LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by drc_007 »

Will England continue to play Chessum at 6? I thought he looked a little lighter than in the past, more in the Lawes/Croft style, a 6 who can cover lock. If so do Tigers need another lock?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

loretta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 am Leicester Tigers boss Dan McKellar has moved to strengthen his squad for next season with the double signing of NSW Waratahs outside centre Izaia Perese and Wales loosehead Nicky Smith.

Perese, 26, who was a member of Eddie Jones Wallabies World Cup squad, has now signed for Tigers and will be joining when his contract with Rugby Australia runs out later this year.

Smith, 29, who has played over 180 games since joining the Ospreys in 2012, has exercised an exit clause in his contract that he signed to stay with his hometown region last May.
Before we get too hot under the collar, where has this come from please?
Fissler's column on rugby pass
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

And while Fissler is often talking about some very tenuous (my mums hairdressers taxi driver) links. He doesn't tend to outright say they are done deals too early, so when he comes out with rumours they can be any level of liklihood, but he states outright they have both signed already which actually makes me confident about that.

No.8 is a rumour though and so we'll see on that...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Smith did give Hayes a tough time by scrummaging illegally, Hurd came on having watched from the airlines and no doubt been advised how to counter the tactics and Smith was no longer so effective. I think it was a part of our young props education. Smith is a decent prop but I am not sure he is better than what we already have although a bit younger than Cronin and Van Wyke.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:50 am Smith did give Hayes a tough time by scrummaging illegally, Hurd came on having watched from the airlines and no doubt been advised how to counter the tactics and Smith was no longer so effective. I think it was a part of our young props education. Smith is a decent prop but I am not sure he is better than what we already have although a bit younger than Cronin and Van Wyke.
Spot on on all counts :smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Nicky Smith for me is an upgrade on Cronin / Van Wyk when it comes to scrum time. We’re a set piece team but with Genge leaving didn’t have that quality at LH to really attack scrums. Smith gives us that and you won’t want to be scrummaging against Smith / Montoya / Cole.

I do think Cronin is better than some give him credit for though and will be fine off the bench.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:50 am Smith is a decent prop but I am not sure he is better than what we already have although a bit younger than Cronin and Van Wyke.
Circa 50 caps vs 3 and 0 respectively might suggest otherwise.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think Whitcombe might be better than them all...if he gets some decent game time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nicky smith was going toe to toe against Dan Cole in the home fixture last year I thought.
I would agree that he's a step up on both Cronin and Van Wyk

I feel Nicky Smith in terms of scrums would be a top 5 LH in the league, also unlike some has proven longevity and won't be away in internationals.
Cronin would be a top 5 back up LH in the league (I couldn't think of many back up LH's I would pick over him tbh)
Whitcombe an excellent prospect
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Will be interesting to see the makeup of the squad once the new signings/re-signings and players released are confirmed.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My hope is something like

N.Smith for Van Wyk
Number 8 for Wiese
Perese for Scott

I still feel we need another lock/back rower
Wells, Carter, Rogerson, Cracknell for me is too many players of the same level.
I'm going to get ripped here I feel but Wells is too big a drop off from Martin and Chessum imo. I love him and he has been an excellent servant to the club. But he doesn't have Martin's physicality, he doesn't have Chessum's athleticism, he doesn't have Green technique mastery. He will always give his all I know but 4 people in the pack who are just good solid all-rounders.

Honestly would like to see more of Hatherell as lock cover going forward if we get a really good number 8. Espcially if we have two very good scrummaging LH's in N.Smith and Cronin.

Another fly half, I want to see Shillcock at 15 more love Brown but feel we should pick and choose his games more next season. Shillcock is a class 15. I don't think Wilkinson is trusted as a 3rd choice. Would like to try and find a older 10 that can bridge the gap between Pollard and Meredith

If Porter goes we need another centre
And then another winger for Watson if he goes.

Long term I do worry about Cole and Pollard replacement's.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Someone earlier in this thread are convinced that we have signed 2 centres for next season so Scott and Porter likely off.
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:40 am Long term I do worry about Cole and Pollard replacement's.
What are you talking about?! Coley is (seemingly) immortal and will be still packing down long after we're all brown bread!

In all seriousness, though, I think it depends on your opinion of Hayes. If he's the heir apparent we need to look at what's coming up as backups. TBH, we've not seen the drop off from Coley like we saw from Castro when Coley surged past him all those years ago.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

loretta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 am Leicester Tigers boss Dan McKellar has moved to strengthen his squad for next season with the double signing of NSW Waratahs outside centre Izaia Perese and Wales loosehead Nicky Smith.

Perese, 26, who was a member of Eddie Jones Wallabies World Cup squad, has now signed for Tigers and will be joining when his contract with Rugby Australia runs out later this year.

Smith, 29, who has played over 180 games since joining the Ospreys in 2012, has exercised an exit clause in his contract that he signed to stay with his hometown region last May.
Before we get too hot under the collar, where has this come from please?
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fissler- ... on-monday/
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Actually disagree about TH and our locks, mainly down to two Scots.

Hurd I think is massively underrated and for me is better in the scrum that Heyes. Also think he’s got the potential to be our first choice TH in the future and needs minutes on the pitch.

Agree with comments about Wells. But Henderson will be back next season and has shown he more than good enough to be starting for us.

Lewis Chessum is also a massive prospect and will want minutes too next season. He was alongside CCS with the U20s as two players who looked physically ready for the next level. So we have four locks not including Wells who are good enough for the premiership.