LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:51 pm Thing is Scott isn't really slowing down, so I don't really care if he's 30, 34 or 24.

We've had great success with worrying about if players are good enough & ignoring their age recently. We should never sign or release someone purely on their age.
Think we would all be happy for Matt to stay. Any speculation comes from rumours of 2 incoming centres, his contract status and smaller squad size.
I would agree about Porter on the wing
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:43 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:51 pm Thing is Scott isn't really slowing down, so I don't really care if he's 30, 34 or 24.

We've had great success with worrying about if players are good enough & ignoring their age recently. We should never sign or release someone purely on their age.
Think we would all be happy for Matt to stay. Any speculation comes from rumours of 2 incoming centres, his contract status and smaller squad size.
I would agree about Porter on the wing
Agree with both these posts wholeheartedly
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Smaller squad size? The salary cap is increasing.

As fans we might be happy for Matt to stay but he isn't first choice and at his age we might only be offering one year increases in contract. Neither of which might be enticing for Matt.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The signing of 2 centers probably suggests some out the door

Most likely leaving:
Cokanasiga - almost certainly out of contract, has one performance vs Ealing suggested enough to retain him?

Then for me it's who the other center that may leave is.
It's either Scott, likely out of contract who may be looking post rugby, but maybe has one more decent size contract left or Porter who almost certainly has one more season left on his contract, but has had speculation (2 articles by one reporter) that since his concussion he may want a return to Australia (even though it would end his international career).

For me I still think Scott is the more likely to leave.

Only thing above is are both the "x2" centers new signings, I'd still count sorting an extension for Scott as sorting one of two slots that are open?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:51 pm Kelly and Scott are our best centres in my opinion so would sooner Porter and Cokasigina leave.
[/quote

Completely agree with this.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:13 pm

Smaller squad size? The salary cap is increasing.

As fans we might be happy for Matt to stay but he isn't first choice and at his age we might only be offering one year increases in contract. Neither of which might be enticing for Matt.
Apologies if I’m incorrect I thought it had been said that squad sizes were reducing hence the benefit of multi position players
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I think Porter will be off in the Summer. Apparently wants to go back to Australia as homesick. Potter leaving didn't help.

The smaller squad sizes thing is a proposal reported on before Christmas. Pat Lam then referred to it in a press conference a week or two later. It may not be official, but it is something that is being spoken about and is a consideration that all clubs are thinking about in their recruitment.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I do wonder how on earth the club plan for next season.

I know that there will be plenty going on the background but there has been nothing about the TV deal for 24/25.

TNT are rumoured to have secured the Autumn internationals. Now, does that mean that they are going all in on rugby or are they switching their focus to the international game like Sky did.

Amazon may have lost their international rugby rights and their football rights. Does that mean that they are getting out of some of their sports commitments.

Are we facing a situation whereby TNT are the only deal on the table and we there is little choice but to take it irrespective of the amount offered.

In all seriousness, could we be faced with a situation where there is, in fact, no deal on the table or at least none that can finance the clubs enough.

It is all a bit concerning on that front.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Gengey very good value on Len and Dan's pod.

Includes the real story behind the infamous Treviso preseason trip!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:43 pm Gengey very good value on Len and Dan's pod.

Includes the real story behind the infamous Treviso preseason trip!
Agreed obviously well respected in the game. His heart definitely belongs to Bristol, but seemed to indicate he would fancy a couple of seasons in the south of France after the next World Cup

Also liked the story of when he was standing deep to run the ball v the French, that was all his idea encouraged by Lenny. The coaches knew nothing about it
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:54 pm https://youtu.be/jkP8uAzvPo4?si=_Ei2e1L93s58IgYQ

This is hard to replace
Very. Will be sad to see him go.
Go just for a season, find you like the money but not much else and come back, eh lad?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh with Wiese he will be impossible like for like, so I wouldn't be too upset if the club don't get a 8 replacement.
Might as well wait for the right one, instead of getting locked into a contract with someone you don't want.

Just need to make sure the whole team has more attacking options.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status ... 97lpg&s=19

Brantingham signs for Sarries, does that make a return for West more likely?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 am https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status ... 97lpg&s=19

Brantingham signs for Sarries, does that make a return for West more likely?
That would be nice. I'm still hopeful we signed Goodrick-Clarke up, he was excellent against us in the PRC semi final, their scrum really faded when he went off and he was tidy in the loose (barged over for a try iirc).