Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:10 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:51 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm

I’m possibly alone in being underwhelmed by his performance for France, once he comes across test standard players his size doesn’t mean much, and he went to floor easily.
His cousin Freddie was huge when he joined the academy but lost a lot of weight to play at 8 though he never had the talent.
Posolo is never going to be Nick Skelton, but I could see him losing 15 kg and turning into a very good tight head
Possibly a bit early to write off a 19 year old after half an hour of international rugby, in which he didn't really do anything wrong or look out of place.

He's 6th in the Top14 for tackles broken (more per game than Skelton so far this season), and averages nearly 40m per game, so he's hardly ineffective.

Will Skelton wasn't always as effective as he is now, it takes time to learn how to make the most of your size at international level after growing up steamrollering all your teenage opponents.

The chances of him spending a couple of years learning tighthead, when he's already an international at 19 in his current position(s), is approximately zero.
Going to agree to disagree, I thought he did look off the pace, admittedly in a 7 man pack, and were it not for injuries and suspensions he wouldn’t he near the French squad, and imo stats only tell part of the story it’s how he’s used by his club. Again imo his height could be an issue because unless he grows taller he is going to be the same size as Antonio.
Not saying you are but people get excited by the Tuilagi surname, the same happened with his cousin and he was on the bench for a Nat. 1 side last time I saw
You say stats, I say facts. However you're used by your club, if you're breaking more tackles than all but 5 others in the Top14, at age 19, in a team that's largely on the back foot, then surely you've got plenty of ability? :smt017

The success or lack of by another family member is completely irrelevant.

I'm not getting excited about Posolo, I've only seen him play twice now, time will tell whether he makes it at the very highest level, but he's pretty certain to have a decent career. However, when a teenager is criticised, written off and put down based on his first 30 minutes of international rugby, against one of the top teams in the world, while his team gets a bit of a hammering and is down to 14, I think he deserves to be defended at least a little.

P.s. this whole "stats" don't mean anything argument is a bit Donald Trump, isn't it?

"Ignore the stats, I definitely won that election"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I see Kevin Sinfield is on the Harlequins shortlist to replace Jerry Flannery
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As I say you see one thing I see another. He has one thing on his side, size, and I’m not writing him off I’m just giving my opinion on what I saw

You do like to be definitive in your opinion don’t you. My car does 60 miles to the gallon in says so in the press blurb. Unfortunately it’s very difficult to drive at 56 miles on a flat road all the time
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm As I say you see one thing I see another. He has one thing on his side, size, and I’m not writing him off I’m just giving my opinion on what I saw

You do like to be definitive in your opinion don’t you. My car does 60 miles to the gallon in says so in the press blurb. Unfortunately it’s very difficult to drive at 56 miles on a flat road all the time
The analogy doesn't work.

I'm not saying Posolo has been tested in perfect training conditions and can break X amount if tackles. I'm saying he has, in real world competitive top flight conditions, achieved X amount of broken tackles.

So, it's more like saying "over the last 6 months, my car has actually achieved 60 miles per gallon". Which would be pretty good, just like Posolo clearly and demonstrably is.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:35 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm As I say you see one thing I see another. He has one thing on his side, size, and I’m not writing him off I’m just giving my opinion on what I saw

I'm not saying Posolo has been tested in perfect training conditions and can break X amount if tackles. I'm saying he has, in real world competitive top flight conditions, achieved X amount of broken tackles.

So, it's more like saying "over the last 6 months, my car has actually achieved 60 miles per gallon". Which would be pretty good, just like Posolo clearly and demonstrably is.
Well neither does your Trump, he’s a delusional crook. but there you go. My point is which I have a feeling you know, is without delving deeper stats can say anything. As an example how many times does he stand out in midfield and used to run against backs where you would expect him to win collisions and gain ground.
Anyway I expect we could do this all day and I’m as bored of you as you no doubt are of me. You saw one thing I saw another, let’s debate in another 10 tests time assuming he gets that far
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Cobus Wiese reported to be joining the Bulls next season
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:35 pm

Well neither does your Trump, he’s a delusional crook. but there you go. My point is which I have a feeling you know, is without delving deeper stats can say anything. As an example how many times does he stand out in midfield and used to run against backs where you would expect him to win collisions and gain ground.
Anyway I expect we could do this all day and I’m as bored of you as you no doubt are of me. You saw one thing I saw another, let’s debate in another 10 tests time assuming he gets that far
Is breaking tackles not a good thing if it's in midfield? Surely having your big powerful players running at smaller backs, and vice versa, is exactly what you want?

If stats can say anything, find a stat that shows Posolo Tuilagi hasn't broken a lot of tackles this season. I'll wait...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

One game doesn't make a career. Particularly at 19 in a side very much struggling. 3 carries for 3m for him Vs Ireland which tracks as he was mainly run in brick walls and the Irish defence is very rarely broken that directly. 5 tackles and 1 missed. Not bad but a pretty rough awakening to what it's like at the top level. I suspect we'll see plenty more of him. There will undoubtedly be a learning curve like there is for most 19 year olds.

