Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by KiwiTig »

JohnB wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:23 pm Looks bad but has Furlong made a meal of it?
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/tmo-seems-to ... nge-590468
Certainly looks like a sniper in the crowd
totally agree with our collective lack of recognition about our lack of appreciation of the human side of players

Touch of victim blaming there. It looked bad in real time and I was surprised that the TMO didn’t look at it. It may well lead to a citing.

There was a lot of emotion from Ben Earl after the game. Not surprised as much of the punditry and much of comment on English MBs and, yes, Irish MBs too, in the run up to the game was unpleasantly personal at times. We forget that players are human beings with feelings.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Harley1850 is a bit quiet tonight,usually can’t stop him crowing :smt005 (all good fun of course)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:23 pm Looks bad but has Furlong made a meal of it?
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/tmo-seems-to ... nge-590468
Certainly looks like a sniper in the crowd
It was a couple of phases before there was a headshot on Genge that the TMO didn't look at as he was busy disallowing a England try at that point...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the English often get labelled arrogant but there is none more arrogant or smug than a Celt who have a win over England, hopefully we can have a repeat in a few weeks time
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:43 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:40 pm Borths got it absolutely spot on with Chessum at 6!
Don’t love him at 6. Think you’ve got to pick your best two second rowers and tick the third on the bench.
No,it worked for me perfectly this game. Could be different v France though
For some of the scrums Chessum packed down at 8.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Best I’ve seen England play for a while. Certainly more intent to attack but thought Care was very poor when he came on especially his box kicking.
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Care definitely in decline, not sure who else is knocking on the door though, until JvP returns. Ford still has plenty to offer alongside Marcus Smith.

Anyway, great performance, great result. Need to back it up with another strong show against France.

There's a lot of potential in this England setup and squad, they just need time. A few positions that are still a worry, but there's a lot of talent breaking through and you can see the progression under Borthwick.

England can't attack?

Borthwick out?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:43 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:42 pm

Don’t love him at 6. Think you’ve got to pick your best two second rowers and tick the third on the bench.
No,it worked for me perfectly this game. Could be different v France though
For some of the scrums Chessum packed down at 8.
Defensive scrums, as Earl is quicker off the mark
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:49 pm Care definitely in decline, not sure who else is knocking on the door though, until JvP returns. Ford still has plenty to offer alongside Marcus Smith.

Anyway, great performance, great result. Need to back it up with another strong show against France.

There's a lot of potential in this England setup and squad, they just need time. A few positions that are still a worry, but there's a lot of talent breaking through and you can see the progression under Borthwick.

England can't attack?

Borthwick out?
Always one zzzzzzzz :smt003 :smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yeah on defensive scrums you want fastest (& most experienced) flankers on the flank to defend and get off the scrum well. Also more effective having your most powerful guy at 8 to give the most power in the scrum. Especially if you have an 8 used to playing on the flank and a hybrid lock/blindside at 6 it makes sense.

Tigers have done it a number of times.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Unusually watched the England-Ireland game in the pub with an Irish friend who accepted England were "uncharacteristically good".
England team selection mostly making sense aside from the choice of 15. Based on the evidence I simply can't understand why Steward isn't in that position v Furbank, but given the domestic teams involved with those two, my opinion is hardly surprising!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Still buzzing ,fantastic performance. But we have to now make sure it isn’t a one off. It’s one none of us saw coming as we were night and day compared to our other recent performances. Credit goes to all the coaches. It could be exciting times ahead as at times we were incredible! Let’s hope it wasn’t just one of those siege mentality type deals we see in sports,let’s build on this now!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:49 pm Care definitely in decline, not sure who else is knocking on the door though, until JvP returns. Ford still has plenty to offer alongside Marcus Smith.

England can't attack?

Borthwick out?
Agree with all the above except the tongue in cheek bit. Care is in decline but in JVPs absence, and Quirkes decline he’s the next best option. Ford goal kicking was off, and a couple of over kicked bombs, normally has Steward after them, his general play was good and mixed well with Slade as 1st/2nd receiver. It would be good to see Smith start, but Ford is the ultimate professional so he may play again.
Word for the Tigers lads. Chessum, the next Lawes, certainly was comfortable in that position and covered some ground, I hope it’s another string to his bow and not a permanent move. One thing it does allow England to start with 3 of their best forwards.
Martin is just a phenomenon all strength and power, hit on Henderson, I think was a rib breaker, I’m going to say when fit he is England’s premier 4.
Cole, considering the guy is 37 in 2 month’s time was superb. Nullified Porter at scrum time, tackled round the fringes, cleared rucks, often 3rd man there and won a line out. Going to leave a considerable hole when he stops
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Unfortunately for Steward, its obvious that Flaky Furbank is miles quicker, and despite some horror errors, he is now the No 1
And unfortunately, next on thre block is Hodge, quicker than FF. So as I suggested on here weeks ago, its time for Freddie to restart as a centre. ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Irelands 14 forwards used carried 29 metres less than Earl did on his own! Incredible defensive effort and how good is Earl? Up there with the worlds best back row players at the moment! Can do it all,and Kieran Read and Parisse both proved for years that the number 8 position isn’t always about hard yards on the carry