LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by ay2oh »

Kelly and Scott are our best centres in my opinion so would sooner Porter and Cokasigina leave.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:51 pm Kelly and Scott are our best centres in my opinion so would sooner Porter and Cokasigina leave.
Agreed. Scott’s age and his desire to move back to Scotland may be factors
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:53 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:51 pm Kelly and Scott are our best centres in my opinion so would sooner Porter and Cokasigina leave.
Has he said he wants to move back north of the border?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:01 pm
Not directly but is involved in at least one restaurant business in Scotland. I also believe he and his wife both have extended family up there
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not saying I want Scott to leave, but it's been mentioned that his contract probably expires this season. I'm a big fan, which is why I think it will be important to replace his specific skill set when he does leave.

He'll be 34 at the start of next season, so I'd imagine he's probably starting to plan for life after rugby.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 pm

Not directly but is involved in at least one restaurant business in Scotland. I also believe he and his wife both have extended family up there
I wasn't picking at you, by the way, just didn't recall seeing it in print or as a sound bite anywhere
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:23 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:16 pm

I wasn't picking at you, by the way, just didn't recall seeing it in print or as a sound bite anywhere
Didn’t take it that way I can assure you. Sometimes you have to piece together what snip-you can and I follow him on Instagram
Tiglon makes some good points above
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I believe Watson was signed until the end of the 24/25 season so he will be with us next year, unless someone buys him out and gives us a transfer fee in the process.

We debated on the podcast this week about where we needed to sign for next season. We both had one centre and one winger, if Kata was deemed to be a centre by McKellar. However if McKellar sees him as a winger, we had us needing two centres. If indeed we have signed two centres, maybe McKellar does see Kata long-term on the wing. He'd be a decent, punchy option out there for us.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree re Kata better options as a wing for me
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kata is definitely a better centre,conclusively proven for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Good to have someone like Kata who can cover Wing and centre.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Problem with our wingers is, OHC, Bassett and Simmons all prefer to play on the left wing. With Watson I think it would be bad business to keep him on for next season. Meaning we really could do with a right winger - unless we shift Kata out to 14 where he does play for Tonga.

Really rate Scott but like others have said, he’ll be turning 34 next season and could see him moving on. Meaning rumours of signing two centres is probably spot on.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Thing is Scott isn't really slowing down, so I don't really care if he's 30, 34 or 24.

We've had great success with worrying about if players are good enough & ignoring their age recently. We should never sign or release someone purely on their age.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:48 pm I believe Watson was signed until the end of the 24/25 season so he will be with us next year, unless someone buys him out and gives us a transfer fee in the process.

We debated on the podcast this week about where we needed to sign for next season. We both had one centre and one winger, if Kata was deemed to be a centre by McKellar. However if McKellar sees him as a winger, we had us needing two centres. If indeed we have signed two centres, maybe McKellar does see Kata long-term on the wing. He'd be a decent, punchy option out there for us.
Unless McKellar is coming to the conclusion Porter would make a better wing than centre for us.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

sk 88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:51 pm Thing is Scott isn't really slowing down, so I don't really care if he's 30, 34 or 24.

We've had great success with worrying about if players are good enough & ignoring their age recently. We should never sign or release someone purely on their age.
None of our other backs read the game as well as he does and his support lines are absolutely spot on. He also very rarely makes a mistake.