Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:40 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:05 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 pm Are we sure Freddie isn't injured? He had been carrying an arm/shoulder injury in the run up to the 6N?

Furbank is a capable full back, it's the continued selection of Daly on the wing that worries me. They will just send Van De Merve down his channel and be waved by or a feeble attempt at a tackle when he's gone past.
The official story is he’s fit. I agree though what post game photos I’ve seen of Freddie sans shirt he’s is heavily strapped shoulder upper arm area
It could be one of those, he'd play if it he needed to, but can struggle on...

Was that the shoulder he injured right at the beginning of a game? Was it Saracens?
Quite possibly by the time the French game comes round he’ll have had a months break from games so should help
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Gobsmacked after Freddie's performance vs Wales. Mind you, Furbank did crunch Quin's giant 12 in a recent club match so may have beefed up and toughened up relative to his first cap vs France.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not a jock wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:55 pm Gobsmacked after Freddie's performance vs Wales. Mind you, Furbank did crunch Quin's giant 12 in a recent club match so may have beefed up and toughened up relative to his first cap vs France.
It has often been mentioned on the telly that a lot of the Saints backs have put on a few Kilos making them more physical
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

According to Wikipedia Furbank is 14 st 7 lbs compared to Steward at 16 st 12 lbs so even if Furbank has put on 7 lbs he’s still nearly 2 stone lighter than Steward so physicality is not the reason. They probably just see Furbank as quicker.
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Interesting article somewhere today, can't remember where, pointing out that we haven't scored more than 20 away to Scotland since Mr Woodward was in charge. Plus the forecast looks good.

Borthwick gets so much flak for being conservative and risk averse, surely he deserves at least a little praise for showing some attacking intent?

Apparently the plan for the 6N was Smith at 10, Lawrence at 12 and Furbank at 15, but had to be adapted with the first two unavailable.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Borthwick knows all he needs to about Steward but needs to know sooner rather than later if Furbank can make the step up
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:38 am Borthwick knows all he needs to about Steward but needs to know sooner rather than later if Furbank can make the step up
I think this is exactly the point. However, unfortunately for England fans, Scotland are certainly not going to be an easy test, and it is maybe not the game to do this. If at all, it should have been done against Italy or Wales.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Interesting couple of reports that the original plan in the build up to the tournament was Smith at 10, Lawrence at 12 and Furbank and 15 but injuries meant changes were necessary and Steward came back in at 15.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steward dropped

Post by fortysix »

When I suggested Steward wasnt a shoe in due to his total lack of outright pace, I was told he was too solid to be removed.

Well, Borthwick has just dropped him.

It must be in the equation that Tigers change him to Centre, where his bullocking attributes can be best utilised

What does everyone think?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Steward dropped

Post by Rugbygramps »

That you need to take more water with it and stop trying to turn Steward into something he will never be
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Steward dropped

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fortysix wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:16 am When I suggested Steward wasnt a shoe in due to his total lack of outright pace, I was told he was too solid to be removed.

Well, Borthwick has just dropped him.

It must be in the equation that Tigers change him to Centre, where his bullocking attributes can be best utilised

What does everyone think?
No because his biggest strength - the high ball - is neutralised....

I don't think this is Steward dropped, this is Borthwick looking at Furbank to have options in future plus resting Steward
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Freddie made some good ground after catching 99% of ball including after contact. We will see if Furbank can do the same. I remember when the aim was to win the 6 Nations and the Autumn series were friendlies to try new things. Now World Cup seems to be the only thing weaker teams, including England now, focus on.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Personally, unless there is an injury niggle, I think dropping Freddie is absolute bonkers. The weather of light showers and winds is going to result in plenty of kicking from Russell, especially now England has taken out one of their strongest assets.

Compare this to Furbank who to date has been inconsistent in an England shirt.

But I guess England fans like a new "chosen one" don't they?
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Once Saints and Quins win something again imaging how load the media noise will be :smt044
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Furbank is in because Borthwick wants to use a secondary playmaker at the back like he did at times in the world cup with Marcus Smith or he did with Tigers when he used Burns at 15.

Furbank has a good kicking game which could be very useful against the Russell/Kinghorn combination from Scotland. Last year we kept Scotland pinned back well for good portions of the game but our defence couldn't contain them. If the defence can do the job this time the Scottish pack is going to have to work very hard and there's a drop off from the starters to the bench for them whilst England have some good options.