Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Retiredseven »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:53 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am Rugbypass also echoing a poster on here yesterday about going for the BP try with the luxury of the penalty. Me personally I believe the correct decision was made. It doesn’t happen often but refs can sometimes call a red zone penalty advantage over after a number of phases and knowing our luck we would’ve given away a turnover penalty and lost after advantage over was called. Correct decision for me 100%,but I see the point being made
Yep, get the win. The commentators in the ITA v SCO match were banging on about the bonus point from the 13th minute. Look how that ended. Get the win.

The "yeah great, you beat Ireland but where's the TBP you losers?" attitude from the English media and public is proof that there's really nothing an England team can do to make everyone happy.
I'm not trying to be down on the team it was a really good performance and a spectacular win.

I just think the 'revert to kick' when a penalty advantage is called in the red zone shows a loack of positivity and confidence. As well as being partially responsible for a poor points return vs red zone visits.

It is the thing that had me screaming at the tv the most yesterday!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:02 am CCS won’t be fit with a calf injury for France with Slade 50/50. Chessum apparently fine after a stinger to his shoulder. If Slade is out, does he shift Freeman to 13 or Daly? Hoping the rumours of Marchant back to Saracens are true because I rated him at the WC.
Or does Manu come in at 12 with Lawrence to 13

Edit this after some thought. Much of Englands success yesterday came from having another ball player, Slade at 13, who regularly interchanged with Ford as first receiver. If Slade isn’t fit, and they want to keep that shape the only other option is Daly
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:10 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:53 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am Rugbypass also echoing a poster on here yesterday about going for the BP try with the luxury of the penalty. Me personally I believe the correct decision was made. It doesn’t happen often but refs can sometimes call a red zone penalty advantage over after a number of phases and knowing our luck we would’ve given away a turnover penalty and lost after advantage over was called. Correct decision for me 100%,but I see the point being made
Yep, get the win. The commentators in the ITA v SCO match were banging on about the bonus point from the 13th minute. Look how that ended. Get the win.

The "yeah great, you beat Ireland but where's the TBP you losers?" attitude from the English media and public is proof that there's really nothing an England team can do to make everyone happy.
I'm not trying to be down on the team it was a really good performance and a spectacular win.

I just think the 'revert to kick' when a penalty advantage is called in the red zone shows a loack of positivity and confidence. As well as being partially responsible for a poor points return vs red zone visits.

But playing devils advocate what if they had gone for the 7 points and not got it and Smith was left with the easier of the 2 penalty kicks near the 15 meter line on the lhs. Yes you would expect him to get it but no guarantee.
If anything the maturity to go for the drop goal was a positive approach. I don’t remember fan’s criticism of Ford for dropping those goals in RWC
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Daly came on.
First act was to give away a needless penalty by thrashing his legs doing the dying fly instead of rolling away.
It almost doesn't matter who they play instead of Daly.

As for going for a bonus point try at the end.
Better to win than risk losing. The bonus point will be irrelevant if we beat France. It certainly would have been had we squandered a win.
Attempting the drop goal was an extra chance of kicking the points. If the attack had petered out it would have all been on the penalty kick.
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

I think the risk of losing was very low at that point... i would expect an international kicker to nail that penalty.

It is part of a bigger picture for me about the team backing itself.

However having said that; the win is massively important in terms of team morale so hopefully we will see more positive play as a result going forward.

I think we are starting to see a different style of play from England now though that shows a lot of promise. I do have some concerns that we do see a certain number of more experienced players reverting to type and putting ball to boot when it does not seem like the right call.

I am not an anti kick person - i think it is hugely important in the right place and manner ... that includes drop goals!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

What had me screaming at the tv was the Irish commentator, whoever he was, continually referring to 'Devoto' when he obviously hadn't noticed that it was Devoto's Exeter former team mate who was playing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:52 am
What had me screaming at the tv was the Irish commentator, whoever he was, continually referring to 'Devoto' when he obviously hadn't noticed that it was Devoto's Exeter former team mate who was playing.
What channel were you watching ?
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:25 pm I think there was enough to indicate that Daly & Ford should have played their last game for England.
GF's kicking was poor but for 50 odd minutes he marshalled the best attacking game that England have had for years.

Totally agree about Daly...useless
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am
TNT. Did I mishear?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am

TNT. Did I mishear?
It was on ITV with Leicester lad Nick Mullins commentating
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am Attempting the drop goal was an extra chance of kicking the points. If the attack had petered out it would have all been on the penalty kick.
As it would have been had the DG missed.

Considering the TBP for table position and factors going into last round was bigger picture thinking, some don't agree, which is all fine. The win was important for many reasons, psychological especially, giving confidence within the team group and a view to those outside that England are not all bad at all.

The 2nd pen given was, give or take, about 5m, maybe 10m to the left of the posts, no kick rush for a pen. If an international kicker doesn't consider that a 'gimme' I don't know why they're kicking.
Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 am I am not an anti kick person - i think it is hugely important in the right place and manner ... that includes drop goals!
Absolutely agree, I'm not anti-kick either. The here and now is important, result in isolation.

All academic now, game done, game won.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:07 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am Attempting the drop goal was an extra chance of kicking the points. If the attack had petered out it would have all been on the penalty kick.
As it would have been had the DG missed.

Considering the TBP for table position and factors going into last round was bigger picture thinking, some don't agree, which is all fine. The win was important for many reasons, psychological especially, giving confidence within the team group and a view to those outside that England are not all bad at all.

The 2nd pen given was, give or take, about 5m, maybe 10m to the left of the posts, no kick rush for a pen. If an international kicker doesn't consider that a 'gimme' I don't know why they're kicking.
Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:40 am I am not an anti kick person - i think it is hugely important in the right place and manner ... that includes drop goals!
Absolutely agree, I'm not anti-kick either. The here and now is important, result in isolation.

All academic now, game done, game won.
It's all about the risk vs reward, isn't it. I agree the risk of missing the penalty is incredibly low, but it happens (I saw Dan Carter miss an easier one at Twickenham a decade ago). The reward of going for TBP was pretty low too, though, because the chances of us overtaking Ireland are incredibly low regardless. If a converted try had denied Ireland a LBP as well, then it's perhaps a different matter.

I don't think it's an obvious call either way, so having to make the decision under that pressure is incredibly difficult to do.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Id hazard an educated guess that those bemoaning not going for the TBP wouldve gone absolutely crackers if we hadve given away a turnover penalty if we hadve gone multi phase and advantage over was called!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm Id hazard an educated guess that those bemoaning not going for the TBP wouldve gone absolutely crackers if we hadve given away a turnover penalty if we hadve gone multi phase and advantage over was called!
Remember Robshaws decision in the World Cup v Wales? Very costly
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:23 pm Id hazard an educated guess that those bemoaning not going for the TBP wouldve gone absolutely crackers if we hadve given away a turnover penalty if we hadve gone multi phase and advantage over was called!
Not really, your guess is way off the mark in respect of me. England winning was good for the wider game, not just their own. They deserved the win on the balance of play and should be rightly proud of beating one of the Top teams in the World right now.

No 'bemoaning' going on, a simple observation on a possibility - and subsequent discussion on alternatives/comments offered in reply.

Sorry for offering a different opinion / point for discussion.
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:29 pm
Remember Robshaws decision in the World Cup v Wales? Very costly
And very different circumstances. Penalty to sticks or corner, corner opted for, no advantage once done, anything thereafter was more risk. No guarantee the kick for points would have been successful either.

Playing with advantage versus, decision what to do with play stopped and penalty awarded.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.