Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by ay2oh »

sapajo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:48 pm
trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:43 pm Izaia Perese and Cabous Eloff are rumored to be on our hit list - if you believe rugby pass - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... er-9119623
A case of 2 Australians (Potter and Porter) out and now 2 in?
Porter hasn’t been confirmed as leaving AFAIK.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:16 pm
trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:43 pm Izaia Perese and Cabous Eloff are rumored to be on our hit list - if you believe rugby pass - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... er-9119623
I suspect Matt Scott is the more likely to be off given he's 33 and might want one final contract abroad to top up his pension and who could play him.

Eloff is South African as well though I hope EQ.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Very much speculation with Porter after he returned back to Australia during a mandatory concussion break.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:41 pm

I suspect Matt Scott is the more likely to be off given he's 33 and might want one final contract abroad to top up his pension and who could play him.

Eloff is South African as well though I hope EQ.
Well plus based on when people signed and what contracts we tend to offer players, Scott (along with Cokanasiga) are likely out of contract this season and Porter is almost certainly contracted for next season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Does this also explain why Tigers are still struggling in attack under and post Borthwick and the much vaunted "Tigers DNA"?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/j ... 791a&ei=16
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 am Does this also explain why Tigers are still struggling in attack under and post Borthwick and the much vaunted "Tigers DNA"?

Makes you wonder what they did do with Eddie because we've heard before now there was no to barely any scrum work done. There's only so much lineout, defence and basics you can run.

I think we are implementing a nice style of attack, sort of similar to Ireland. Problem is you have to be flexible in the attack and have all of your backs comfortable of calling a myriad of different options. It looks like we a) haven't developed many options yet and b) like it's mainly Ford calling the shots. It might take some time for it to bed in. Farrell taking on a much more polished Ireland squad at the start of 2020 finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd in 6N campaigns initially.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Mike Catt rejoin England this summer after his Ireland contract finishes either.

Set piece is looking pretty good so far, defence was largely good with a couple of glaring lapses as the new system settles in.

It might take a bit more suffering before we see the light at the end of the tunnel.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:29 am
sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 am Does this also explain why Tigers are still struggling in attack under and post Borthwick and the much vaunted "Tigers DNA"?

Makes you wonder what they did do with Eddie because we've heard before now there was no to barely any scrum work done. There's only so much lineout, defence and basics you can run.

I think we are implementing a nice style of attack, sort of similar to Ireland. Problem is you have to be flexible in the attack and have all of your backs comfortable of calling a myriad of different options. It looks like we a) haven't developed many options yet and b) like it's mainly Ford calling the shots. It might take some time for it to bed in. Farrell taking on a much more polished Ireland squad at the start of 2020 finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd in 6N campaigns initially.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Mike Catt rejoin England this summer after his Ireland contract finishes either.

Set piece is looking pretty good so far, defence was largely good with a couple of glaring lapses as the new system settles in.

It might take a bit more suffering before we see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I look at the current England team and see a lot of the problems that Tigers had at the start of the season after we won the title.

My concern would be that we have Wigglesworth running the attack. Nothing against him and he probably has the support of the Tigers and Saracens players but he also has only one season of coaching experience at club level and no experience of international coaching.

Agree with your comments that I can see Mike Catt moving in to that role
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally if Tigers are thinking of recruiting a new backs/attack coach I would not be disappointed if Catt joined us.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:25 am Personally if Tigers are thinking of recruiting a new backs/attack coach I would not be disappointed if Catt joined us.
I thought that too. And then I wondered about how much club experience he has? England did not play that well when he was backs coach there and how much influence does he have over the backs’ play at Ireland? From what I’ve seen they play pretty much like Leinster do. But on balance and where we are now I suspect he could have something to add, even if it just a few Leinster moves!

I’d actually prefer Sam Vesty, but that’s not going to happen.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm

Very much speculation with Porter after he returned back to Australia during a mandatory concussion break.
Unless he is still under concussion protocols, you would have thought that if he was leaving then there would have been efforts to get him signed for the current Super Rugby season rather than next year. Given the financial situations and the squad we have, I cannot see up balking at the idea of taking him off the wage bill now if he was going to leave at the end of the season anyway.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:22 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm
Unless he is still under concussion protocols, you would have thought that if he was leaving then there would have been efforts to get him signed for the current Super Rugby season rather than next year. Given the financial situations and the squad we have, I cannot see up balking at the idea of taking him off the wage bill now if he was going to leave at the end of the season anyway.
Well if we assume he was concussed on or shortly after the last game he played for us, and if due to the extended period he's been gone, we assume it is the mandatory 3 month stand down for multiple concussions within 12 months, then he would have only been eligible at earliest to play the day after the Ealing game.

That fits into the sightings of him in more recent training pics. Him being in the UK training however does not fit with him joining the Super Rugby this season at all.

Yes I think it possible he leaves at the end of the season, but I'm 70/30 probably that he'll be here at the start of next season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:30 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:25 am Personally if Tigers are thinking of recruiting a new backs/attack coach I would not be disappointed if Catt joined us.
I thought that too. And then I wondered about how much club experience he has? England did not play that well when he was backs coach there and how much influence does he have over the backs’ play at Ireland? From what I’ve seen they play pretty much like Leinster do. But on balance and where we are now I suspect he could have something to add, even if it just a few Leinster moves!

I’d actually prefer Sam Vesty, but that’s not going to happen.
He was attack coach at LI as a player coach and then coach iirc. Went to England where there was lots of rumours of fallings out between the coaches (though seeing as he then went to work for Farrell later maybe not). England didn't play a bad brand of rugby there were other factors that cost them at the time more than the attack.

He went to Italy with COS and helped move Italy on a bit, COS and his coaches worked a lot with the pathway system over there. Then went on to Ireland where the Irish fans tended to moan about Schmidt being to rigid in attack at the end of his tenure.

He's got mainly international experience. I suspect if he were to come down to club level he'd want a HC job as opposed to another attack job though I'd say odds were evens of him being with England in the summer. He'll know Steve from their Bath days.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

I know its not a lot of experience internationally but I seem to recollect that Wigglesworth coached with Canada one summer? Or perhaps I have my wires crossed.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

PJM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:19 pm I know its not a lot of experience internationally but I seem to recollect that Wigglesworth coached with Canada one summer? Or perhaps I have my wires crossed.
yes at 2015 RWC I think.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:24 pm
PJM wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:19 pm I know its not a lot of experience internationally but I seem to recollect that Wigglesworth coached with Canada one summer? Or perhaps I have my wires crossed.
yes at 2015 RWC I think.

https://www.englandrugby.com/england/se ... gglesworth

In 2019, Wigglesworth also began undertaking coaching work and was Canada’s defence and kicking coach at that year’s Rugby World Cup.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.