LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm Actually disagree about TH and our locks, mainly down to two Scots.

Hurd I think is massively underrated and for me is better in the scrum that Heyes. Also think he’s got the potential to be our first choice TH in the future and needs minutes on the pitch.

Agree with comments about Wells. But Henderson will be back next season and has shown he more than good enough to be starting for us.

Lewis Chessum is also a massive prospect and will want minutes too next season. He was alongside CCS with the U20s as two players who looked physically ready for the next level. So we have four locks not including Wells who are good enough for the premiership.
I think Hurd has potential to be that good. But for me TH is like the cornerstone for us.

Henderson is class don't disagree but it's an rough position lock, Martin and Chessum both with England, Henderson prob with Scotland when fit. I just feel we need one more option at lock with that dog in him, like I have said it multiple time but Sale lock signings
JL du Preez
Cobus Wiese
Ernst van Rhyn
That frame of player I just feel would really be handy to have.

Like Lewis Chessum is a great prospect but I feel more confident having some like Martin in terms of power option next to him for a season or two.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by ay2oh »

I thought that there won’t be any clashes with international /premiership matches next season so don’t think we need another lock with Martin, Chessum x2, Henderson, Wells + Hatherall able to play there
A2O
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

We will miss the internationals during the AI’s
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:23 pm We will miss the internationals during the AI’s
That will be when the prem cup group stages are surely?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

With a development squad stacked with young lock options, three international locks and then a solid clubman in Wells if we are signing another lock then need to show a real point of difference. We don't need just a lock, a 20+ stone monster who won't last the full 80 mins but will provide impact for instance.

Carnduff looks like a real talent and should be pushing into th senior squad as a lock/6 for next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm With a development squad stacked with young lock options, three international locks and then a solid clubman in Wells if we are signing another lock then need to show a real point of difference. We don't need just a lock, a 20+ stone monster who won't last the full 80 mins but will provide impact for instance.

Carnduff looks like a real talent and should be pushing into th senior squad as a lock/6 for next season.
Like an Olly Kohn type? Don’t know why he came into my head :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If Smith is coming in and Van Wyk is going, where does that leave the Eloff/De Bruin rumours? Are they set to come in as a TH, both have the majority of starts on that side?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Surely if N.Smith signs then we don’t need any more props.

1. Smith, Cronin, Whitcombe
3. Cole, Hurd, Heyes

Then we’ve still got Richardson and Hoyt. If Eloff comes in too then maybe McKellar doesn’t rate Whitcombe as much as some posters on here.

Speaking of Sale type players, Hatherell can cover 4,5,6,8. Surprised he isn’t used in the 19 shirt more given the amount of positions he can cover off the bench. Plus he’s actually impressed in the last couple of games and his physicality is a point of difference.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm With a development squad stacked with young lock options, three international locks and then a solid clubman in Wells if we are signing another lock then need to show a real point of difference. We don't need just a lock, a 20+ stone monster who won't last the full 80 mins but will provide impact for instance.

Is it that "stacked"?
Lewis Chessum
Finn Carnduff who is mostly a 6.
Thomas looked good in the U20's but really should be looking at the championship next season

great potentials though I will say.
Disagree about being a 20 stone monster I would take anyone of Sale's lock hybrid types.
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:25 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:23 pm We will miss the internationals during the AI’s
That will be when the prem cup group stages are surely?
I mean won't England still have rest requirements?
Martin and Chessum are basically nailed on for England.

Also factor in the toll of International rugby.

and this isn't without considering Henderson is coming back from back to back nasty leg injuries.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:43 pm Surely if N.Smith signs then we don’t need any more props.

1. Smith, Cronin, Whitcombe
3. Cole, Hurd, Heyes

Then we’ve still got Richardson and Hoyt. If Eloff comes in too then maybe McKellar doesn’t rate Whitcombe as much as some posters on here.

Speaking of Sale type players, Hatherell can cover 4,5,6,8. Surprised he isn’t used in the 19 shirt more given the amount of positions he can cover off the bench. Plus he’s actually impressed in the last couple of games and his physicality is a point of difference.
Yeah I agree with that I guess though he's currently valued more as back rower more than anything else.
I don't think Richardson we be kept.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think something like would be good
1. Smith, Cronin, Whitcombe, Van Der Filer, Miell, Kingsley-Mellowes
2. Montoya, Dolly, Clare, FTT, Vanes, Clarke,
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Hoyt, Crane, Mountford, Maka
4. Martin, N/A, Wells, Thomas,
5. Chessum, Henderson, Chessum,
6. Hanro, Carnduff, Manz, Williams
7. Reffell, Ilione, Beddall, Perkins, Adediran
8. N/A, Hatherell, Cracknell, Koroiyadi,
9. JVP, Youngs, Whiteley, Edwards, Allen, Dickens
10. Pollard, N/A, Meredith, Threfell
11. OHC, Simmons, Satala
12. Kata, N/A, Woodward, Myall
13. Kelly, Perese, Cusick, Davies
14. N/A, Bassett, Kinder
15. Steward, Shillcock, Brown, Gourlay

I don't know if Junior Kpoku would really be a option but would love to sign him.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 pm I think something like would be good
11. OHC, Simmons, Satala
14. N/A, Bassett, Kinder

I don't know if Junior Kpoku would really be a option but would love to sign him.
Looks tasty to me! Is Cokanasiga off then? Might have missed something but I’d say he would be in the mix too
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

And Rogerson
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

11. OHC, Simmons, Satala
14. N/A, Bassett, Kinder

I see you have Rogerson off and Cracknell staying, I may have those two the other way round
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm
11. OHC, Simmons, Satala
14. N/A, Bassett, Kinder

Looks tasty to me! Is Cokanasiga off then? Might have missed something but I’d say he would be in the mix too
Pretty sure he's out of contract this season (he may be on a 2+1 deal so the question is has he done enough to get a new deal?)