Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:37 pm Ford got very lucky there, clearly played the man in the air
Nah....where else is he to go? Not as bad as North landing on Tommo back.in the day.....and we were up in arms about that.
don't mistake saying he's lucky it wasn't given for liking the laws, the vast majority of the time the TMO chimes in there and gives the penalty, once he knows he can't win the ball in the air he needs to take a step or 2 back and nail the winger as he lands
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:17 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:37 pm Ford got very lucky there, clearly played the man in the air
Nah....where else is he to go? Not as bad as North landing on Tommo back.in the day.....and we were up in arms about that.
don't mistake saying he's lucky it wasn't given for liking the laws, the vast majority of the time the TMO chimes in there and gives the penalty, once he knows he can't win the ball in the air he needs to take a step or 2 back and nail the winger as he lands
It's a dynamic game and I feel a lot of the slo mo dissection doesn't take into account that players will end up at the same point in time and space through no fault of their own.

A lot of things "could have been given" but these don't include forward passes, offsides etc. The basics of the game.

Not getting at you here Jimmy. Just pining for the old days.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Chessum is a brilliant lock but not a flanker, let alone an international one.

In Chessum, Itoje and Martin England have 3 top flight locks.

Stewart, bar tripping himself up was England's best player.
Reffell MOTM. Without him it would have been a cricket score.

Ford has one good kick for a 50:22 but otherwise did little to suggest he should be picked ahead of Smith.

Again Daly found out in defence when he had a better game otherwise. Cole comes on and demolished the Wales loose head. Says less about him than Stuart- another Bath player who gets picked because he plays for Bath.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The jumping for the ball needs a clarification.

I would suggest that if the jumper, who catches the ball, lands more than 2m from where he takes off, then the opposition players don't have to get out of the landing zone.
If you are within 2m you must compete for the ball.
Beyond 2m accept getting clattered.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The Wales penalty try?

Was the maul illegally pulled down or was the ball carrier tackled by a player who came through the maul?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:07 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:02 pm props changed, change the 7 and we'll have a full pack on the field
Just a light hearted question, if LH is 1, Hooker is 2, TH is 3, why are repacements LH17, H16, TH18?
I think it goes back to the 2 front row players on thr bench days.

16 was hooker
17 covererd both Loose & Tighthead

Then when the extra sub was added they left hooker at 16...

Personally winds me up
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:02 pm Chessum is a brilliant lock but not a flanker, let alone an international one.

In Chessum, Itoje and Martin England have 3 top flight locks.

Stewart, bar tripping himself up was England's best player.
Reffell MOTM. Without him it would have been a cricket score.

Ford has one good kick for a 50:22 but otherwise did little to suggest he should be picked ahead of Smith.

Again Daly found out in defence when he had a better game otherwise. Cole comes on and demolished the Wales loose head. Says less about him than Stuart- another Bath player who gets picked because he plays for Bath.
Steward 🙄
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So.....the Scottish ball on the boot thing.
Sir sees the ball on the boot and calls "held up." Is it not then held up? That is it. Ball dead. So whatever happens after that is irrelevant?

All this looking at a fight to get the ball down is a nuisance and a waste of time.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 pm The Wales penalty try?

Was the maul illegally pulled down or was the ball carrier tackled by a player who came through the maul?
IMO Root can definitely be seen pulling the maul down. For me the question is more around the fact that Earl has legally got himself onto the ball carrier so even if the maul had been driven over the line it would probably have been held up.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:13 am So.....the Scottish ball on the boot thing.
Sir sees the ball on the boot and calls "held up." Is it not then held up? That is it. Ball dead. So whatever happens after that is irrelevant?

All this looking at a fight to get the ball down is a nuisance and a waste of time.
As nofrontteeth said has to be the refs call, the match situation definitely had an impact as the call one way or another was going to affect the result.
Same call much earlier in the game the ref may well have backed himself
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:24 am
Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:13 am So.....the Scottish ball on the boot thing.

As nofrontteeth said has to be the refs call, the match situation definitely had an impact as the call one way or another was going to affect the result.
Same call much earlier in the game the ref may well have backed himself
In any case who's to say, even if the ball did hit the ground, there was 'no separation'? :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think that the ref and TMO got it absolutely spot on yesterday,I don’t see the controversy at all tbh
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

What doesn’t seem to be reflected, in the headlines at least, is the fact that Scotland threw that game away by trying to sit back on a lead and play no rugby letting the French in for their try. That’s where it was lost for me, sadly. If that were England they would be getting pelters. Well, England seem to have got pelters anyway, but you know what I mean.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:54 am What doesn’t seem to be reflected, in the headlines at least, is the fact that Scotland threw that game away by trying to sit back on a lead and play no rugby letting the French in for their try. That’s where it was lost for me, sadly. If that were England they would be getting pelters. Well, England seem to have got pelters anyway, but you know what I mean.
Go out in the second half and only score three points, can you really expect to win a test match? :smt017 Why not play how you did in the first half, makes no sense but seems to be how they are currently. Is it a fitness thing?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s a little concerning how far Ireland appear to be ahead of the rest