2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just shows the nature of the beast that is the England press and supporter.
A team that many were writing off by 20 plus points, has just outplayed and beaten a team that most pundits put at the top of the world rankings, and yet all that can be debated is the way the game was won and after 80 minutes should another risk be taken.

Hopefully we win in France but if not no doubt we will be back to being the worse team in the 6 nations
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm Id hazard an educated guess that those bemoaning not going for the TBP wouldve gone absolutely crackers if we hadve given away a turnover penalty if we hadve gone multi phase and advantage over was called!
I think that would have been an unlikely outcome, the same as Smith missing the drop goal would be or missing the penalty.

Again i am not bemoaning the decision, performance or outcome. Just think that decision is an interesting one in terms of a wider talking point.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I just want to point out 2 things from yesterday,the first how dominant our pack was. Bar JVDF who imo was their best player ,we were comfortably better from 1-8. Their second row and back row was anonymous for the most part. Secondly ,even though the 6-2 came back to haunt them,I have to congratulate Ireland on how well they coped. JGP was phenomenal on the wing! And the win was what mattered most,do you think folk will really be wondering about a TBP opportunity when all is said and done? Absolutely not! It will be the incredible performance and nature of a last ditch DG win. This will be up there with the historical games that are always talked about. Well done England and well done March Smith,completely the right decision! Now on to France!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm Id hazard an educated guess that those bemoaning not going for the TBP wouldve gone absolutely crackers if we hadve given away a turnover penalty if we hadve gone multi phase and advantage over was called!
I think that would have been an unlikely outcome, the same as Smith missing the drop goal would be or missing the penalty.

Again i am not bemoaning the decision, performance or outcome. Just think that decision is an interesting one in terms of a wider talking point.
I understand you’re not bemoaning the decision but at the end of 80 minutes of test rugby it’s about the right decision not the interesting one.
One point about Smith is that is his ability has never been questioned, his game management has. Imo that was put to bed yesterday
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It reminds me a little of the guy who found a fiver and moaned that it wasn’t a twenty pound note :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm

I understand you’re not bemoaning the decision but at the end of 80 minutes of test rugby it’s about the right decision not the interesting one.
One point about Smith is that is his ability has never been questioned, his game management has. Imo that was put to bed yesterday
I'm still not convinced but happy to have opposing views.

I would be interested to see what a fully firing South Africa, France or Ireland would do in the same situation. It is about ruthlessness and confidence to me which is the wider talking point. The bonus points may not matter this time but one day they might and if the attitude to go for it is ingrained it is easier to pull off.

Yes it was a great win and a great performance but i am sure the coaches won't be sitting on their laurels thinking England are the finished article. The fact that we were behind at half time despite being dominant in terms of territory and possession is bound to be a point of discussion; which i believe is related to the kind of decisions we are talking about.

By no means am i unhappy we won or in the manner we won. I just think it is an interesting thing to talk about and observe going forward.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:42 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 pm

I'm still not convinced but happy to have opposing views.

I would be interested to see what a fully firing South Africa, France or Ireland would do in the same situation. It is about ruthlessness and confidence to me which is the wider talking point. The bonus points may not matter this time but one day they might and if the attitude to go for it is ingrained it is easier to pull off.

Yes it was a great win and a great performance but i am sure the coaches won't be sitting on their laurels thinking England are the finished article. The fact that we were behind at half time despite being dominant in terms of territory and possession is bound to be a point of discussion; which i believe is related to the kind of decisions we are talking about.

By no means am i unhappy we won or in the manner we won. I just think it is an interesting thing to talk about and observe going forward.
I absolutely almost cast iron guarantee that they would all have gone for the win! Tables turned yesterday and you really believe Ireland would’ve played for the TBP? Sorry,but I don’t. But it’s a good talking point though :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is there anything we can point to previously? I’m trying to rack my brains :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s a good debate always good to have conflicting views.
Can never be 100% certain but if it had been Handre Pollard taking the ball instead of Smith I’m certain he’d have taken the drop too
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

So trying to get back to a bigger picture. England seem to consistantly kick away a penalty advantage in the red zone rather than go for the try.

I would say i seem to observe the opposite from teams like SA, NZ, Ireland and France during the world cup. Ireland demonstrated that yesterday at times. I know they didnt win but they very nearly did and stayed ahead for a lot of the game despite being out muscled and out played.

I hope that application of pressure will come with confidence and yesterday was a big step forward o that front.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:13 pm So trying to get back to a bigger picture. England seem to consistantly kick away a penalty advantage in the red zone rather than go for the try.

I would say i seem to observe the opposite from teams like SA, NZ, Ireland and France during the world cup. Ireland demonstrated that yesterday at times. I know they didnt win but they very nearly did and stayed ahead for a lot of the game despite being out muscled and out played.

I hope that application of pressure will come with confidence and yesterday was a big step forward o that front.
Yes,what was Care doing?! I know that wasn’t a penalty advantage but we were building pressure
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

A similar situation arose 25 years ago, at Wembley. It finished Wales 32-31 England but England were six points up near the end of the match and had the opportunity to kick a fairly straightforward penalty to make it "two scores". They opted for the lineout, Wales turned it over and Gibbs scored a try the other end. Conversion and that was it - Dayglo's ego cost England the grand slam, championship and triple crown.Scotland won the (last) 5 Nations on points difference.
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:14 pm
Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:13 pm So trying to get back to a bigger picture. England seem to consistantly kick away a penalty advantage in the red zone rather than go for the try.

Yes,what was Care doing?! I know that wasn’t a penalty advantage but we were building pressure
Who knows what Care was thinking... that is a good example of what i mean though. The confidence to keep ball in hand and work through the phases.

@not a jock

If in the dying moments yesterday no advantage was coming and we were called back for the penalty there is no way i would have advocated kicking for the corner 😂
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

So enjoyed Max Boyce and Hymns and Arias. The Welsh do have some good songs!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

CJ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:06 pm So enjoyed Max Boyce and Hymns and Arias. The Welsh do have some good songs!
No Max Boyce on French tv 😀
Semper in excretia