LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:45 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm why would the Premier League get involved? Given the snobby attitude most Rugby fans have about Football I'd refuse to help on principle alone but then I'm vindictive.

Rugby has had 20 years to set itself up properly but is large part still tries to run like its the amateur era
I assumed it was PRL Sunak was meaning along with the RFU as opposed to anything to do with the football Premier League.
Indeed, nothing to do with football, you are correct it is PRL
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

ok it was just the way it was worded in the post then, maybe from the PM as a quote
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:57 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 am I still think Bill W was right about the source of information about Tigers signings. It definitely still is th taxi driver's mother :smt003 .

One for those of us who remember Bill and his admonition to KEEP THE FAITH.
Ah men to that
I never met BillW. we arranged to have a fag behind the Crumbie at half time some 17 years ago, never showed. Brian Moore did and bummed a fag off me. He was in a foul mood too.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:25 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:57 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 am I still think Bill W was right about the source of information about Tigers signings. It definitely still is th taxi driver's mother :smt003 .

One for those of us who remember Bill and his admonition to KEEP THE FAITH.
Ah men to that
I never met BillW. we arranged to have a fag behind the Crumbie at half time some 17 years ago, never showed. Brian Moore did and bummed a fag off me. He was in a foul mood too.
Is it true the banging out of his pipe can be still heard in the Crumbie on cold windy nights
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Not really on thread, but I’d just like to add that I never met Bill W either but I do miss his posts. What a character!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Fissler reporting Nicky Smith has signed with us for next season… very very good pick up if true!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Leicester Tigers boss Dan McKellar has moved to strengthen his squad for next season with the double signing of NSW Waratahs outside centre Izaia Perese and Wales loosehead Nicky Smith.

Perese, 26, who was a member of Eddie Jones Wallabies World Cup squad, has now signed for Tigers and will be joining when his contract with Rugby Australia runs out later this year.

Smith, 29, who has played over 180 games since joining the Ospreys in 2012, has exercised an exit clause in his contract that he signed to stay with his hometown region last May.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:09 am Fissler reporting Nicky Smith has signed with us for next season… very very good pick up if true!
That would be outstanding news. Very good scrummaging prop who's bizarrely out of international favour. Not sure he'll offer a great deal more in carrying than what we have already. He's been pretty durable for the Ospreys, plays a lot of games for them.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:09 am Fissler reporting Nicky Smith has signed with us for next season… very very good pick up if true!
That would be outstanding news. Very good scrummaging prop who's bizarrely out of international favour. Not sure he'll offer a great deal more in carrying than what we have already. He's been pretty durable for the Ospreys, plays a lot of games for them.
Not the Welsh prop I would have gone for & is he actually any better than what we have already?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:46 am
Not the Welsh prop I would have gone for & is he actually any better than what we have already?
Time will tell, its all down to affordability at the end of the day
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:46 am
Yes. He is easily a better prop at scrum time then any loosehead at the club. In the games Vs the Ospreys last season when we had issues at scrum time these were largely down to the work of Smith who gave our tightheads a troublesome time.

His work in the loose might not be a significant step up, he's not a notable carrier or big hitter in defence and that appears to be why he's out of favour with Wales. He's still managed 47 caps at 29 though which is a good indication that he's got a bit about him. I'd expect him to be first choice if it's confirmed.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

N. Smith is great at scrum time. So looks like we’ll be making 5 signings at most.

Prop - Smith
Prop - Eloff
Backrower - ???
Centre - Perese
Centre - ???

Rumoured that Scott is basically going and probably Porter. Imagine one of Rogerson and Cracknell might be leaving too.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Smith coming in surely confirming Van Wyk being off then?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Good news, if true. We really do need some fresh blood and some quality, particularly in the centres. Smith is significantly better than any of our current loosies IMHO. Hope both rumours do become reality.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smith was the last prop I remember Heyes having a really torrid time against in a scrum
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.