2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TiltonTiger

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by TiltonTiger »

Have to wonder what is going through Freddie’s mind this evening. No doubt he is a team player but there must be the tiniest hint of schadenfreude in there.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Time to move on from Ford, Daly, Care and Slade.

With no disrespect to Scotland, England chucked the game and failed to control it.

You can’t play a blitz defence when players in key positions don’t tackle.

Stuck with Cole and Marler for now, but they were not the weakness.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

England lost that - Scotland simply capitalised on mistakes by England.

England forwards excellent but some of England backs were dreadful and cost us the game due to poor selections compounded by poor handling in the pitch. Lawrence couldn’t catch a cold, Furbank has done Steward a favour by showing (once again) he can’t step up from club rugby, Daly has had his day and should be nowhere near an England shirt. The 9s were okay but simply blocking the route to the talented youngsters we have in the Prem. Felt sorry for Slade with what he had around him. All the replacements in the backs were an upgrade.

On a positive, good performances by the Tigers contingent. Great to see Martin back.
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:56 pm Have to wonder what is going through Freddie’s mind this evening. No doubt he is a team player but there must be the tiniest hint of schadenfreude in there.
Scotland kicked very few kicks to compete so you can see why Borthwick made the call he did. Freddie was vocally cheering the Furbank score, he's a team man and must surely be back in for the Ireland game. Ireland will kick to compete where Freddie will be key and Furbank was frankly pretty poor.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I actually thought Furbank played okay. The issue for England was Lawrence in midfield having an absolute stinker and average wingers. I'm a big George Ford fan, but he wasn't great today either, in tandem with an aging Care. The 9/10 combo was very stodgy - no zip.

The sooner a coach comes in and finally dispenses with Daly, the better
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Pluses:Underhill,Earl,rush defence was very good at times. Feyi-waboso looks a natural international. Martin was very good bar one dropped catch.Struggling then….anyone?
Minuses:everything else
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:42 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:40 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Slightly knee jerk reaction 😂
there were signs with us last season Steve wasn't adapting as a coach
I agree but to say we won’t qualify for the next WC 🤷‍♂️ just trying to get some perspective
Think you need to re-read what @leicestertinytiger wrote. He didn't say WE won't make the WC, he said HE, as in Steve Borthwick as head coach.
Last edited by ads on Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Defensively England did well apart from one misread by Slade at the scrum. The set piece was fine but nothing more. Attacking play struggled after two phases.

Ford was very poor, as were most of the back line apart from Freeman and F-W when he came on. Steward offers so much more than Furbank. If you are going to pick the latter then you need two centres who have power and pace- better Lawrence and Freeman, especially with Daly in the back three as well. Balance is wrong- who is going to get England over the gainline from the team that started today?

Telling that Smith came in when England were chasing the game. Says a lot of Ford’s performance and I am usually a huge fan.

The England starting pack did well although we struggle for carrying forwards. Earl was excellent, as was Chessum. We were very disciplined unlike previously. Martin had one horror moment but there was impact from the bench, the terrible Stuart aside.

Tactically I thought we let the game drift in the second half. Not sure how we were expecting to score any points. I expected Spencer to add impetus but he seemed to do the opposite.. Truth is that first half we should have been ahead but Scotland took their chances very well.

England have to sort out their attack if they are going to trouble the best teams.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Also- anyone who wants Borthwick gone after that needs to look at themselves and realise that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

He will come good but it will take time. Show some faith.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Slightly knee jerk reaction 😂
I agree but to say we won’t qualify for the next WC 🤷‍♂️ just trying to get some perspective
we're already qualified the poster was saying Steve won't make it, ie he'll get sacked before then
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:56 pm Have to wonder what is going through Freddie’s mind this evening. No doubt he is a team player but there must be the tiniest hint of schadenfreude in there.
probably got a slight smirk on over his beer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:26 pm Defensively England did well apart from one misread by Slade at the scrum. The set piece was fine but nothing more. Attacking play struggled after two phases.

Ford was very poor, as were most of the back line apart from Freeman and F-W when he came on. Steward offers so much more than Furbank. If you are going to pick the latter then you need two centres who have power and pace- better Lawrence and Freeman, especially with Daly in the back three as well. Balance is wrong- who is going to get England over the gainline from the team that started today?

Telling that Smith came in when England were chasing the game. Says a lot of Ford’s performance and I am usually a huge fan.

The England starting pack did well although we struggle for carrying forwards. Earl was excellent, as was Chessum. We were very disciplined unlike previously. Martin had one horror moment but there was impact from the bench, the terrible Stuart aside.

Tactically I thought we let the game drift in the second half. Not sure how we were expecting to score any points. I expected Spencer to add impetus but he seemed to do the opposite.. Truth is that first half we should have been ahead but Scotland took their chances very well.

England have to sort out their attack if they are going to trouble the best teams.
Yes,seemed like Spencer was trying to defend a 9 point deficit!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the stick a certain scrum half would have gotten for playing like either of the England 9s on show tonight ...

I can't wait to here how our woeful backs play was the fault of Freddie Steward/JVP/Ben Youngs/George Ford (pre Sale move) now, the anti Tigers bias will be struggling
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

ads wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:25 pm
Think you need to re-read what @leicestertinytiger wrote. He didn't say WE won't make the WC, he said HE, as in Steve Borthwick as head coach.
I’ve gone back and re-read and I apologise - he did say HE and not WE. Just the short termism of some posters gets my goat. Give SB time - I personally don’t think he’s the answer but he might be 🤷‍♂️
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:35 pm the stick a certain scrum half would have gotten for playing like either of the England 9s on show tonight ...

I can't wait to here how our woeful backs play was the fault of Freddie Steward/JVP/Ben Youngs/George Ford (pre Sale move) now, the anti Tigers bias will be struggling
What a completely pointless post :smt005 but I believe Cole scrummaged very well and his chase and tackle was the stuff of legends and Martin was superb bar one dropped catch. Chessum wasn’t his usual very good self. Ford was poor.