GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by GB72 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:25 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:31 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:14 pm

A quick check on google says no it is not.
Thanks!
BBC/ITV are expected to bid strongly to continue with 6N rights, but who knows if somebody else comes out swinging with a bid.
My worry is that TNT apply their money spent on Premiership rugby to try and secure the 6 Nations. From a viewing, marketing and ad revenue point of view, would they be much weaker if they had basically all of the home internationals plus the european club games. Is the prem really adding value to that would have to be the question.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Thanks!
BBC/ITV are expected to bid strongly to continue with 6N rights, but who knows if somebody else comes out swinging with a bid.
My worry is that TNT apply their money spent on Premiership rugby to try and secure the 6 Nations. From a viewing, marketing and ad revenue point of view, would they be much weaker if they had basically all of the home internationals plus the european club games. Is the prem really adding value to that would have to be the question.
I guess the benefit of a full season is a regular stream of content for customers.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here's the probable French side to play in Cardiff on Sunday:

15. Barré ; 14. Penaud, 13. Fickou, 12. Depoortere, 11. Bielle-Biarrey ; 10. Ramos ; 9. Le Garrec ; 7.Ollivon, 8. Alldritt (cap), 6. Cros ; 5.Meafou, 4. Flament ; 3. Atonio, 2. Marchand, 1. Baille.

Remplaçants : 16. Mauvaka, 17. S. Taofifenua, 18. Colombe, 19. R. Taofifenua, 20. Roumat, 21. Boudehent, 22. Lucu, 23. Moefana.

It's a side that has some significant changes.
Firstly, the forwards: all change in the second row with Emmanuel Meafou winning his first cap (25 years old 6'5" and about 140kgs. Born in NZ of Samoan parents and began rugby in Australia and joined the Toulouse Academy in November 2018 and became a French national in November 2023 and having been a resident for 5 years, he qualifies to play for France) and Thibault Flament, also of Toulouse, and in 2018/19 was a student at Loughborough and it's rumoured that he turned out for Loughborough Town 3rds! Gregory Alldritt is back and as captain and Julian Marchand starts at hooker with Peato Mauvaka on the bench.
In the backs we have Léo Barré, 21and ex France U20 of Stade Français at fullback and Bordeaux/Bègles centre Nicolas Depoortére, also 21 and ex U20, who both win their first caps. Racing's Nolann le Garrec starts at scrum half and Thomas Ramos moves from fullback to outside half.

This is a potentially very exciting side and an extremely physical one with plenty of beef on the bench too, that will surely be too much for Wales.

Allez les Bleus!!!
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The other issue is world ranking for the next World Cup.
The balance of maintaining that to get a seeding against maximum development for that Work Cup is tricky.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Darc Tiger wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:06 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:31 am

I guess the benefit of a full season is a regular stream of content for customers.
I would think there's benefit. At £25 per month, it doesn't take many thousand rugby fans buying TNT just for Prem rugby (like me) to bring in millions of revenue. I'm not saying they're getting rich off it, but it shouldn't be a loss either.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

One consideration is that if the rugby coverage is spread across multiple pay channels fans will have to decide if they opt for 1 or other, all or neither.

I have Sky and TNT as part of a package, I couldn't justify Amazon for a few AI games.

Some who might have stretched to 1 sports package if all the rugby was there may decide otherwise if the sport is spread too thinly.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I've just seen the England team to face Ireland. Furbank is retained... Surely Steward must be injured. Unless SB has completely lost his mind, especially after Furbank's showing last week!?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:05 pm I've just seen the England team to face Ireland. Furbank is retained... Surely Steward must be injured. Unless SB has completely lost his mind, especially after Furbank's showing last week!?
Steward been pictured training. Obviously feels Furbank needs another chance.
Assume Root injured with Chessum @ 6 and Dombrant on the bench
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

England Line-up v Ireland
Furbank; Feyi-Waboso, Slade, Lawrence, Freeman; Ford, Mitchell; Genge, George (capt), Cole, Itoje, Martin, Chessum, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Marler, Stuart, Cunningham-South, Dombrandt, Care, M Smith, Daly.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

H Keenan, C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe, J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong, J McCarthy, T Beirne, P O’Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris.
Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, I Henderson, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, C Frawley.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ireland by 11-15
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:13 pm
Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:05 pm I've just seen the England team to face Ireland. Furbank is retained... Surely Steward must be injured. Unless SB has completely lost his mind, especially after Furbank's showing last week!?
Steward been pictured training. Obviously feels Furbank needs another chance.
Assume Root injured with Chessum @ 6 and Dombrant on the bench
I just watched the press conference and SB said everyone was fit and available for selection 😳
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:47 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:31 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:56 pm Have to wonder what is going through Freddie’s mind this evening. No doubt he is a team player but there must be the tiniest hint of schadenfreude in there.
probably got a slight smirk on over his beer
I think it’s a poor selection decision to cope with England’s lack of creativity to drop your best back of the past two years.

For over a decade England’s midfield has been constantly changing and we are still having the same arguments. It has now affected a cornerstone of the team and that should be a very concerning thought.
Poor Freddie must be scratching his head. At least he will be fresh for the Slater Cup.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

what's the point playing Furbank when we don't bother training the attack? Ireland will pepper him too
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Load of rhubarb.

Glad I'm Irish drinking Guinness and going by the name Big O'Dai.

What good enough for the Boke Jock is good enough for me!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"