LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by kpj tiger »

Neil Fissler linking us with centers Sam Spink, Izaia Perese and more tenuously loosehead Cabous Eloff. All three currently playing in Aussie Super Rugby sides. It also mentions De Bruin is attracting attention from prem clubs but doesn't name anybody specifically

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fissler- ... lfuseKXvEU
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

Didn’t know much about Perese so thought I’d YouTube some highlights… looks a more rounded version of Porter to me. Could Be a cracking signing.

https://youtu.be/acwAPDlM0iU?si=nWofwfV7TGnp-XuV
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:48 am Neil Fissler linking us with centers Sam Spink, Izaia Perese and more tenuously loosehead Cabous Eloff. All three currently playing in Aussie Super Rugby sides. It also mentions De Bruin is attracting attention from prem clubs but doesn't name anybody specifically

Have a friend in Melbourne who suggested to me that Eloff may be looking at a possible UK move, but he didn't have any destination clubs (or even know if it was England or another home nation)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Personally not sure Perese would be an upgrade, his highlights are good but not outstanding and we already have Kata who can arguably fill that role but better in a non-EQP slot. As for Eloff he's certainly a big guy, his Rebels profile puts him at 6'3" and 19.5 stone. That said I don't remember the Rebels scrum ever being particularly dominant so not sure he'd be exactly what we need.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:48 am Neil Fissler linking us with centers Sam Spink, Izaia Perese and more tenuously loosehead Cabous Eloff. All three currently playing in Aussie Super Rugby sides. It also mentions De Bruin is attracting attention from prem clubs but doesn't name anybody specifically

Certainly rather Spink out of the three and he's supposedly the one there's the most competition for his signing...

Still shows we are looking for a centre so at least one of Porter/Scott/Cokanasiga must be off at the end of the season I'd image.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 am I'm not convinced by the theory of signing a big carrying lock to replace Wiese's contribution. Unless you're going to drop/move Martin or Chessum, the big carrying lock will be on the bench, so how is he going to replace Wiese's contribution? You've then also got Henderson and Wells who would be pushed down the pecking order. Seems to me that we're well set for the 2nd row, apart from maybe 5th/6th choice.

Since we are in need of a LH, it would make a lot more sense to try to find one of those who is capable of putting in some big carries.

Or, crazy I know, sign a big ball carrying 8. Then you're not compromising on set piece ability.
I agree, i would also sign a big ball carrying 8, but I'm not the one telling the media we're not signing an 8, the club are. So either they're bluffing (i hope they are), or they are serious about not signing an 8. And if they are not going to sign an 8, we will need to find some ball carriers from somewhere.

I also agree that at second row, we look good, but equally, Martin has had 3 knee injuries in 18 months and cannot play every week and will need rotating. Henderson has also had 2 ACL's in 3 years - both of those things means they will need managing.

Now you and others may feel that Wells is a decent back up to Martin as a heavy ball carrying lock, that is cool. However I am unsure that he can fulfil that role, hence the suggestion for looking for a heavy ball carrying lock.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Spink would be preferable given he would be EQP and we're potentially losing Porter and/or Phil C who are also EQP.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Anybody know if Eloff is EQP? I'm assuming not but you can never be certain
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:26 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 am I'm not convinced by the theory of signing a big carrying lock to replace Wiese's contribution. Unless you're going to drop/move Martin or Chessum, the big carrying lock will be on the bench, so how is he going to replace Wiese's contribution? You've then also got Henderson and Wells who would be pushed down the pecking order. Seems to me that we're well set for the 2nd row, apart from maybe 5th/6th choice.

Since we are in need of a LH, it would make a lot more sense to try to find one of those who is capable of putting in some big carries.

Or, crazy I know, sign a big ball carrying 8. Then you're not compromising on set piece ability.
I agree, i would also sign a big ball carrying 8, but I'm not the one telling the media we're not signing an 8, the club are. So either they're bluffing (i hope they are), or they are serious about not signing an 8. And if they are not going to sign an 8, we will need to find some ball carriers from somewhere.

I also agree that at second row, we look good, but equally, Martin has had 3 knee injuries in 18 months and cannot play every week and will need rotating. Henderson has also had 2 ACL's in 3 years - both of those things means they will need managing.

Now you and others may feel that Wells is a decent back up to Martin as a heavy ball carrying lock, that is cool. However I am unsure that he can fulfil that role, hence the suggestion for looking for a heavy ball carrying lock.
I don't think Wells is decent backup as a heavy ball carrying lock, I think he's very good backup as a lock full stop.

As you yourself have pointed out, carrying ability doesn't have to come from specific positions, it just needs to be in the team somewhere.

If we're talking about someone who would be backup for Martin, then how would it be a substitute for a ball carrier at 8? If all are fit, we would have lost Wiese and still have the same elsewhere in the pack that we have now - so net carrying ability has reduced. How is that a solution?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:19 am Personally not sure Perese would be an upgrade, his highlights are good but not outstanding and we already have Kata who can arguably fill that role but better in a non-EQP slot. As for Eloff he's certainly a big guy, his Rebels profile puts him at 6'3" and 19.5 stone. That said I don't remember the Rebels scrum ever being particularly dominant so not sure he'd be exactly what we need.
Eloff can play both sides of the scrum so that could be part of thinking there. A potentially handy squad option.

Spink would be a sizeable addition at 13 and as noted is EQ which is always useful.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 pm From what I've seen, Hoyt looks a better bet to be 4th choice than Richardson.
Not sure where this bandwagon to allow Richardson to leave has come from? Last time he played, for 80 mins, he was roundly praised. He’s still young by tighthead standards, and has plenty of years in him. I’d be looking to keep him as a good 4th choice.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:49 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 pm From what I've seen, Hoyt looks a better bet to be 4th choice than Richardson.
Not sure where this bandwagon to allow Richardson to leave has come from? Last time he played, for 80 mins, he was roundly praised. He’s still young by tighthead standards, and has plenty of years in him. I’d be looking to keep him as a good 4th choice.
Well this is a Supporter's Forum, where people can give opinions on topics, and that may mean reading opinions that you don't agree with. Me suggesting Hoyt would be a better 4th choice than Richardson is not a bandwagon!

Hoyt is a 20 year old prop that looks to have a good potential and has come from our academy. Personally I'd rather we developed him from being a 4th choice TH, then have that spot taken up by someone has barely played under 3 successive Head Coaches, and struggled last week at Ealing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:36 pm
Well this is a Supporter's Forum, where people can give opinions on topics, and that may mean reading opinions that you don't agree with. Me suggesting Hoyt would be a better 4th choice than Richardson is not a bandwagon!

Hoyt is a 20 year old prop that looks to have a good potential and has come from our academy. Personally I'd rather we developed him from being a 4th choice TH, then have that spot taken up by someone has barely played under 3 successive Head Coaches, and struggled last week at Ealing.
I'm strongly in the "Hoyt as 4th choice" camp, if he can stay fit. Would I be wrong in assuming that Richardson would just go back to Notts and still be available in a crisis?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

mulling it over whilst working last night I really like the idea of moving Martin to 8 and bringing in the bulky ball carrying lock, it'd make Martin more effective ball in hand than he already is and give 2 line out options in the back row
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:39 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:36 pm

I'm strongly in the "Hoyt as 4th choice" camp, if he can stay fit. Would I be wrong in assuming that Richardson would just go back to Notts and still be available in a crisis?
If we can dual-register him and it not have too much of an impact on the salary cap, then that would be a sensible way of operating i'd have thought. Interesting that Ellof is capable of playing both sides, which is pretty handy versatility!