to bring a young player on..I hope this new guy is Premiership ready, otherwise the excitement is misplaced.
robwatts77

Post by robwatts77 »

i think their u20's are their capture team. meaning he won't qualify unless he has english parents or grandparents? I think thats why Hanro isn't qualified?
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:03 am
trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am If he is on a 4 year contract - will he qualify for England through the residency rule?
It's now a 5 year residency requirement

So unless he has an English granny tucked away, he won't be EQP for a long while
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

robwatts77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:57 am i think their u20's are their capture team. meaning he won't qualify unless he has english parents or grandparents? I think thats why Hanro isn't qualified?
trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am If he is on a 4 year contract - will he qualify for England through the residency rule?

So unless he has an English granny tucked away, he won't be EQP for a long while
Regulations changed post Hanro playing U20's... age group teams are no longer allowed to be capture teams.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 am The signing of Beers may turn out to be a great signing but I feel some are getting over excited by the signing of a player we know nothing about. I applaud the club in signing young players and developing them but that takes time, the Premiership is a tough place to learn your trade and there are no reserve or Under 23 competitions to bring a young player on..I hope this new guy is Premiership ready, otherwise the excitement is misplaced.
I agree. Given his age he would be joining the senior academy squad. I doubt he’d get much premiership experience next season and needs time to develop. Even if he does replace Wiese, it won’t be for a couple of years yet.

It’s a worry because whilst I think if the rumoured signings are true, we have a better team overall than this season, we’ll have a massive hole to fill at 8.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Seems to be big news for an Academy signing. More and more examples these days of players of a similar age making the step up. Vincent if Exeter is a good example still a Exeter Uni and working part time as pizza delivery guy yet he’s played for Italy in the 6 nations. In fully expecting Beets to be in the senior squad and pushing for a starting spot
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

robwatts77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:57 am i think their u20's are their capture team. meaning he won't qualify unless he has english parents or grandparents? I think thats why Hanro isn't qualified?

I think they've stopped the whole under 20s as a representative team thing now. You'd have to play against another side that has their under 20s as the capture side as well.

He might be development squad but he could also jump into the first team. Before this season Cameron Hannekom had played a full 7 mins off the bench for the Bulls and he's now causing waves as a starting 8 for a side with a beast of a pack. He's a year older than Beets, Beets would have been following the same pathway had he stayed at the Bulls. It's entirely possible that he steps straight into the first team, it's also entirely possible he needs a year or so to adapt to senior rugby. We'll have to see when he arrives.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:21 am I've been trying to find out how many senior games Beets has played, but can't seem to find anything. The only stats are for his SA U20s appearances.

Anybody know?
I believe it is because it is none. The usual databases don't have anything for the Currie Cup & he definitely hasn't played URC.
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:38 am Looks like the announcement today was just a response to the telegraph article last night, interesting that said article also mentioned Smith and Perese as done deals but seems like we'll have to wait for those.

As for Beets EQP status aren't the Baby Boks a capture team so it'd be 5 years regardless of ancestry

No, World Rugby banned players from being captured under the age of 21 a few years ago (2019 rings a bell), but they didn't wipe away the older players captured when they were that age (e.g. Hanro Liebenberg is captured due to baby boks caps).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm Beets should drum up a bit of interest….
He might even attract a sugar daddy !
I'm glad we've snared him
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

You have to look positively on the Beets signing surely ? What players could have been on a par or an improvement on Jasper ? Earl maybe ? Cunningham-South (CCS - we need a glossary for these 3 letter abbreviations) is a good prospect but I don't think he's got the power or dynamism of Wiese - certainly not yet. What Beets has going for him is he's from a country that has produced a number of the best back rowers of all time. You can guarantee that he will have that gnarly edge to him and he won't be afraid of contact. It's a decent signing for me.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I haven’t heard much about him but what a fantastic signing I’d say.. junior Springbok player of the year to me makes him sound like a top acquisition
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think that signings like this may be the way forward. Signing established internationals is expensive and means you will be missing players for extended periods. Signing players with what appears to be lots of potential to develop may be the way to produce a decent squad in a more frugal manner.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Shaping up nicely for some attacking expansive rugby:

1. Smith (age 29)
2. Montoya (age 30)
3. Cole (age 36)
4. Martin (age 22)
5. Chessum (age 23)
6. Liebenberg (age 28)
7. Reffell (age 24)
8. Beets (age 20)
9. JVP (age 22)
10. Pollard (age 30)
11. OHC (age 25)
12. Kata (age 29)
13. Perese (age 26)
14. Watson (age 30)
15. Steward (age 23)

Not sure about Watson so perhaps someone else in the 14 shirt but I am excited about the prospect of this team getting a few games together..

A nice mix of experience in the front row, young dynamic players in the second/back row with international experience thrown in the mix. A very solid half back pairing and a cheeky backs division. I’d say if Watson is going and we can get a pacey winger to wear 14 we are looking in very good shape. Dan Kelly will almost certainly be in the mix if not starting but I’m looking forward to seeing Kara/Perese getting a run out!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It's a bit of a random one, but it's like Hamilton's move to Ferrari in F1, I'd like to fast forward to next season - it could be exciting.