Ealing PRC game info

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ealing PRC game info

Post by Offside »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:17 pm Lesson to be learned was Exeter at 17-0 down had some easy 3pointers with plenty of time but kept kicking to the corner or taking tap penalties which resulted in no tries!
Build a score and then the pressure mounts.
Exactly. I hope Tigers learn that for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Watching the match today.
I can see why Mercer doesn’t make the England squad. When the game got physical he was less impressive.

However he looks like he should have been a centre. Eye for a gap, power, pace and a decent boot. Like a stronger, faster version of Farrell.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 pm Watching the match today.
I can see why Mercer doesn’t make the England squad. When the game got physical he was less impressive.

However he looks like he should have been a centre. Eye for a gap, power, pace and a decent boot. Like a stronger, faster version of Farrell.
I didn’t watch the game but he got POTS playing at 8,in the French league,physicality wasn’t a problem for him at all.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 pm Watching the match today.

I agree he was very good when his front five were on top, which he no doubt had in Montpellier, 2nd half when Exeter came back into it he was virtually anonymous
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I guess some just don’t watch a lot of French rugby then
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

He had a very good first half, like most of the Gloucester team but they all found it harder to compete in the second half. Mercer was man of the match first half but not convinced he was second half.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:17 pm Lesson to be learned was Exeter at 17-0 down had some easy 3pointers with plenty of time but kept kicking to the corner or taking tap penalties which resulted in no tries!
If they had potted all their kickable penalties they would have had a comfortable win.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:44 pm
If they had potted all their kickable penalties they would have had a comfortable win.
Yeah, but that argument does not hold water does it? Never does. So let’s say they took the first pen they could instead of whatever they actually did do. They take the pen then it’s a restart from the half way line as opposed to what actually happened which was entirely different. From that point on how can you say what actually happened would have occurred exactly the same? You can’t. It’s a different random reality. Irrelevant argument.

Sorry, it’s one of my bugbears in these sort of discussions! No offence meant! :smt003
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:17 pm
Yeah, but that argument does not hold water does it? Never does. So let’s say they took the first pen they could instead of whatever they actually did do. They take the pen then it’s a restart from the half way line as opposed to what actually happened which was entirely different. From that point on how can you say what actually happened would have occurred exactly the same? You can’t. It’s a different random reality. Irrelevant argument.

Sorry, it’s one of my bugbears in these sort of discussions! No offence meant! :smt003
Exeter have long been a preponent of kicking to the corner early tires out the opposition if they defend on their lines for a long time, even if you don't score then it takes it out of the opposition legs which allows for cashing in later
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:10 am

Exeter have long been a preponent of kicking to the corner early tires out the opposition if they defend on their lines for a long time, even if you don't score then it takes it out of the opposition legs which allows for cashing in later
Depends who you're playing, how they're playing, and the conditions too. Often 3 points per opportunity will not be enough to win a match, particularly against the better teams.

Games are much more high scoring than they were even 5 years ago, and just taking the 3 every time is not the irrefutable wisdom that it once was. The game has changed.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I completely agree with you. I made the same point after Skorsan butchered 3 try scoring opportunities in the semi final. He scores the first different chain of events occurs. I was told by someone not a valid view as it stops debate.
Anyway I think we can all agree that Exeter should have taken at least a couple of penalty shots
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

A different trouser leg of time.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I accept that things would have been different had Exeter started kicking penalties. Glaws would probably have given fewer away and would have to have played more conservatively; it may also have lifted Exeter to see their scoreboard start moving. My (and Austin's) point about their penalties was more about the sheer number Glaws gave away with no consequences.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Mercers defence is not up to scratch. Watched him 100% in the second half and he often went ''missing'.
However, as with Earl, think they both would make brilliant centres..
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Not sure I get this seeming obsession of people just saying the big lad with decent hands should just convert to centre.