LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by johnthegriff »

Can't blame anyone for wanting to go home. I was just defending the city of my birth and the surrounding area. I went to Primary School ( Avenue Rd) in the Clarendon Park area, it is a little more lively now than it was then.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Don't think theres really any denying that there are several clubs in other much more desireable places of England to live. Bath, Exeter, Quins and Sarries would all be big draws becasue of locations, Bristol is a great city with southern weather, Manchester obvs has its great PR depsite the rain and mancunians and Newcastle is a cracking place as well, Gloucester has lovely countryside. I reckon only Northampton comes below Leicester in Premier Rugby nice places to live!

Don't get me wrong, I love Leicester, proud to come from there and have lots of family there and visit regularly, but I can't say I've ever regretted moving away.

The Club on the other hand has massive history and great standing in the world of Rugby Union, so will always be a big draw to certain players, we NEED to keep that going. Unfortunately, I fear the last 10 years or so has eaten into it a bit and we are not as big as we once were. Hopefully the prem win recently has given us a bit back .....
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I think the difference is that you go and visit the nice bits of other cities and live in the everyday bits of your own.

Leicester is a considerably better place to live than most of these other places. I will concede it isn't quite as good as a tourist as Bath.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I grew up in Beaumont Lees, so I know theres much nicer bits of Leicestershire to live in. As long as we keep pulling the Norfolk farmers to the big smoke we'll be reet!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've lived in Leicester, Bath, Exeter, London and Manchester. Leicester is definitely bottom of that list, although I'll concede that Northampton would probably be even lower!

All personal opinions, different people want different things. I'm not sure what, though, you can get in Leicester that isn't better in those other locations, apart from it being cheaper...

Luckily, we do have the best rugby club.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:05 pm Luckily, we do have the best rugby club.
👍
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that Leicester city centre is pants but there are some really nice villages in the Burbs.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:14 pm Agree that Leicester city centre is pants but there are some really nice villages in the Burbs.
Spot on and I believe quite a few of the lads live out towards kibworth and Mkt. Harborough.
All cities have their rough bits, but there is some nice regeneration going on in certain areas.
Not forgetting Nelson Mandela Park
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:03 am Can't blame anyone for wanting to go home. I was just defending the city of my birth and the surrounding area. I went to Primary School ( Avenue Rd) in the Clarendon Park area, it is a little more lively now than it was then.
Areas change don’t they, I lived in a house overlooking Spinny Hill Park until I was 2
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A while ago now (1980s) but I lived in a bedsit in Stoneygate, then on the Uppingham Road and ended up in South Wigston, so I saw all sides of the city ! Now live near Gloucester. If you take Leicester as an example, don't most of the players live out in the sticks in rural Leicestershire, so location isn't really a problem ? Same with other clubs, all the Gloucester players live in Cheltenham or in the Cotswolds villages, so don't get to experience the less desirable areas, shall we say.

Until Spink signs for another club, we've got to be in the mix you'd think.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok not so great for the younger players but for players with families and kids the countryside round Leicester can be an attraction over other locations
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:50 pm Ok not so great for the younger players but for players with families and kids the countryside round Leicester can be an attraction over other locations
The younger lads would rather be in an area where there's stuff going on though.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Motorway and Rail links are all good though, so Birmingham, Nottingham, London, even Manchester within easy reach
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Izaia Perese and Cabous Eloff are rumored to be on our hit list - if you believe rugby pass - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... er-9119623
Hehehehehehehehe
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:43 pm Izaia Perese and Cabous Eloff are rumored to be on our hit list - if you believe rugby pass - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... er-9119623
A case of 2 Australians (Potter and Porter) out and now 2 in?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity