LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by RunTigerRun »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:46 am Couple of interesting whispers about Tigers. Firstly we got offered Jesse Kriel, however his agent wanted silly money and what we were prepared to pay was way off the agent's valuation.

Secondly is regarding prop and that Luan De Bruin is apparently close to a return back to us. Personally don't have an issue with that as a back up prop. He did ok in that role last time out, and can cover TH. Indeed, we still don't know if Coley is staying on for next season so he may well be coming in as a back up TH. Either way, as back up, I'm comfortable with that, if indeed true.
Damn Jesse Kriel would be my dream player in a Tigers shirt! Reigniting the Pollard Kriel axis that worked a dream in the Bok U20s and with the Bulls!! Shame if the fee was silly but shows the calibre of player we are attracting / looking for!

Regarding de Bruin, if prop stocks are Gallo, Whitcombe, de Bruin I’d be happy. As you say he covers TH too so him and Richardson covering both sides would add depth with relatively little cost. He seemed happy with us too and was well liked. Wouldn’t be a bad move imo.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would be a great set of props that!

1. Gallo, De Bruin, Whitcombe
3. Cole, Hurd, Heyes

Although no confirmed signings, from what we’ve heard, it does seem we’re definitely in the market for a 13.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would be happy if we maintained the Status Quo with our centres, including Porter, for next season until 1 or 2 of the youngsters are ready to step up
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Weren't there rumours about Jesse Kriel a couple of years ago?

It would be nice, but I can't see it happen - just a gut feeling. I hope I am wrong.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think De Bruin is better at TH than LH, but that said he’s still a formidable LH. I’d be more than happy to see him back, he was a tidy addition during his first spell.
Is the belief Gallo being talked about is in lieu of Fisichetti? How long does Richardson have left on his deal?
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I liked De Bruin.

As for Genge’s name cropping up again, I can’t see it. Feels like a divorced husband banging on about his ex wife constantly, set him free.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:15 pm I liked De Bruin.

As for Genge’s name cropping up again, I can’t see it. Feels like a divorced husband banging on about his ex wife constantly, set him free.
Most, if not all, of the rumours regarding Genge are coming up from Bristol. The rumours from down there include that he's fallen out with Lam, including a full-blown argument or disagreement between them. He clearly look miserable playing for them, and he spends a lot of time in Leicester at the gym.

I don't believe he will come back, I think it's more unlikely than likely, but I don't believe it's out of the question either. In any case, we need a LH, he is a LH - there will be an element of sounding out going on even if it comes to nothing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:17 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:06 pm Thomas Gallo as a loose head anyone…?!?

I know I’ve mentioned it as a loose hope, but this suggests there could be more in it?

https://www.onrugby.it/2024/02/12/benet ... -italiane/

Translation and excerpt below for those who can’t click the link:

But that's not all. In the green and white house the ideas are different. In the third line the profiles under the magnifying glass are those of Jadin Kingi and Giulio Marini, while on the front line, with the Argentine Thomas Gallo who could leave in the direction of Leicester and the hookers Giacomo Nicotera and Gianmarco Lucchesi heading towards France, the ideas are called Riccardo Genovese and Nicholas Gasperini, without forgetting Destiny Aminu.
Would be a great signing
Gallo looked very good at the world cup and he's only 24 so should still come into his prime years. Knows Montoya well.

Luan de Bruin would he a handy acquisition as he covers both sides.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Has de Bruin played for Edinburgh this season? Think he's had quite a lengthy lay off with a back injury.

He'd be a decent pickup for that 'both sides' role that Logo and Leatigaga played, particularly if we're also signing an international LH...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Could the De Bruin be a swap with Hurd potentially? We could do without 3 of our TH's being in international setups. A Scottish team may want him as a Scotland prospect for the SRU to have more control?

Not saying he's going, but wouldn't shock me
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:16 pm Could the De Bruin be a swap with Hurd potentially? We could do without 3 of our TH's being in international setups. A Scottish team may want him as a Scotland prospect for the SRU to have more control?

Fair comment.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:16 pm Could the De Bruin be a swap with Hurd potentially? We could do without 3 of our TH's being in international setups. A Scottish team may want him as a Scotland prospect for the SRU to have more control?

That’s a great shout that is!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am not sure what De Bruin did when he was with us for so many to be anxious for his return. He was an adequate member of our squad but in my opinion nothing more. It looks as if he has not been available or not used fully in his time with Edinburgh, for me we need to hang onto Hurd a young p!ayer who will get better, Dan Cole is still playing well but his time is limited. We do need another loosened either from within our own ranks (Van der Flier possibly) or a signing.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:49 am I am not sure what De Bruin did when he was with us for so many to be anxious for his return. He was an adequate member of our squad but in my opinion nothing more. It looks as if he has not been available or not used fully in his time with Edinburgh, for me we need to hang onto Hurd a young p!ayer who will get better, Dan Cole is still playing well but his time is limited. We do need another loosened either from within our own ranks (Van der Flier possibly) or a signing.
It's all based on about one or 2 scrums v a 2nd string French Side if I remember correctly.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:34 pm

Fair comment.
I'd rather not lose Hurd. He's a Leicestershire Lad (raised in Ashby). He's a whole 7 years younger than de Bruin and has steadily improved at Tigers. Big Dan won't continue forever and in Heyes and Hurd there's two tightheads who are reliable right now and still improving (plus at an age where we could have them for many years yet).

de Bruin to replace van Wyk would be a great bit of business though as his ability to cover both sides would help during the 6N period and he showed last time he was here he could cover both sides well.