LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by KiwiTig »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:15 pm Fissler's sources with Tigers have changed but not in the way you think. Steve and the club used to take prospective players or coaches to the Costa Coffee in Oadby for a debrief after they had visited Oval Park. Only problem with that is there used to be someone working at the Costa who knew their rugby, so would tell Fissler for extra cash on the side. It's how Fissler broke us signing Ashton, and it's how he got the front page last year about Gregor Townsend joining Tigers.

Apparently Gregor visited Oval Park early on the Saturday morning after the Clermont away game last season, and went with someone from the club to the Costa afterwards. The next day Fissler got the front page in the Rugby Paper that Townsend was seriously in the running for the Tigers job.

Now either the person has left Costa or the the club have stopped taking people there, but it is one of the reasons i suspect why Fissler is struggling to get stuff out of the club.
I love this as a story.
That’s funny
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by westwinds31 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:03 pm
sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:15 pm Fissler's sources with Tigers have changed but not in the way you think. Steve and the club used to take prospective players or coaches to the Costa Coffee in Oadby for a debrief after they had visited Oval Park. Only problem with that is there used to be someone working at the Costa who knew their rugby, so would tell Fissler for extra cash on the side. It's how Fissler broke us signing Ashton, and it's how he got the front page last year about Gregor Townsend joining Tigers.

Apparently Gregor visited Oval Park early on the Saturday morning after the Clermont away game last season, and went with someone from the club to the Costa afterwards. The next day Fissler got the front page in the Rugby Paper that Townsend was seriously in the running for the Tigers job.

Now either the person has left Costa or the the club have stopped taking people there, but it is one of the reasons i suspect why Fissler is struggling to get stuff out of the club.
I love this as a story.
It is pure gold.
Gold blend maybe ?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I still think Bill W was right about the source of information about Tigers signings. It definitely still is th taxi driver's mother :smt003 .

One for those of us who remember Bill and his admonition to KEEP THE FAITH.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 am I still think Bill W was right about the source of information about Tigers signings. It definitely still is th taxi driver's mother :smt003 .

One for those of us who remember Bill and his admonition to KEEP THE FAITH.
Ah men to that
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I often go into Costas in Oadby, in the past it was regularly used by younger Tigers players and occasionally by other Tigers people. However more recently it seems they go elsewhere, there have been other coffee house open up in the area but whether or not the players use them instead I dont know. I did get a bit excited a couple of years ago when Marchant and his girlfriend sat next to me in Costas, maybe he was considering a move to us, I don't know, maybe he was just visiting a friend? I do know if he likes coffee he should have come to us instead of France, I find it impossible to get a decent size cup of coffee in France.
From my observations staff turnover at Costas would have made it an unreliable source of information for Fisler, at that time he would probably have done better at The Wheel in Oadby but then I have always found Fisler unreliable and believed he got his information from reading these and similar pages.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:40 am I often go into Costas in Oadby, in the past it was regularly used by younger Tigers players and occasionally by other Tigers people. However more recently it seems they go elsewhere, there have been other coffee house open up in the area but whether or not the players use them instead I dont know. I did get a bit excited a couple of years ago when Marchant and his girlfriend sat next to me in Costas, maybe he was considering a move to us, I don't know, maybe he was just visiting a friend? I do know if he likes coffee he should have come to us instead of France, I find it impossible to get a decent size cup of coffee in France.
From my observations staff turnover at Costas would have made it an unreliable source of information for Fisler, at that time he would probably have done better at The Wheel in Oadby but then I have always found Fisler unreliable and believed he got his information from reading these and similar pages.
I believe Dan Cole, Mefin Davies and Stanko used to have a regular table in there. Before that it was the coffee shop above the Waterstones that was at fosse park
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Waisea Nayacalevu apparently signed for Sale on a 1 year deal with 1 year option to replace Manu.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:31 pm Waisea Nayacalevu apparently signed for Sale on a 1 year deal with 1 year option to replace Manu.
Very good player, 1+1 year deal makes sense given he'll be 34 come the start of next season.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Presume this is a joke???

I know for a fact GT was never in the running……
glenn

Post by glenn »

Some of the players tend to use a local garden centres cafe now..I have seen them a few times on various visits
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigersunited wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:28 am

Presume this is a joke???

I know for a fact GT was never in the running……
I think that is the point, GT went there for a social coffee with someone from the club and that ended up as a front page that he was in the running for the Tigers job.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Not sure where to put this and as it relates to funding this seems as good a place as anywhere.

MP for Gloucester raised concerns about the repayment of Covid loans by rugby clubs today in Parliament.

The reply was that there were on going discussions with the RFU and the Premier League about the future of rugby.

Nice to see this brought up at last as it is the loans made to keep clubs running that are potentially killing them.

Interested to see what comes out of this.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

why would the Premier League get involved? Given the snobby attitude most Rugby fans have about Football I'd refuse to help on principle alone but then I'm vindictive.

Rugby has had 20 years to set itself up properly but is large part still tries to run like its the amateur era
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm why would the Premier League get involved? Given the snobby attitude most Rugby fans have about Football I'd refuse to help on principle alone but then I'm vindictive.

Rugby has had 20 years to set itself up properly but is large part still tries to run like its the amateur era
I assumed it was PRL Sunak was meaning along with the RFU as opposed to anything to do with the football Premier League.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm why would the Premier League get involved? Given the snobby attitude most Rugby fans have about Football I'd refuse to help on principle alone but then I'm vindictive.

There was no mention of Football in the question or the response, it was referred to the RFU and Premiership League and Clubs should refer to Sports England with regards to any issues repaying the loans.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk