LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Regrettably Watson is Manu mark 2. Great when available but not available enough. I suspect that like Manu he doesn't come cheap either. In these days of financial difficulties can we really afford to keep him?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Interesting to listen to the Rolling Maul pod this morning interviewing Andrea who said that we're almost there with player (and coaching) recruitment for next season and after checking what she's allowed to say suggested that we should hear something *soon*...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:24 am
LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:18 am
GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am

Certainly hope that the communication issues are raised when Andrea talks to the Rolling Maul Podcast today. Really seeing that as an opportunity to get some answers for the supporters. I really do feel like we need some good news and some good promotion to kick start the interest in the season again which, lets be honest, a lot of people who are not die hard fans have pretty much forgotten about.
Agreed we need something, this disjointed season is driving me mad, no rugby, no meaningful communication, just endless emails telling you how to spend/earn useless points. Its bad for fans but what about the players, just kicking their heals, going through a preseason training mid season, they will be so rusty, expect to see more dropped catches etc because of the long layoff? :smt017 :smt022
Still cannot understand why the PRC final was not last weekend when there was no highest level english rugby but instead is on a weekend that clashes with the gold cup, super Saturday and is only 5 days from the season kicking off. Rugby shooting itself in the foot again.

As for the communication, just something to get the fires burning again would be great. We sort of managed it during 2 years of covid but cannot do it during 6 weeks of the 6 Nations. Social media should have been awash with Freddy Steward posts after the Wales game, Dan Coles kick chase etc likewise, the club seems unable to promote that these great players in an England shirt play for us for the rest of the season and use that to sell tickets etc.
I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thought the clubs fan engagement has been poor these last 8 weeks, I put it as a comment on the rolling mauls twitter to ask Andrea Pinchen about, and got shot down being told tigers have the best comma in the league. I’m a 3rd generation tigers fan an an desperate to get my kids into it, and it’s proving really difficult with the club not putting anything out other than sales or season tickets, I’ve got 1 that plays and 2 that’s just given up playing. Hopefully he’ll give it another go next season as they’ve loved the England content, seeing some of their trainning and have learnt some of the players, I they just don’t know the tigers players, and I think now with younger fans the players have to be front and centre, fans need to get to know them.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:56 am Regrettably Watson is Manu mark 2. Great when available but not available enough. I suspect that like Manu he doesn't come cheap either. In these days of financial difficulties can we really afford to keep him?
I think signing him was a risk worth taking as he is world class when fit, unfortunately he hasn’t been. I thought he had signed reasonably as he wanted to stay in England contention. However I think his injury list is against him now and I think there are a growing number for players ahead of him now for England now, so he should try and get a payday in either France or Japan.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Class player when fit but unfortunately we can’t get him on the pitch. Reading the BBC interview he comes over as a man with a self pity attitude. Can’t see him being fit anytime soon so as a previous poster said not a good decision to re-sign him especially if we have him next season as well. Don’t like to be negative about our players but in these hard Financial Times seems to have been a big gamble that has not paid off.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:11 am Interesting to listen to the Rolling Maul pod this morning interviewing Andrea who said that we're almost there with player (and coaching) recruitment for next season and after checking what she's allowed to say suggested that we should hear something *soon*...
Listened to her interview, after which I could not help thinking what if anything have I learned from her interview that I did not know beforehand? The answer is "nothing" as I realise that in her position their is not anything that she could say that is not already in the public domain. Case in point is she was asked about the situation concerning our attack coach and she merely stated that the club had given Dickens personal leave and that Matt Smith is his ongoing replacement. Regarding recruitment I got the impression that our new recruitment will be scant as we shall being paying more to retain some players and looking to the academy for new blood
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:58 am Class player when fit but unfortunately we can’t get him on the pitch. Reading the BBC interview he comes over as a man with a self pity attitude. Can’t see him being fit anytime soon so as a previous poster said not a good decision to re-sign him especially if we have him next season as well. Don’t like to be negative about our players but in these hard Financial Times seems to have been a big gamble that has not paid off.
As someone who's suffered years and years of persistent, recurring sport injuries, I empathise with Watson. Its soul destroying when your body keeps failing on you and you can't do the thing you love. There's a lot of time for reflection in the rehab room and it's not always pretty. I can only imagine that's harder as a pro when your injuries are levelled at you as a criticism.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:11 am Interesting to listen to the Rolling Maul pod this morning interviewing Andrea who said that we're almost there with player (and coaching) recruitment for next season and after checking what she's allowed to say suggested that we should hear something *soon*...
Listened to her interview, after which I could not help thinking what if anything have I learned from her interview that I did not know beforehand? The answer is "nothing" as I realise that in her position their is not anything that she could say that is not already in the public domain. Case in point is she was asked about the situation concerning our attack coach and she merely stated that the club had given Dickens personal leave and that Matt Smith is his ongoing replacement. Regarding recruitment I got the impression that our new recruitment will be scant as we shall being paying more to retain some players and looking to the academy for new blood
I agree to an extent, and it was always going to be this way. But I would say we learnt a few bits.
1. Smith was McKellar's choice as interim
2. That playing and coaching staff are all but sorted for this season and next, so we'll either see Dickens return soon or we have a replacement in mind based on that.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:36 am
sapajo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:28 am
I agree to an extent, and it was always going to be this way. But I would say we learnt a few bits.
1. Smith was McKellar's choice as interim
2. That playing and coaching staff are all but sorted for this season and next, so we'll either see Dickens return soon or we have a replacement in mind based on that.
I agree that the inference was certainly on a more streamlined squad. Certainly we look like we will be counting on the availability of our international players being greater and an increased use of the academy graduates. Nothing wrong with either of those. Also interesting was the comment that the anticipation that much of the new salary cap will be absorbed in keeping what we have rather than on new players. Not unexpected but also another sign that the prem teams were the Turkeys who voted for Xmas.

Yes a decent percentage of it was getting various messages across but massive round of applause to the Rolling Maul Pod who are clearly seen in the eyes of the club as a viable and important way of talking to the supporters.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The impression I got from what Andrea said was the Dickens won't be coming back, I may have interpreted it completely wrong but to me it almost sounds like Dickens is on indefinite leave, Smith is the interim and they are looking elsewhere for somebody else to come in over the summer.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

CrumblingTerrace: I fully agree with your statement
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/176 ... FgElw&s=19

Saracens announce their 2nd Loosehead signing in a couple of days plus also announced Mawi a contract extension...

Surely that means West (and Vunipola) is up for grabs?

I would take West if we had the opportunity...
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/176 ... FgElw&s=19

Saracens announce their 2nd Loosehead signing in a couple of days plus also announced Mawi a contract extension...

I'm massively sold on this if I'm honest. West, Whitcombe and Ellof would be a pretty solid trio of LH's with Van Der Flier and Miell in the background coming through.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/176 ... FgElw&s=19

I'm massively sold on this if I'm honest. West, Whitcombe and Ellof would be a pretty solid trio of LH's with Van Der Flier and Miell in the background coming through.
With potential replacements already announced by Saracens, it could also fall under the sort of announcement that could be made 'Soon'
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm

Agreed would be very happy with that stable of loosheads!