Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:25 pm Certainly think that an opportunity has been missed to bridge the gap with some news about either new signings or player retention, though there must be reasons for this.

As for the PRC final I wonder if it had to be planned for a break in the championship season too as their clubs were included
Scary thought i know, but maybe we haven't actually signed anyone? Maybe we haven't heard anything as we have nothing to announce? (This is me speculating, i'm hoping we have signed someone we just need to organise a day to announce it).
I do agree. Other than one poster, I forget who sorry, saying there are definitely 2 centres incoming, and the Aussie prop, there seems to have been nothing. You will know better than me, but there always seems to have been mention of names previously, with the odd surprise Nadolo and Taufua spring to mind.
A low churn is a good thing, but as has been discussed we are likely to be needing recruitment in some areas, loosehead and centre in particular
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... al-health/

After reading this interview, I have some concerns about him remaining as a tiger. We knew when we signed him that he had an injury history, as most players have, but I am not convinced, reading this, that his heart is in the club game. He is undoubtedly, a world-class player when fit and firing on all cylinders and an asset to the club - I think we would miss him after his performances last year but is he going to be another Manu??????
Hehehehehehehehe
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... al-health/

After reading this interview, I have some concerns about him remaining as a tiger. We knew when we signed him that he had an injury history, as most players have, but I am not convinced, reading this, that his heart is in the club game. He is undoubtedly, a world-class player when fit and firing on all cylinders and an asset to the club - I think we would miss him after his performances last year but is he going to be another Manu??????
I sort of read some of that into the interview as I mentioned in my post about whether players are club or international players these days.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hmm reading that I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t play again for us this season. Regarding signings in general we were told that we would be spending up to the cap so with Wiese leaving and probably 3 or 4 more we must be signing at least 3 more players.
Another poster has said categorically that we have signed 2 centres and we need another loosehead and a no 8 as can see Cronin, Van Wyk, Porter, Cokasigina , and Rogerson leaving.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Cabous Eloff follows Tigers on instagram. Doesn't mean anything obviously.
If he does/has sign/ed then puts a lot of creditability on Izaia Perese
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... al-health/

Exactly my thoughts. Brutally its been bad business for us to re-sign him.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tempting to say put that Watson wage towards keeping Porter and have him in that wing spot and bring in a centre.

Having an extra few ££'s might help homesickness.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:07 pm Tempting to say put that Watson wage towards keeping Porter and have him in that wing spot and bring in a centre.

It may but I think once that Homesickness kicks in it’s pretty much game over
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:07 pm Tempting to say put that Watson wage towards keeping Porter and have him in that wing spot and bring in a centre.

Would be inclined to agree assuming there was no other factors of course.

I love Watson and think when fit he’s one of those players that makes a good team, great. I just fear injuries are affecting both him and the value we get. Ruthless I know but still.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm

So far. The season isn't over yet. If he returns with a bang after the international break and helps to the end of the season many on here will soon change their mind.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:46 pm

So far. The season isn't over yet. If he returns with a bang after the international break and helps to the end of the season many on here will soon change their mind.
That may be the case but reading the interview, that return after the international break does not sound likely.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:36 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:25 pm Certainly think that an opportunity has been missed to bridge the gap with some news about either new signings or player retention, though there must be reasons for this.

As for the PRC final I wonder if it had to be planned for a break in the championship season too as their clubs were included
Scary thought i know, but maybe we haven't actually signed anyone? Maybe we haven't heard anything as we have nothing to announce? (This is me speculating, i'm hoping we have signed someone we just need to organise a day to announce it).
It is a fair point and not an unreasonable thought. As I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how we plan signings at the moment. With no official news on the TV deal or the contracts/hybrid contracts for player release in place, how on earth can we work on our finances. I am hoping that the TV deal is all but signed and it is just the announcement that is needed but who knows. If all of the financial pieces of the jigsaw are not in place, how can you plan spending. Really to not envy Andrea and the board.

If that really has no impact, I would have hoped that we had outlined the positions for recruitment and got some names signed up. I know we like this whole 'popcorn day' thing (I do not) but surely a protracted build up of excitement with announcements beats this blowing it all in one shot.
Added to those financial uncertainies I wonder if the huge hike in Season Tickets and Match Day Ticket prices could lead to a substancial reduction in income? Maintaining the same year on year prices is never good, a small increase year on year does no real halm and wards off huge increases like this year.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:46 pm

Yep, I'll certainly change my mind if the circumstances change.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re Watson as we all know back injuries can be notoriously fickle. If he is having to stand during an interview to do rehab I would suggest is return is a way off
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

What's the situation with Bassett? I can't recall seeing his name in any match squad for a while.