He does live up to the name he isn't there solely because of it. France aren't short of locks they can call up even if they were missing a few currently ahead of him in the pecking order.

Over in France a big lock who doesn't jump much if at all at the lineout isn't particularly unusual. Willemse lifts more than he jumps, Skelton as well, Romain Taofifénua who Tuilagi replaced on the bench is similar. It's extra weight in the scrum and maul plus another hefty unit to get you over the gain line and start some momentum.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:24 pm I see Kevin Sinfield is on the Harlequins shortlist to replace Jerry Flannery
Yeah Flannery off to join the Boks. Sinfield's defence could suit Quins who are playing a more aggressive strategy already this season. Certainly at Tigers the Borthwick/Sinfield tactics put jacklers into positions to be a menace and Quins have players that will definitely enjoy that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:15 pm
One game doesn't make a career. Particularly at 19 in a side very much struggling. 3 carries for 3m for him Vs Ireland which tracks as he was mainly run in brick walls and the Irish defence is very rarely broken that directly. 5 tackles and 1 missed. Not bad but a pretty rough awakening to what it's like at the top level. I suspect we'll see plenty more of him. There will undoubtedly be a learning curve like there is for most 19 year olds.

He does live up to the name he isn't there solely because of it. France aren't short of locks they can call up even if they were missing a few currently ahead of him in the pecking order.

Over in France a big lock who doesn't jump much if at all at the lineout isn't particularly unusual. Willemse lifts more than he jumps, Skelton as well, Romain Taofifénua who Tuilagi replaced on the bench is similar. It's extra weight in the scrum and maul plus another hefty unit to get you over the gain line and start some momentum.
Lot of contradictions in there Sam. As I say time will tell, I hope for the lad’s sake he has a long and successful career in tests
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:22 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:10 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:51 pm

Possibly a bit early to write off a 19 year old after half an hour of international rugby, in which he didn't really do anything wrong or look out of place.

He's 6th in the Top14 for tackles broken (more per game than Skelton so far this season), and averages nearly 40m per game, so he's hardly ineffective.

Will Skelton wasn't always as effective as he is now, it takes time to learn how to make the most of your size at international level after growing up steamrollering all your teenage opponents.

The chances of him spending a couple of years learning tighthead, when he's already an international at 19 in his current position(s), is approximately zero.
Going to agree to disagree, I thought he did look off the pace, admittedly in a 7 man pack, and were it not for injuries and suspensions he wouldn’t he near the French squad, and imo stats only tell part of the story it’s how he’s used by his club. Again imo his height could be an issue because unless he grows taller he is going to be the same size as Antonio.
Not saying you are but people get excited by the Tuilagi surname, the same happened with his cousin and he was on the bench for a Nat. 1 side last time I saw
You say stats, I say facts. However you're used by your club, if you're breaking more tackles than all but 5 others in the Top14, at age 19, in a team that's largely on the back foot, then surely you've got plenty of ability? :smt017

The success or lack of by another family member is completely irrelevant.

I'm not getting excited about Posolo, I've only seen him play twice now, time will tell whether he makes it at the very highest level, but he's pretty certain to have a decent career. However, when a teenager is criticised, written off and put down based on his first 30 minutes of international rugby, against one of the top teams in the world, while his team gets a bit of a hammering and is down to 14, I think he deserves to be defended at least a little.

P.s. this whole "stats" don't mean anything argument is a bit Donald Trump, isn't it?

"Ignore the stats, I definitely won that election"
From the 30 mins I saw, this kids got talent, at 19yrs old he's got time and I think he could be a big star, he went looking for work, not like many who would whilst making their debut at his age, with support from many big French stars against a superb Irish side, this kid will make it I'm sure.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:16 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:24 pm I see Kevin Sinfield is on the Harlequins shortlist to replace Jerry Flannery
Yeah Flannery off to join the Boks. Sinfield's defence could suit Quins who are playing a more aggressive strategy already this season. Certainly at Tigers the Borthwick/Sinfield tactics put jacklers into positions to be a menace and Quins have players that will definitely enjoy that.
Hes also on the Bath list and the Scotland list too.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I was flicking through Sir Kev's autobiography in Tescos the other day (the Tigers chapters, obviously) and was amazed at how difficult he found it with us. I had no idea he told Borthwick he wasn't coming back after the first few days.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Louis Lynagh potentially heading to Benetton, with the context that he's half-Italian
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:09 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm

Is breaking tackles not a good thing if it's in midfield? Surely having your big powerful players running at smaller backs, and vice versa, is exactly what you want?

If stats can say anything, find a stat that shows Posolo Tuilagi hasn't broken a lot of tackles this season. I'll wait...
How's it go? lies, damn lies and statistics