2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by tigerburnie »

That was a very good Irish performance, Italy just couldn't get anything to work, even the ref had a very good performance as well........................................and I've not been drinking either lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Very clinical from Ireland kept going to the end maybe Scotland could learn from it 😂
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

It makes me almost impressed with Tigers’ loss to Ireland-lite by only the 17 points! :smt003
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:48 pm It makes me almost impressed with Tigers’ loss to Ireland-lite by only the 17 points! :smt003
Yes, perspective :smt023
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

KiwiTig wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:04 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:02 pm Chessum is a brilliant lock but not a flanker, let alone an international one.

In Chessum, Itoje and Martin England have 3 top flight locks.

Stewart, bar tripping himself up was England's best player.
Reffell MOTM. Without him it would have been a cricket score.

Ford has one good kick for a 50:22 but otherwise did little to suggest he should be picked ahead of Smith.

Again Daly found out in defence when he had a better game otherwise. Cole comes on and demolished the Wales loose head. Says less about him than Stuart- another Bath player who gets picked because he plays for Bath.
Steward 🙄
Ford is still great but steady, Smith is greater but unpredictable so Borthwick (if you watch his interviews has been told to smile) will not take a risk with Smith just yet.
I really don’t have a downer on our Dan but to say he demolished the Welsh 27 year old debutant loose head after previously being done by a 20 year old debutant Italian LH last week is a bit rich - I give DC much credit for his 2 scrum pens but come on this is supposed to be entertainment and he does nothing in the open.- add that Will Stuart is equally happy just waddling around like a duck looking for bread, I really want to see Heyes and Genge run around and scrap like the outstanding athletes they are.
Freddie and Chessum are just sound and I’m so glad we have Tommy …I am really expectant about our Leinster fixture
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

This England team definitely has some potential, despite only scraping past a very poor Wales side who only have one decent player (Refell, obviously).

Ioan Lloyd proving why the flash player is rarely the right choice. Basics, basics, basics.

Itoje seems at his best when his team is down a man or two, it's almost like he needs that adversity to come alive.

Dingwall clearly isn't the answer at 12. Lawrence asap please.

World class performance from Steward - convert to centre? Don't be daft.

Ford was excellent, and Cole is a wonderful impact sub :smt023

"Basics done well wins test rugby" - Jamie Roberts.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here's an article in today's Midi Olympique singing the praises of Freddie Steward, awarding him the Oscar of the week and calling him "Monsieur Propre", or Mr Clean!

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/02/12/6-n ... 759332.php
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

England definitely made some small strides in the right direction the 2 yellow cards took a while to get over.
Tigers wise Reffell was again fantastic, amazing to think he wouldn’t be starting if their skipper was fit.
Steward for a 12 playing out of position was fantastic and motm imo.
Chessum had another solid performance and is a good foil for Itoje. Thought the yellow card was unlucky as the Underhill tackle dramatically changed the Welshplayers position and I thought he hit the ball first.
Cole it’s easy to look at what he doesn’t do. England and he know his limitations, what he continues to do is solid set piece, clears out plenty of rucks, good maul and guard defence.

Changes for the Scottish game. Tighthead would like to see Cole start and Heyes on the bench but doubt it will happen, Genge has to start. Barbeary in at 8 for me with Earl to 7. Lawrence into the centre and another winger to replace Daley.
M Smith onto the bench if fit
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:09 am England definitely made some small strides in the right direction the 2 yellow cards took a while to get over.
Tigers wise Reffell was again fantastic, amazing to think he wouldn’t be starting if their skipper was fit.
Chessum had another solid performance and is a good foil for Itoje. Thought the yellow card was unlucky as the Underhill tackle dramatically changed the Welshplayers position and I thought he hit the ball first.
Cole it’s easy to look at what he doesn’t do. England and he know his limitations, what he continues to do is solid set piece, clears out plenty of rucks, good maul and guard defence.

Changes for the Scottish game. Tighthead would like to see Cole start and Heyes on the bench but doubt it will happen, Genge has to start. Barbeary in at 8 for me with Earl to 7. Lawrence into the centre and another winger to replace Daley.
Agree with all this.

We’ve won 2/2 but things need to change for us to get any more wins in the competition.

2 weeks to the next game so plenty of time to bring in changes and get them up to speed.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wasn’t knocking Cole but making the point that Will Stewart doesn’t scrummage and is no more effective in the loose. Might as well give Heyes a chance.

Let’s hope Lawrence if fit and Borthwick drop George’s mate Daly. His versatility makes him a consideration for the bench but he isn’t good enough to make him a starter. Play I F-W. Some stars shine bright and fizzle out so give him his chance when he is shining. His defence is way better than Daly (but the same applies to my late granny).

They had the chance to start Finn Smith in the 2 games just gone but didn’t. Barring injury to Ford I doubt Borthwick will risk it as we get to the business end of the tournament.

I think that England could have run up a big score but for Reffell who was head and shoulders above any of the players in any of the games at the weekend.

Earl was good and shows a bit of the “thou shall not pass” attitude that’s been missing from England’s back row for 20 years. But for me he is a better 7 than an 8 and there are now a few big lads coming through. Simmonds, bar one big tackle, remained anonymous.

Freddy had his best game in attack for England, but for a couple of Bambi moments (wrong studs?) he would have had the press drooling. As ever a dominant force in the air. You wonder if his perceived lack of attacking flair is more to do with him being used to chase too many of England’s (and Tigers’) kicks - there is only so much running any one can do! It’s easier to run it back when you haven’t chased the last 20 kicks.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I get what you say about F Smith but if England had lost those 2 close games with him at 10 it would have been a real issue, he did have 10 v Italy.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 am Here's an article in today's Midi Olympique singing the praises of Freddie Steward, awarding him the Oscar of the week and calling him "Monsieur Propre", or Mr Clean!

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2024/02/12/6-n ... 759332.php
This is also a cleaning product like Mr Muscle in the UK!

Thanks for the article!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:09 am England definitely made some small strides in the right direction the 2 yellow cards took a while to get over.

Agree with all this.

We’ve won 2/2 but things need to change for us to get any more wins in the competition.

2 weeks to the next game so plenty of time to bring in changes and get them up to speed.
I think we've won the 2 I thought we would win. The rest is a bit more challenging.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

If England beat Scotland and run France and Ireland close it will be signs of progress
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:53 pm If England beat Scotland and run France and Ireland close it will be signs of progress
I think we lose all 3
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer