2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by GB72 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:23 pm Feyi-Waboso is out with concussion, massive disappointment for him and for the team as I thought he looked a real top prospect
Beaten to it :smt003 :smt003
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I would like to see one of the other wingers given a chance but I suspect that means Daily back on the wing and then perhaps Steward on the bench.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Huge blow for England. IFW really gave us some added impact on the wing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With France being prolific kickers of the ball then surely there's an argument for Steward over Daly on the wing, if he's not being brought in as the Fullback
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:26 pm With France being prolific kickers of the ball then surely there's an argument for Steward over Daly on the wing, if he's not being brought in as the Fullback
I can see Freddie on the left wing v Penaud who is excellent in the air
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

France have actually kicked the 2nd fewest number of times in the 6N so far.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If Daly plays they will kick!

Daly is not a winger and was horribly exposed against Scotland (and the other games for that matter)
He cost us a try against Ireland by not rolling away. Laying on your back and doing the dying fly does not cut it. Ireland kick down the pitch and go on to score a try having been bogged down deep in their own half.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:26 pm With France being prolific kickers of the ball then surely there's an argument for Steward over Daly on the wing, if he's not being brought in as the Fullback
I think that is also a great arguement to have Steward back in his "proper" position at fullback :smt040

Throw Furbank on the wing, if he really has to play! From his last two showings, I really cannot see any argument for his inclusion though, not even his walk-in try.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:47 am
I think that is also a great arguement to have Steward back in his "proper" position at fullback :smt040

Throw Furbank on the wing, if he really has to play! From his last two showings, I really cannot see any argument for his inclusion though, not even his walk-in try.
Couldn't agree more Pellsey. It was three consecutive mistakes by him that gave Ireland some momentum. And they were all mistakes that one would expect a player of international ability to make. The England squad at the Monet is too full of players who flatter to deceive. Eliot Daly, Will Stuart,Henry Slade to name but three. It's a sad indictment on English rugby that such players are anywhere near the match day 23.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:47 am

Totally agree in fact I’d rather Furbank on the wing than Daly, but Borthwick will have a plan, cunning or not
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Personally, I think Furbank showed against Ireland why he should be included ahead of Steward. He did some things in attacking play that Steward just isn't likely to.

I don't understand the logic of saying the selection was all wrong after just beating arguably the best team in the world.

All England need to do now is consistently replicate that performance and they'll win a LOT of matches.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am Personally, I think Furbank showed against Ireland why he should be included ahead of Steward. He did some things in attacking play that Steward just isn't likely to.

I don't understand the logic of saying the selection was all wrong after just beating arguably the best team in the world.

All England need to do now is consistently replicate that performance and they'll win a LOT of matches.
Given the obvious change in mindset I’m not sure he did. Freddie would have run Lowe’s kick back and easily scored the try. You have to weigh positive attack against defensive frailties.
I think the selection was spot on and you could say that Furbank contributed to the win.
Consistency is the key one swallow doesn’t make a summer
Sampy

Post by Sampy »

Furbank definitely showed an attacking edge against Ireland that Steward doesn't have yet. Think they'll be picked depending on the opposition. The positive for tigers is Steward is less likely to be injured if playing less and will push him harder to develop his attacking game to get ahead of Furbank
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Arguing about Freddie or Furbank is missing the point.
The return of Daly creates a huge defensive weakness. Poor positional play and feeble tackling.

I have concerns about Freddie in defence when he turns. Top speed is OK but the acceleration isn’t there yet. On the wing he effectively has to defend deeper to avoid being outgassed. England’s kick and chase is less effective without him. Tap back by the other options isn’t the same as catching it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I wish we could drop the thing about his acceleration it is what it is and without chopping 6 inches off each leg physics indicates it’s very unlikely to change.
Agree about Daly though he seems to be a Borthwick favourite