Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:03 pm Freddie Steward out of the match day 23. Rotated or injured
Rotated / dropped apparently. He’s fit for selection by reports. Surprising if you ask me…
Even with tigers glasses on he can’t have been dropped he was very good v Wales
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:07 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:03 pm Freddie Steward out of the match day 23. Rotated or injured
Rotated / dropped apparently. He’s fit for selection by reports. Surprising if you ask me…
Freddie dropped, Daly retained, the world has gone mad, Is Borthwick the only person in UK who thinks Daly is any good
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I can only guess that this was planned rotation as you certainly could not drop him on form.

I guess that you have to look at the other options and better this than v France or Ireland.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Does seem odd not using Steward, especially as he was universally lauded as having his best game in a white shirt last time out.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Borthwick cowering to media pressure on Freddie, there has been a movement to get him dropped for a while.

I want England to win obviously but I want Furbank to be completely exposed in the air and destroyed in defence
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:07 pm

Freddie dropped, Daly retained, the world has gone mad, Is Borthwick the only person in UK who thinks Daly is any good
Maybe expecting a different kind of game vs Scotland, with fewer kicks to receive. There's always a logic with SB, and it is definitely not media pressure, rest or form.

In fairness, it seems most professional coaches think Daly is good, he got most of his caps before Borthwick came along. Pundits and journos seem to think he's quite good too.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm I can only guess that this was planned rotation as you certainly could not drop him on form.

I guess that you have to look at the other options and better this than v France or Ireland.
I’m guessing that is it and they’ve got to look at Furbank sometime, who is very good going forward and offers the 2nd distribution role. Finn Russell licking his lips with 2 big centres and wings lots of balls in the air.
If Furbank takes a knock, Daley to fullback
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the lad in the 23 shirt has played 2 minutes of Rugby over the tournament, 1 minute in each game, Steve clearly doesn't trust him so put Freddie in that shirt at least
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:14 pm
GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm I can only guess that this was planned rotation as you certainly could not drop him on form.

I’m guessing that is it and they’ve got to look at Furbank sometime, who is very good going forward and offers the 2nd distribution role. Finn Russell licking his lips with 2 big centres and wings lots of balls in the air.
They have looked at Furbank a few times in different positions verdict he was poop
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:14 pm

They have looked at Furbank a few times in different positions verdict he was poop
But he has shown great form this season and so perhaps the coaches feel that he deserves a shot. I have not seen enough Northampton games this season to judge one way or another but we will see how it goes. If he does well, it will be great to have a choice between 2 fullbacks and to give Steward some down time. If not, lesson learned.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It’s almost as if Borthwick is saying “our best player in the air isn’t playing, so go there please”. Furbank has been excellent this season, so it will be interesting to see how he goes.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Calcutta Cup away isn't the time to try someone out when we haven't won for a number of years, if you wanted to do that he should have played Vs Italy, or Daly should have been dropped with Freddie moved to the wing so if its not working you can swap them in game without much fuss, if Russell sees a weakness he will pepper him
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Doesn’t make sense to me - it’s pretty obvious what Scotland will do early doors and in particular if it’s wet.

2 midgets out of our back three - cue an aerial barrage
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm Doesn’t make sense to me - it’s pretty obvious what Scotland will do early doors and in particular if it’s wet.

2 midgets out of our back three - cue an aerial barrage
the spiteful side of me wants it to happen just so I can go all we told you so you idiots now you see why Freddie is the best by a distance but I still want England to win, partly why its annoyed me as much
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Maybe that is the plan, Scotland have some big runners and have scored some great tries from open play oo maybe encouraging them to kick at us may disrupt that game plan. Waste of Russell's talents if he spends the game pumping up bombs.

I am assuming that Furbank is no mug under the high ball these days anyway from the reports I have seen from Northampton, again, not seen enough of them this season to comment personally.