Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Post by Not a jock »

Oh dear - yet more rants about the ref. Perhaps all professional players should be equired to pass a test on the laws of rugby? ( a bit like a theory exam before a driving test).

There are plenty ofexamples of players and ex-players not knowing the laws (eg Haskell/England vs Italy a few years ago when the French ref (Poite?) replied to Haskell, "I am not the coach." Only yesterday, Martin Johnson and Nigel Owens were arguing over one of the TMO decisions - that one was about the ball being grounded short of the try line but the player in possession was picked up by hte taklers and dropped over the line. Nige said "try". The ruck laws are a minefield with lotsof misconceptions.

This iswhat Law 9 says, "REPEATED INFRINGEMENTS
8. A team must not repeatedly commit the same offence.
9. A player must not repeatedly infringe the laws.
Sanction: Penalty.
10. When different players of the same team repeatedly commit the same offence,
the referee gives a general caution to the team and if they then repeat the
offence, the referee temporarily suspends the guilty player(s). "

Did the ref issue a warning? (perhaps he did but not audible to those in the crowd or TV viewers). Sometimes the offence warrants a yellow in itself eg Peter O'Mahony vs England last week.

Re: "fairness" - I thought one of the aims of the PRC was to provide some meaningful competitive games while the internationals were away? If not, perhaps Falcons should demand that PRC squads are clipped to match their salary spend?!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Post by sam16111986 »

Not a jock wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:02 pm
Did the ref issue a warning? (perhaps he did but not audible to those in the crowd or TV viewers).
I heard him give a clear warning before the first yellow card.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:55 pm
Not a jock wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:02 pm
Did the ref issue a warning? (perhaps he did but not audible to those in the crowd or TV viewers).
I heard him give a clear warning before the first yellow card.
Yeah he did, one of those where the commentary was talking over the ref...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

My thoughts on some previous comments regarding McKellar:
I seem to remember him saying that he didn't realise the intensity of the premiership. No amount of watching from afar can prepare you for such a thing.
I'm fairly confident that once he's got some more players in place that are truly his signings we will see a more balanced game plan and structure. He does seem able to get the players both playing to the plan but also more able/willing to adapt on the fly!
We had to give previous coaches time to get results, some of which never came :smt017