LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by GB72 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:15 pm Fissler's sources with Tigers have changed but not in the way you think. Steve and the club used to take prospective players or coaches to the Costa Coffee in Oadby for a debrief after they had visited Oval Park. Only problem with that is there used to be someone working at the Costa who knew their rugby, so would tell Fissler for extra cash on the side. It's how Fissler broke us signing Ashton, and it's how he got the front page last year about Gregor Townsend joining Tigers.

Apparently Gregor visited Oval Park early on the Saturday morning after the Clermont away game last season, and went with someone from the club to the Costa afterwards. The next day Fissler got the front page in the Rugby Paper that Townsend was seriously in the running for the Tigers job.

Now either the person has left Costa or the the club have stopped taking people there, but it is one of the reasons i suspect why Fissler is struggling to get stuff out of the club.
That is just hilarious, a club and a coach keen to keep things to themselves rumbled by doing what is perhaps not the most sensible thing and taking prospective signings to the Costa nearest the training ground. :smt003 :smt003
Knightonian

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Knightonian »

I think in the Andrea Pinchen interview she implies that nearly all our recruitment for next year is done

I think this is the Rolling Maul one

Pherhaps Elliot would like to confirm

#aviewfromLe2
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Knightonian wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:37 pm I think in the Andrea Pinchen interview she implies that nearly all our recruitment for next year is done

I think this is the Rolling Maul one

Pherhaps Elliot would like to confirm

#aviewfromLe2
That was the same takeaway i had. No idea how much has been done, but that is what i thought she implied.

Ironically Perese was one on my list as highly likely to sign, along with Ellof. Anyone else would be nice surprises and bonuses.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:15 pm Fissler's sources with Tigers have changed but not in the way you think. Steve and the club used to take prospective players or coaches to the Costa Coffee in Oadby for a debrief after they had visited Oval Park. Only problem with that is there used to be someone working at the Costa who knew their rugby, so would tell Fissler for extra cash on the side. It's how Fissler broke us signing Ashton, and it's how he got the front page last year about Gregor Townsend joining Tigers.

Apparently Gregor visited Oval Park early on the Saturday morning after the Clermont away game last season, and went with someone from the club to the Costa afterwards. The next day Fissler got the front page in the Rugby Paper that Townsend was seriously in the running for the Tigers job.

Now either the person has left Costa or the the club have stopped taking people there, but it is one of the reasons i suspect why Fissler is struggling to get stuff out of the club.
I love this as a story.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm

I love this as a story.
It is pure gold.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Costa Coffee too - whoever was at the club needed to get some standards! No wonder we missed out on Hernandez back in the day!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

That makes a lot of sense and shows how these sources can come from anywhere.
I like the idea of someone at the club trying to find a leak and setting up a sting with the costa crew.

Although my point re Fissler sources was more aimed at pre Borthwick when it felt that Fissler was being given names directly from those involved every week.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am Fissler reporting Quins are attempting to "gazzump" us for Pereise.

More concerningly he states "The Tigers, who have met with several players from the Premiership, United Rugby Championship and Super Rugby, are yet to get a deal across the line."

Now perhaps I'm guilty of over reading & he only means literally the Pereise deal (Fissler is a big fan of vague wording that doesn't quite say what people think) but I'm reading that as us having not signed anyone new for next season yet. Which would be leaving things until quite late in the day.
Andrea said last week that our recruitment was pretty much done, I will take her word over that chancer
LtPigeon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LtPigeon »

According to Fissler, Matt Scott in talks with Edinburgh, whilst he competes his degree

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scotland ... er-tigers/
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LtPigeon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:50 pm According to Fissler, Matt Scott in talks with Edinburgh, whilst he competes his degree

Tbf his source for that could even be this forum, been discussed on here that he's looking on going back North
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm
LtPigeon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:50 pm According to Fissler, Matt Scott in talks with Edinburgh, whilst he competes his degree

Tbf his source for that could even be this forum, been discussed on here that he's looking on going back North
Yes I can’t remember who, apologies, but a poster was certain on his return to Edinburgh where I believe he has some business interests. Would be a good signing as a back up centre
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:04 pm
sk 88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am Fissler reporting Quins are attempting to "gazzump" us for Pereise.

More concerningly he states "The Tigers, who have met with several players from the Premiership, United Rugby Championship and Super Rugby, are yet to get a deal across the line."

Now perhaps I'm guilty of over reading & he only means literally the Pereise deal (Fissler is a big fan of vague wording that doesn't quite say what people think) but I'm reading that as us having not signed anyone new for next season yet. Which would be leaving things until quite late in the day.
Andrea said last week that our recruitment was pretty much done, I will take her word over that chancer
Our recruitment might be done, but until it's announced the rumours will still abound.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:21 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm

Yes I can’t remember who, apologies, but a poster was certain on his return to Edinburgh where I believe he has some business interests. Would be a good signing as a back up centre
Not necessarily a back up. Edinburgh aren't exactly flush with quality centres.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tigers offered Scott a deal on reduced terms and he refused. That might also point to us having centres signed up for next year who are considered higher picks...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:43 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:04 pm

Our recruitment might be done, but until it's announced the rumours will still abound.
true but rumours mean nothing we saw with OHC the deal was done months before being announced, so long as the players sign on the line that's what matters