LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sam16111986 »

Beets could be a very good signing. He's obviously very highly rated. Looks like a powerful ball carrier we can develop. The Bulls have one international 6/8 in Louw and another who's going to soon become an 8 in Hannekom (Wales have allegedly tried to get him to change allegiance). It's some production factory there for the Bulls. As such the young lad might have been considering a move to see more game time and he'll have been a much cheaper option than those more established players.

We'll see what other signings come in before we decide whether we've traded up or down.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/176 ... jZuIg&s=19

On pronunciation

Beets = ‘Beer-tss’
Beets ≠ ‘Beats’
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Interesting that Beets school is the same as Handre’s. You wonder if Handre has had some input as well.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MrG2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:05 am Interesting that Beets school is the same as Handre’s. You wonder if Handre has had some input as well.
I suspect the South African lads plus Clare (has a SA wife) along with their families, probably looked after him when he came over, made him right at home.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Heyes, Chessum (x2), FTT, Carnduff, Ilione, Whitcombe, Henderson, Reffell, Martin, Beets

That’s some long term forward quality around which you can build your wider squad
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Very excited by Beets signing similar age and pedigree to Carnduff CCS and the French Tuilagi and I believe older than George Martin when he made his Tigers debut.
Excellent long term business
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

How many more we expecting, three? Prop and two centres.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Great bit of news to start the day, the popcorn has started early so does that mean there may be a fair few to come?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 am How many more we expecting, three? Prop and two centres.
I think at least one on the down low that not many have heard about...

Edit: I also think at least 2 props (Richardson probably leaving)
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Smith
Eloff/De Bruin?
Beets
Perese
Another Centre

Any others?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think the Pollard input cannot be underestimated in this. If he came from his school he will have very strong contacts there and has probably heard about this kid rising through the age grades for years. Then he will have spoken to the Springbok connections and getting the gen from them too .. Jasper may also have been involved there too.
From a Springbok point of view, they may look at it as a finishing school for the lad .. we did a good job on Jasper after all, and they know our playing style and club ethos will suit their vales. They also know that he will be “looked after by Polly and co.”
From Beets point of view he gets paid Northern hemisphere money and get a damn good rugby education. He will also get tough competition on the training paddock and the playing field.
I was rather hoping for the Stormers 8 who played against us but hopefully this guy will be just as good in a couple of years.
In summary I think it’ll be good for all concerned. Look forward to seeing him play next year.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:01 pm I thought that there won’t be any clashes with international /premiership matches next season so don’t think we need another lock with Martin, Chessum x2, Henderson, Wells + Hatherall able to play there
By my maths there will be at least three clashes with the international rest windows next season.

Presuming we replicate the 6N total black out of league games, and don't clash with England's four Autumn internationals as usual, the Prem would start on September 28th, with those play in England's final tour match v NZ missing out due to the 10 week stand down.

We'd then play every free weekend until the play off final on 21st June 2025. The England players would miss the two "training weeks" before the two respective international blocks. And possibly any other "rest" weekends we sell our souls for.

The Rugby Championship will also finish on September 28th, so those players will likely miss only 1 league game. Welsh & Scottish players with no formal rest protocols will be available for all league games.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If he is on a 4 year contract - will he qualify for England through the residency rule if he doesn't get selected for SA in the mean time?
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am If he is on a 4 year contract - will he qualify for England through the residency rule?
It's now a 5 year residency requirement

So unless he has an English granny tucked away, he won't be EQP for a long while