FINAL SCORE 91-5
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: England A v Portugal - MWWR - 25th February 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

Atkinson and Shilcock both missed their kicking boots could have been over 100.

Not sure much was learnt tbh. Tigers wise Heyes dominant at scrum time and good ball,in hand. Shilcock decent ball in hand and nice individual try
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:15 pm I think there is a genuine risk this could be embarrassing, and people are going to feel short-changed.

Those in the know warned about the likely lack of strength that Portugal would be able bring in the middle of a tournament, in a slot where clubs are not obligated to release players.

Yet still, it was advertised by the RFU like they would be playing a team similar to the one that competed in the World Cup.
I bought the tickets some time ago. Had I known it was their A side I may not have bothered. Although it’s nice to back watching some live rugby.
Yeah, I would have gone regardless, as it was at WR. Still was some deceptive marketing. RFU will be happy with 15k buying tickets, so they won't care.

I would guess those Portugal players would have never played in front of a crowd like that, so nice for them in that regard. Biggest cheer of the day when they scored, and they tried to play like the Portugal that people fell in love with, but a complete mismatch in terms of size and fitness.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Commentary mentions by far the biggest crowd a lot of the Portugal players will have played in front of.
2nd biggest cheer was when the ref got caught up in a tackle
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Difficult game to judge anything from.

Heyes very good, nuisance counter rucking and grew into the game ball in hand. Surely he now deserves his chance in the six nations off the bench, looked much more assured than Stuart.

Tuima very good too. Powerful lock who could add something for England off the bench perhaps. Pearson looked very good too.

Only negative for me was Barbeary. Portugal seemed to double on him every time he got the ball and didn’t really make any yards. Off this showing he wouldn’t be near the senior squad.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:59 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:48 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:15 pm I think there is a genuine risk this could be embarrassing, and people are going to feel short-changed.

Those in the know warned about the likely lack of strength that Portugal would be able bring in the middle of a tournament, in a slot where clubs are not obligated to release players.

Yet still, it was advertised by the RFU like they would be playing a team similar to the one that competed in the World Cup.
I bought the tickets some time ago. Had I known it was their A side I may not have bothered. Although it’s nice to back watching some live rugby.
Yeah, I would have gone regardless, as it was at WR. Still was some deceptive marketing. RFU will be happy with 15k buying tickets, so they won't care.

I would guess those Portugal players would have never played in front of a crowd like that, so nice for them in that regard. Biggest cheer of the day when they scored, and they tried to play like the Portugal that people fell in love with, but a complete mismatch in terms of size and fitness.
It was a very one sided game, however those Portugese lads tried their hearts out, they never gave up against a side who were so much better physically etc etc (pity our first team cant play with this style of rugby). At the end they walked around the pitch, the crowd gave them a great send off, which you could see they appreciated. It was also good to see Joe and Ewels swap shirts with their opposite numbers, not often seen these days and I'm sure those visiting lads will treasure their trophies.
It was an enjoyable experience for most fans, kids, mums, dads and some visiting supporters trying to cheer on their team, etc and I hope it can be repeated some time in the future with possibly Georgia or others? We need to support and promote the game, i'm sure there were new rugby supporters here today, well done 15,000 of us who made the effort.

PS my MOM was Hodge, he was superb, and looks like he is fresh out of school.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Didn't really learn much as the contest was so one side.

Shame the A team 6N went.

Wonder if some of the other nations will bring back their A teams now that age groups can't be used to tie a player to the side.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:09 pm Didn't really learn much as the contest was so one side.

Shame the A team 6N went.

Wonder if some of the other nations will bring back their A teams now that age groups can't be used to tie a player to the side.
I think it was partly a financial decision that a couple of Nations dropped the A team. I’m sure the Irish and French could comfortably field one though

PS best player on the pitch by a country mile was Tom Pearson
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Personally thought Hodge was the stand out player.
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It would be hard to say who were the outstanding players simply because of the gulf in standard - it's easy to be a big fish in a small pond.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:10 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am I really like what I’ve seen of Pepper. If Reffell were ever to move, hopefully not, he’s one I’d hope we would be chasing
I think Pepper's already rumoured to be going elsewhere for now - Bath I think.
Hadn’t heard that might mean Underhill moving on
Underhill is a great player but a bit like Manu/Moody etc when they moved on, an expensive luxury?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:45 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:10 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 pm

I think Pepper's already rumoured to be going elsewhere for now - Bath I think.
Hadn’t heard that might mean Underhill moving on
Underhill is a great player but a bit like Manu/Moody etc when they moved on, an expensive luxury?
Anyone with an iffy injury record has a certain element of risk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:39 am Personally thought Hodge was the stand out player.
Oh well we agree to differ I’m going with Christian Day choice and the bloke who was literally at the centre of everything. Few flashes breaks from Hodge and he goal kicked well. He was hardly tested defensively