16 - Nic Dolly
17 - James Whitcombe
18 - Dan Cole
19 - Ollie Chessum
20 - Tommy Reffell
21 - Jack van Poortvliet
22 - Jamie Shillcock
23 - Guy Porter
This is pretty much what I’d go for. Depending on fitness and minutes played tonight I’d like to see Chessum and Martin starting 4&5. Definitely want to see that centre partnership.. not sure about fitness of some of the lads but would be great to see this
Probably no Chessum after tonight’s game.. Hope he’s ok
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:18 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:48 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 am I’d go the following:

15 - Freddie Steward
14 - Josh Bassett
13 - Solomone Kata
12 - Phil Cokanasiga
11 - Ollie Hassell-Collins
10 - Handré Pollard
9 - Ben Youngs
8 - Jasper Wiese
7 - Emeka Ilione
6 - Hanro Liebenberg
5 - George Martin
4 - Harry Wells
3 - Joe Heyes
2 - Julían Montoya (C)
1 - James Cronin

16 - Nic Dolly
17 - James Whitcombe
18 - Dan Cole
19 - Ollie Chessum
20 - Tommy Reffell
21 - Jack van Poortvliet
22 - Jamie Shillcock
23 - Guy Porter
This is pretty much what I’d go for. Depending on fitness and minutes played tonight I’d like to see Chessum and Martin starting 4&5. Definitely want to see that centre partnership.. not sure about fitness of some of the lads but would be great to see this
Probably no Chessum after tonight’s game.. Hope he’s ok
Hope so as he’s been playing really well. I’d have Hatherell in at 19 then to give some grunt and cover backrow and lock from the bench. Give Ollie a week off to recover
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) 22nd March 19.45 THE REVENGE

Post by Pellsey »

BG01 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 pm And I would drop Pollard..
As much as I would have agreed with you 2 months ago, I think Pollard was far better last Friday. Although not up to his best, his kicks were far more accurate, and he held the ball, ran, and tackled well. He was missing the support though. Assuming Perese signs for next year, I think Pollard will certainly benefit from having this type of player in the centres.

Here's a link to his performance on Friday https://youtu.be/OqY6FRuDW_4?si=eAVMBr2eSq5_rQXK
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kata hasn't played 13, Kelly has started to look good at 13 outside of Kata. I should stick with that combo

Cokanasiga has had a good cameo's at 12 and clearly more a 12 than 13. But I wouldn't pair him with someone who hasn't played at 13 at all.

I feel if Cokanasiga starts at 12 he will need Scott at 13.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am Kata hasn't played 13, Kelly has started to look good at 13 outside of Kata. I should stick with that combo

Cokanasiga has had a good cameo's at 12 and clearly more a 12 than 13. But I wouldn't pair him with someone who hasn't played at 13 at all.

I feel if Cokanasiga starts at 12 he will need Scott at 13.
Agree there, i feel Pollard was not showing his best due to Kelly being invisible at 12, It did improve when Cokanasiga came on, so i would drop Kelly for Kata and put Cokansagia on the bench.
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

I’d go for

15) shillcock ( It’s his best position and I think pollard looks better with a second distributor at 15 on the pitch )
14) Steward
13) Kelly
12 ) Phil C
11) Ohc
10) pollard
9) Whitley (assuming jvp isn’t fit)
8) wiese
7) reffell ( I’d only play him for 50-60 mins)
6) hanro
5) hatherall (I don’t think chessum will be fit)
4) Martin
3) heyes
2) Montoya
1) Cronin

Whitcombe, Cole, FTT, carnduff, illione, Whitley or Youngs, Bassett, kata.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If Ben Youngs is fit he must start. If Steward is available should be in at 15. Personally i.would go with OHC and Kata on the wings with Kelly and Scott in the centre although I have no problem if one of the spaces is occupied by Cockanasiga. If Chessum and Martin are fit and available then they start, the same for Cole and Reffell if they are not then we have good replacements although I would like to see Illeoni get more game time. Montoya and Weiser will make a big difference to our pack. I am looking forward to being back watching rugby at Welford Rd even if it is a Friday.night.
Last edited by johnthegriff on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:24 pm If Ben Youngs is fit he must start. If Steward is available should be in at 15. Personally i.would go with OHC and Kata on the wings with Kelly and Scott in the centre although I have no problem if one of the spaces is occupied by Cockanasiga. If Chessum and Martin are fit and available then they start, the same for Cole and Farrell if they are not then we have good replacements although I would like to see Illeoni get more game time. Montoya and Weiser will make a big difference to our pack. I am looking forward to being back watching rugby at Welford Rd even if it is a Friday.night.
Really? :smt044
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

[broken record.....] we need to go full beans for this and the other games. It's not like the 6 Nations was back-to-back-to-back, there were breaks in between. Yes, there will be bumps and bruises but just manage the training workload and get them ready for Friday. The only one I would say may not make it is Chessum, as it looked like he got a stinger and came off shortly afterwards so not sure if he'll be fit and ready. Cole was normally replaced on the 50 minute mark so should be good for a half at least.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:24 pm [broken record.....] we need to go full beans for this and the other games. It's not like the 6 Nations was back-to-back-to-back, there were breaks in between. Yes, there will be bumps and bruises but just manage the training workload and get them ready for Friday. The only one I would say may not make it is Chessum, as it looked like he got a stinger and came off shortly afterwards so not sure if he'll be fit and ready. Cole was normally replaced on the 50 minute mark so should be good for a half at least.
https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... ttciQ&s=19

Chessum training with Tigers today so probably not too bad a stinger
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:24 pm [broken record.....] we need to go full beans for this and the other games. It's not like the 6 Nations was back-to-back-to-back, there were breaks in between. Yes, there will be bumps and bruises but just manage the training workload and get them ready for Friday. The only one I would say may not make it is Chessum, as it looked like he got a stinger and came off shortly afterwards so not sure if he'll be fit and ready. Cole was normally replaced on the 50 minute mark so should be good for a half at least.
This is where I have to agree. We have been sold everything on the fact that we would have our international players available if we had a 10 team league. As such, it would seem counter intuitive to put them on a rest period the minute they return. May as well have played a couple of matches during the 6 Nations if you are going to put the players on a week or 2 break as soon as the tournament ends.
I am not saying the players do not need/deserve a break but the 10 team league was sold on the basis of the quality we would have on display with no international clashes and so that is what should be delivered on.
I am encouraged by the fact that the 6 Nations players are out on the training pitch today. If they were being given a break, they would be straight off and I suspect not training
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

FenTiger. I hate auto correct, it should of course have read Reffell.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:14 pm FenTiger. I hate auto correct, it should of course have read Reffell.
:smt023 :smt044
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What's this fascination with Kata on the wing when he's far more dangerous in the centres?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Go full bore for Gloucester and Newcastle: no point not giving ourselves the best chance of top 4: win these next two games then a “free shot” v Leinster before Saints!!!
If we put a decent run together who knows, maybe we can rest some players v Sale though apart from the Premiership Cup I’m fed up of going up there and seeing us lose!