LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm Can’t say that isn’t slightly disappointing.

What’s happened to the money that was earmarked to Wiese for next season.

I’m a fan of Hatherell but it would be a big step up to be in the team starting at 8 week in week out.
That's why I doubt we are spending upto the new cap. With a name like Corné Beets expect some incoming beef based nick names :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by fentiger »

I would rather we bring in someone like this with a longer term view than another short term churn!
You can bet your bottom dollar he's got great potential, wasn't Jasper's signing outside the box if I remember correctly, didn't turn out too bad!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I get the impression that there will be an evolution in our game over the summer with us looking to attack space more than one out runners into defenders. I also get the impression we'll have a few different ball carrying options rather than just one big wrecking ball. I may, of course, be completely wrong.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 pm I get the impression that there will be an evolution in our game over the summer with us looking to attack space more than one out runners into defenders. I also get the impression we'll have a few different ball carrying options rather than just one big wrecking ball. I may, of course, be completely wrong.
I agree, McKellar's no fool, he knows we need to add something extra/different to be consistently challenging and winning. I do think, however, he needs that top level attack coach to help him, so hope we have one lined up 🤞
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Interesting that there's no mention of Eloff or De Bruin in the article but Smith and Perese, as well as Beets, are name checked.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Just feel that even if Hatherall / Liebenberg are at 8 you’re going to want Chessum at 6 to beef out the pack with another carrying option.

Beets might be a great signing - but would’ve rather he take up the slot of say Rogerson / Cracknell and we’d actually tried to replace Wiese with an international standard player.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Looks like we have been speaking to a fair few LH's, including negotiations with Cronin, and decided to go with keeping Cronin and bringing in Nicky Smith. Wouldn't be surprised if Cronin was happy to take a one year deal, and the others wanted longer (which I would think is fair), and we have our main targets coming up next summer.

Certainly, Smith, Cronin and Whitcombe is a decent trio in that position for next season. Smith is a definite upgrade on Van Wyk, which is what we are looking to do, so I'd say that is a decent bit of business.

Perese is exciting, and adds quality to our centres, especially if Scott is leaving - again that is a decent bit of business. Beets feels a low risk investment in terms of salary and with potential for a high pay-off. Feels like we have done our research with him - good to get in at the ground level on those type of players.

Could do with some EQP mind given all three names are non-EQP.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm I would rather we bring in someone like this with a longer term view than another short term churn!
You can bet your bottom dollar he's got great potential, wasn't Jasper's signing outside the box if I remember correctly, didn't turn out too bad!
While I agree there is no guarantee it would mean that! If we could move to 3 years as standard and most starters on 4 year deals we'd reduce churn by a really good level.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:32 pm
fentiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm I would rather we bring in someone like this with a longer term view than another short term churn!
While I agree there is no guarantee it would mean that! If we could move to 3 years as standard and most starters on 4 year deals we'd reduce churn by a really good level.
If I'm reading the article correctly it suggests that Beets may be a Tigers player at the next World Cup if so more examples of us signing younger guys on longer deals!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Beets should drum up a bit of interest….
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The depth in SA rugby is probably the best in the world. To get their u20 player of the year is excellent.

Miell for example could not start for his school boy team last year- that is how good their rugby is.

If there is stability in our coaching team he has a very bright future. Well done tigers.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:16 pm Just feel that even if Hatherall / Liebenberg are at 8 you’re going to want Chessum at 6 to beef out the pack with another carrying option.

Beets might be a great signing - but would’ve rather he take up the slot of say Rogerson / Cracknell and we’d actually tried to replace Wiese with an international standard player.
I guess it depends on who is about and how much they want though.
All well and good giving Wiese an offer of 300K but which 8's in world rugby would be worth that and be willing to move to us?

Beets I thought outplayed CCS and the English backrow in the U20's. I feel it's a smart move Koroyardi seems good prospect but we haven't had a true out and out 8 at international age grade in a long time. (Ilione always seemed to be more a 7)
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm Beets should drum up a bit of interest….
He might even attract a sugar daddy !
As Good As It Gets
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If we've signed up the Springbok U20 player of the year for 4 years, and he outplayed CCS, then I'd call that a cracking piece of business.

I can live with Hatherall, Liebenberg and Cracknell sharing duties with him.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'm very excited by signing SA's best U20 player.

The context of our squad is important, though. I don't think we can 'make do' with Hanro or Hatherell as a no.8. We need a starter. If Beets is that already (and CCS pretty much is for Quins), then it could be a shrewd signing.