2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:40 pm Have no proof for this but it does make me wonder if Steward is carrying an underlying injury, for him not to even make the bench. Guess we’ll know on the 22nd
I agree that this can only be the reason why he has been left out. Let's hope he is fresh for 22nd.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I was sort of hoping England were turning a corner, but it seems it's still the "deadwood stage"
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

England: Furbank; Freeman, Slade, Lawrence, Daly; Ford, Mitchell; Genge, George (capt), Cole, Itoje, Martin, Chessum, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Marler, Stuart, Roots, Dombrandt, Care, M Smith, Tuilagi.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Evolution v Revolution of that 23 selected, I would suggest that 6 would not be around to push for the 2027 World Cup squad.

George, Cole, Marler, Care Tuilagi Daly.

Not saying all the rest will be picked but it’s a positive situation to be in
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

One step forward.....two steps back.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:26 pm One step forward.....two steps back.
Only 1 enforced change from the team that beat Ireland :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think sometimes,and I’m more guilty than most,we have an idea about a player and no matter what he does we can’t change our mind about him. But I genuinely can’t see ANY attraction with Daly,he’s always a disaster waiting to happen. But he keeps being picked over and over again by different coaches for England and The Lions so there must be something but for me ,as hard as I try, I just don’t see anything. Anyone help?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:05 pm I think sometimes,and I’m more guilty than most,we have an idea about a player and no matter what he does we can’t change our mind about him. But I genuinely can’t see ANY attraction with Daly,he’s always a disaster waiting to happen. But he keeps being picked over and over again by different coaches for England and The Lions so there must be something but for me ,as hard as I try, I just don’t see anything. Anyone help?
He's very good at washing cars?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess with only 3 backs on the bench 2 of those seats will be taken by scrum half and fly half. The 3rd later effectively has to cover wing, centre and full back or enable shuffling amongst the others.
In spite of what has been suggested as a long term option for Freddie, I doubt he’ll be ready to step in as an international centre yet.
Manu can play centre and has played wing on many occasions although he has lost the pace he once had.
Probably the better bench option if he doesn’t start with Freddie. I’d rather do that than have Daly anywhere near the bench.

Daly has earned his reputation at club level but, to use a cricket comparison, he reminds me of Graham Hick. Brilliant at county level but ruthlessly exposed at test level. Some can’t bridge the gap. Others , like David Gower were the opposite. Immediately at ease for England but seeming uninspired by spanking county plodders.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree with all the comments about Daly.

Just a thought that the lack of any premiership rugby during 6 nations has restricted Borthwick selections.
There hasn’t been the chance for anyone, OHC as an example, to put their hand up with some stellar performances.
All there has been is the England A game where Muir and Murley both scored, but it wasn’t exactly strong opposition
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

If you pick a winger for his kicking rather than speed or ability, it says something about how we are going to play.... its almost like someone has forgotten we need to win with a BP to have any chance and would rather win the game 3 nil
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I get why Daly is in there for some experience in the back three as it’s away from home. Freeman and Furbank only have 15 caps between them.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:23 pm France: Barre; Penaud, Fickou, Depoortere, Bielle-Biarrey; Ramos, Le Garrec; Baille, Marchand, Atonio, Flament, Meafou, Cros, Ollivon, Alldritt (capt).

Replacements: Mauvaka, S Taofifenua, Colombe, R Taofifenua, Roumat, Boudehent, Lucu, Moefana.

England: Furbank; Freeman, Slade, Lawrence, Daly; Ford, Mitchell; Genge, George (capt), Cole, Itoje, Martin, Chessum, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Marler, Stuart, Roots, Dombrandt, Care, M Smith, Tuilagi.
No surprises with the French 23. That’s a hefty bench too, that could have an impact in the last 20 minutes. As for the England team, I’m disappointed that Borthers has picked Daly and didn’t go with Muir. I’m looking forward to watching Martin and Meafou collide, which’ll seriously registerer on the Richter Scale!
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Possible reasons for Daly's inclusion:

2 assists so far, more than any other Emgland player, and only 1 fewer than the highest in the tournament.

4 line breaks, equal most for England alongside Freeman, and joint 7th in the tournament.

Doesn't feature anywhere near the top of the "most missed tackles" table, for England or in general.

I would think, if we want England to be more attacking and score tries, someone who assists a lot of tries and makes a lot of line breaks would be worth consideration.

As for Furbank, he's already carried 3rd most metres for England, ahead of Steward, despite playing in the 2 most difficult matches. He's also made more offloads and line breaks than most England players, including Steward. Again, if you want an attacking game, and you want to pick players on merit, then Furbank is the clear first choice 15 right now. Freddie is a great player, but he has some things to work on if he wants his place back.

I don't think it's about Daly's boot or Furbank's ability as extra playmaker, it's just their attacking intent and attacking ability. The boot and the playmaking are just a nice bonus.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 am
Tiglon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am Personally, I think Furbank showed against Ireland why he should be included ahead of Steward. He did some things in attacking play that Steward just isn't likely to.

I don't understand the logic of saying the selection was all wrong after just beating arguably the best team in the world.

All England need to do now is consistently replicate that performance and they'll win a LOT of matches.
Given the obvious change in mindset I’m not sure he did. Freddie would have run Lowe’s kick back and easily scored the try. You have to weigh positive attack against defensive frailties.
I think the selection was spot on and you could say that Furbank contributed to the win.
Consistency is the key one swallow doesn’t make a summer
I've never seen Steward spot an overlap in a split second and sprint 30 metres diagonally across the pitch to exploit it.