2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Scott1 »

Absolutely crazy to believe the difference between the 2 teams was just a couple of passes!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Italy or not it seems that the Tuilagi obituaries were incredibly premature!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Red that! Could be an interesting second half
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes: come on Italy.
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

You have to feel for garbisi
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh no! Gutting!
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Anyone know the laws re charging at a penalty kicker?

Yes, I know the ball fell off the tee, but there also seemed to be lots of moving Frenchmen as the kicker readdressed the ball.
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The kick should have been retaken - Law 20.15 applies.

“The opposing team may not do anything to delay the kick or obstruct the kicker, including intentionally taking, throwing or kicking the ball out of reach of the team awarded the penalty.
Sanction: Second penalty or free-kick, 10 metres in front of the original mark. The second penalty or free-kick must not be taken before the referee has made the mark.”
The illustration shows players not being allowed to put hands above their head etc.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks for that as I thought the same and until then Christophe had been pretty good. Still: well done Italy.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:05 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:22 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:28 am

If Borthwick gets sacked after this 6N, then English rugby has no one to blame but itself. It's like we want our teams to fail. Never happier than when shouting "sack the boss", as if that is the perpetual solution to something.

He (or, more accurately, his team) won 9 out of the last 10 before yesterday.

Who gives up on a rebuild because it isn't instantly perfect?
Rebuilding is one thing, but on the evidence of the three games so far, there’s precious little to show, and the game plan seems to be non existent - except hoof and hope. I, for one, am fed up with it.
Fair enough. But what are your expectations? Be like Ireland after 12 months?

The kicking thing is a lazy criticism that gets trotted out every time a team loses. We kicked LESS than Scotland, and less than Wales.

We've kicked more penalty goals than anyone else, which suggests we're doing that too much - but that seems to be what most fans want anyway... "take the points".

We have by far the lowest conversion success rate so far - only 2 points for a conversion, but it's fine margins at this level.

We have the second most attacking entries to the 22, just 1 behind Ireland. Isn't that a sign that we're doing something right? Getting into good positions. That's not from hoof and hope.

We've made the second most linebreaks so far, behind Ireland. But we have no attacking shape or ideas? Are you sure?

Our tackle success rate is the second lowest so far - maybe this is the actual problem? Brand new defensive coach and structure, some errors have been made - same as Leinster this season.

Our arrivals at attacking rucks is pretty low, and our ruck speed is too - we have the highest % of rucks over 6 seconds. If the ball is in the ruck for more than 6 seconds, there's really no point trying to attack. Maybe that's more of a problem than how often we kick.

Our scrum win % is down in the 60's.

Elliott Daly has the joint second highest number of linebreaks, and joint third highest number of assists, in the tournament so far - but all I read on here is that he's rubbish and shouldn't be anywhere near the England team.

Underhill has the second most breakdown steals, but he's useless too.

Only 2 England players in the top 27 for ruck clearouts. Further proof that quickly and successfully securing ruck ball is perhaps our biggest issue.

There are plenty of things to work on, but quantity of kicks isn't one of them.

But, yeah, stats are stupid and we kick too much. OK.
Like Ireland after 12 months? Hardly. England’s tactical kicking has not been up to scratch, has it? I do remember one peach of a kick from Ford against Wales, but others have been few and far between. Another thing lacking is on the field leadership and don’t think that Jamie George is the man for the job. Maybe Borthwick could try Itoje?
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:28 pm Agree backrow is unbalanced. But I actually think Roots could be the sort of no.6 England need. In that SA mould what Ewers used to be for Exeter, a more physical carrier where we can look to dominate opposition packs.

Best no.7 is being played out of position. Get him at openside and then literally play any of our no.8s in the correct position.

Also would like to see Martin / Chessum start together with Itoje off the bench.
I keep on about Martin being at 8 for Tigers, SB should try him there, cant understand why no one else sees it, Im sure that would solve his back row selections, ie Earl to 7 etc and certainly counter the Irish back row.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Years ago if the ball fell off the tee, the kicker could ask the ref if he could replace it, should the clock be stopped if this happens, force majeure?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:26 pm There’s no patience sadly, so every loss gets tougher for Borthwick, regardless of the mitigating factors - injuries, new caps, continuity etc. Comparing to Ireland is just madness, they’ve got a settled sided who all know their roles for club and country. Lawrence was on form before the 6 Nations, but this is his first game back so was going to be rusty. Dropping him is crazy, give him a run of games. That side kpj picked and bench looks good, but the backline would need time to click, it wouldn’t happen overnight and the coaches would get slated, which is why I wouldn’t take the job in a million years.
Farrell and his management team are now in their 4th year with Ireland. Theirs's has been a medium to long term project just like it is for any new coaching outfit. As an outsider looking in I don't think SB is a poor coach but I do think that he is a poor selector.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

For the statos,1 TBP in 8 6N games for Borths
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:01 pm Years ago if the ball fell off the tee, the kicker could ask the ref if he could replace it, should the clock be stopped if this happens, force majeure?
The ball fell off the tee because of how it was placed roof was closed no breeze. I agree the French shouldn’t have moved another thing that has crept in, but there were about 10 seconds to go so he would have rushed anyway