2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Scott1 »

fortysix wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:30 am Unfortunately for Steward, its obvious that Flaky Furbank is miles quicker, and despite some horror errors, he is now the No 1
And unfortunately, next on thre block is Hodge, quicker than FF. So as I suggested on here weeks ago, its time for Freddie to restart as a centre. ?
No it isn’t for me,but what could be scary is that if Steward continues to be left out may he eventually want to go abroad for that big money move? We can’t rule it out
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am
fortysix wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:30 am Unfortunately for Steward, its obvious that Flaky Furbank is miles quicker, and despite some horror errors, he is now the No 1
And unfortunately, next on thre block is Hodge, quicker than FF. So as I suggested on here weeks ago, its time for Freddie to restart as a centre. ?
No it isn’t for me,but what could be scary is that if Steward continues to be left out may he eventually want to go abroad for that big money move? We can’t rule it out
Apart from the fact that he’s just signed a new contract for Tigers and he’s very young so plenty of time to chase the money later in his career.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am
Apart from the fact that he’s just signed a new contract for Tigers and he’s very young so plenty of time to chase the money later in his career.
“Eventually”…..
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbypass also echoing a poster on here yesterday about going for the BP try with the luxury of the penalty. Me personally I believe the correct decision was made. It doesn’t happen often but refs can sometimes call a red zone penalty advantage over after a number of phases and knowing our luck we would’ve given away a turnover penalty and lost after advantage over was called. Correct decision for me 100%,but I see the point being made
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I said before the tournament that given the away games 3/5 would be viewed as successful given where this team is so fair play to SB.

For me if fit I’d bring back Steward and M.Smith into the XV against France with Roots and F.Smith on the bench. Personally rate Roots for his carrying.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:07 am I said before the tournament that given the away games 3/5 would be viewed as successful given where this team is so fair play to SB.

For me if fit I’d bring back Steward and M.Smith into the XV against France with Roots and F.Smith on the bench. Personally rate Roots for his carrying.
Yes you did! 4/5 would be exceptional considering,I’ll admit I was wrong. I said 2/5
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

And yet he looked to be really blowing when he scored his try. Imo these guys aren’t that much quicker than Steward he takes slightly longer to get going because of his stride, he’s also more powerful
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am Rugbypass also echoing a poster on here yesterday about going for the BP try with the luxury of the penalty. Me personally I believe the correct decision was made. It doesn’t happen often but refs can sometimes call a red zone penalty advantage over after a number of phases and knowing our luck we would’ve given away a turnover penalty and lost after advantage over was called. Correct decision for me 100%,but I see the point being made
100% the wrong decision for me. Just like ford kicking away penalty advantages in the red zone to take the points! (Which he didnt always get).

I thought it just showed up Smith's inexperience and tendency for glory.

Variety is the spice of life though and the world would be dull if we all thought the aame thing!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:27 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 am Rugbypass also echoing a poster on here yesterday about going for the BP try with the luxury of the penalty. Me personally I believe the correct decision was made. It doesn’t happen often but refs can sometimes call a red zone penalty advantage over after a number of phases and knowing our luck we would’ve given away a turnover penalty and lost after advantage over was called. Correct decision for me 100%,but I see the point being made
100% the wrong decision for me. Just like ford kicking away penalty advantages in the red zone to take the points! (Which he didnt always get).

I thought it just showed up Smith's inexperience and tendency for glory.

Variety is the spice of life though and the world would be dull if we all thought the aame thing!
Disagree all about the win. If anything it shows Smiths continuing maturity as 12 months ago he would have gone for the Hail Mary ball, which probably wouldn’t have worked rather than the drop goal.
Imo 100% the right call neither of the penalties were gimmies
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Aren’t France the team that kick the most in the Six Nations. Away in Paris, you’re going to want Steward at the back. I’d say him and Furbank must have the same top speed. Hodge on the other hand is rapid.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:42 am Aren’t France the team that kick the most in the Six Nations. Away in Paris, you’re going to want Steward at the back. I’d say him and Furbank must have the same top speed. Hodge on the other hand is rapid.
If they were playing in Paris 🤣. Game is in Lyon, I think, don’t get the Hodge thing, reminds me too much of Balshaw, great going forward, not so great defending
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Yep, get the win. The commentators in the ITA v SCO match were banging on about the bonus point from the 13th minute. Look how that ended. Get the win.

The "yeah great, you beat Ireland but where's the TBP you losers?" attitude from the English media and public is proof that there's really nothing an England team can do to make everyone happy.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I agree - France will be looking to win in any way they can - it almost certainly won't be pretty and if Furbank is FB then they'll rain down kicks onto him and IFW (and look to kick in behind IFW to keep him turning back towards his own line) all game long.

I think SB will know that and Steward will come in to negate that potential tactic but if he sticks with Furbank then it might not be a bad game for Freddie to miss because it will probably highlight his strengths in a game that we struggle in.

And anyway lets face it, it would be England if we don't take one step forward and then 3 back!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:33 am Irelands 14 forwards used carried 29 metres less than Earl did on his own! Incredible defensive effort and how good is Earl? Up there with the worlds best back row players at the moment! Can do it all,and Kieran Read and Parisse both proved for years that the number 8 position isn’t always about hard yards on the carry
Ben Earl has carried nearly 50% more times than anyone else in the tournament so far. Most metres carried by a forward, most metres gained by a forward, 3rd most defensive ruck involvements... that's some work rate.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

CCS won’t be fit with a calf injury for France with Slade 50/50. Chessum apparently fine after a stinger to his shoulder. If Slade is out, does he shift Freeman to 13 or Daly? Hoping the rumours of Marchant back to Saracens are true because I rated him at the WC.