LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 pm I think something like would be good
1. Smith, Cronin, Whitcombe, Van Der Filer, Miell, Kingsley-Mellowes
2. Montoya, Dolly, Clare, FTT, Vanes, Clarke,
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Hoyt, Crane, Mountford, Maka
4. Martin, N/A, Wells, Thomas,
5. Chessum, Henderson, Chessum,
6. Hanro, Carnduff, Manz, Williams
7. Reffell, Ilione, Beddall, Perkins, Adediran
8. N/A, Hatherell, Cracknell, Koroiyadi,
9. JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards, Allen, Dickens
10. Pollard, N/A, Meredith, Threfell
11. OHC, Simmons, Satala
12. Kata, N/A, Woodward, Myall
13. Kelly, Perese, Cusick, Davies
14. N/A, Bassett, Kinder
15. Steward, Shillcock, Brown, Gourlay

I don't know if Junior Kpoku would really be a option but would love to sign him.
Looks tasty to me! Is Cokanasiga off then? Might have missed something but I’d say he would be in the mix too
Just my preference really.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:15 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm With a development squad stacked with young lock options, three international locks and then a solid clubman in Wells if we are signing another lock then need to show a real point of difference. We don't need just a lock, a 20+ stone monster who won't last the full 80 mins but will provide impact for instance.

Carnduff looks like a real talent and should be pushing into th senior squad as a lock/6 for next season.
Is it that "stacked"?
Lewis Chessum
Finn Carnduff who is mostly a 6.
Thomas looked good in the U20's but really should be looking at the championship next season

great potentials though I will say.
Disagree about being a 20 stone monster I would take anyone of Sale's lock hybrid types.
Hmm it they are a particularly strong ball carrier otherwise I don't really see the point. Liebenburg, Hatherall and Carnduff are all lock/backrow hybrids. Don't divert money away from the starting 8 we need badly unless it's a point of difference for the side.

T Manz, Chessum Jnr and Carnduff are all in the development squad. Manz has played a decent but if Championship rugby and the other two were under 20s captains. If they can't be fifth/sixth choice locks then what is the point in keeping them? They'll get frustrated and leave soon enough anyway if we don't trust them.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'd rather keep van Wyck and let Cronin go. A real disappointment post injury.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:15 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm With a development squad stacked with young lock options, three international locks and then a solid clubman in Wells if we are signing another lock then need to show a real point of difference. We don't need just a lock, a 20+ stone monster who won't last the full 80 mins but will provide impact for instance.

Carnduff looks like a real talent and should be pushing into th senior squad as a lock/6 for next season.
Is it that "stacked"?
Lewis Chessum
Finn Carnduff who is mostly a 6.
Thomas looked good in the U20's but really should be looking at the championship next season

great potentials though I will say.
Disagree about being a 20 stone monster I would take anyone of Sale's lock hybrid types.
Hmm it they are a particularly strong ball carrier otherwise I don't really see the point. Liebenburg, Hatherall and Carnduff are all lock/backrow hybrids. Don't divert money away from the starting 8 we need badly unless it's a point of difference for the side.

T Manz, Chessum Jnr and Carnduff are all in the development squad. Manz has played a decent but if Championship rugby and the other two were under 20s captains. If they can't be fifth/sixth choice locks then what is the point in keeping them? They'll get frustrated and leave soon enough anyway if we don't trust them.
Which is kind of my point though. Hanro, Hatherall and Carnduff are all for me more BackRowers who can cover lock I'm kinda wanting the same but opposite. I wouldn't mind Hatherall playing more at lock or at a push Hanro, but if that happened I would want another number 8 signed up as well as Wiese replacement.

Has Manz played a decent bit of championship now? How games has he played this season? It's tough cause he clearly has promise but he needs a run off fitness to prove it.

Carnduff has played the vast amount of his rugby at 6, and it's generally considered a easier pathway at 6 than at lock hence why Ollie Chessum and Martin both started off in the back row even though they are bigger than him. I'm not saying he couldn't do a job and would certainly want him in the back row mix. I just wouldn't be confident seeing him start at lock against a prem team that had a decent size pack.

So of you 3 you mentioned only really 1 is who I would say is
Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:48 pm I'd rather keep van Wyck and let Cronin go. A real disappointment post injury.
Interesting I think Van Wyk scrummaging has been a major weakness generally.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:48 pm I'd rather keep van Wyck and let Cronin go. A real disappointment post injury.
Cronin was mentioned in the last round of renewals was he not?

I do agree, though. He hasn't been great for a while
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I actually think that van Who's scrummaging has been better since McKellar and team took over than it was under Borthwick.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Cronin is staying
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:10 pm Has Manz played a decent bit of championship now? How games has he played this season? It's tough cause he clearly has promise but he needs a run off fitness to prove it
Manz has played a bit of Championship rugby this year, but it's now his 5th season in the Senior Academy, guys like Carnduff played vs Quins ahead of him who is in his 2nd year in the Senior Academy. I think due to injuries/covid he (along with Browning) were granted an extra year in the Senior Academy, but I think this is his last year and I'm yet to see him stand out at Championship level. Yes he may develop into a squad depth player in the prem but I suspect that he'll leave this summer and try to get to be a Championship starter and develop his game. Can't see him staying in all honesty.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:28 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:10 pm Has Manz played a decent bit of championship now? How games has he played this season? It's tough cause he clearly has promise but he needs a run off fitness to prove it
Manz has played a bit of Championship rugby this year, but it's now his 5th season in the Senior Academy, guys like Carnduff played vs Quins ahead of him who is in his 2nd year in the Senior Academy. I think due to injuries/covid he (along with Browning) were granted an extra year in the Senior Academy, but I think this is his last year and I'm yet to see him stand out at Championship level. Yes he may develop into a squad depth player in the prem but I suspect that he'll leave this summer and try to get to be a Championship starter and develop his game. Can't see him staying in all honesty.

I could be wrong but he's played 4 champ games this season right? I think injuries has been his biggest thing sadly.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Corné Beets, Junior Springbok Player of the Year, will be the long-term replacement for departing No 8 Jasper Wiese at Leicester Tigers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 pm Corné Beets, Junior Springbok Player of the Year, will be the long-term replacement for departing No 8 Jasper Wiese at Leicester Tigers.
Beat me to it

Here's the article link...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... rne-beets/

EDIT: here's the article minus the paywall
https://archive.is/1k4HQ
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

only 20 so he may not be straight into the side
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:31 pm only 20 so he may not be straight into the side
Talks in the article how we've gone for him as a long term plan to replace Jasper, rather than an out and out starter.

Expect the likes of Hatherall, Liebenberg & Rogerson/Cracknell to job share with him and maybe Ilione a bit...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Can’t say that isn’t slightly disappointing.

What’s happened to the money that was earmarked to Wiese for next season.

I’m a fan of Hatherell but it would be a big step up to be in the team starting at 8 week in week out.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:56 pm Can’t say that isn’t slightly disappointing.

What’s happened to the money that was earmarked to Wiese for next season.

I’m a fan of Hatherell but it would be a big step up to be in the team starting at 8 week in week out.
Spending up to the cap does not mean spending it before the season even starts. We have a lot of players that are going to be looking for better contracts to renew and Andrea did say in her interview that a lot of the cap rise and perhaps some of Japser's salary will go on retaining players. Not sure I expect many, if any, really big name signings and I generally expect to see a reduction in squad size.

Better to keep some cash back for the renewals. What, for example, if Steward gets frustrated that he is not an England starter (or even on the bench). We are going to need a wad of cash in reserve to keep him this side of the channel.