2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am I wonder if there was any chat about the centres following the Italy game. Thought Slade had a decent game but Dingwall was average, but then again it was his first cap in a different environment.

Hope Heyes gets into the 23 as well. Steward doesn’t convince for me, though he carried well, and time might finally be catching up with Coley.
You wold imagine Genge if fit will be back into the match day squad
Think Dingwall plays better with a runner outside him like Lawrence / Freeman. Didn’t think him and Slade were awful together and centres are always a problem so might be best leaving them.

Agree about Genge and Heyes. Would also play Dombrandt but can see SB keeping everything the same.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As another poster mentioned, while Ford never shirks a tackle he very rarely makes a dominant collision which can cause issues for the rest of the back line. His back row need to give him more support
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

On the prop side of things, it may be just me, I had had a beer or 2 by the time the match kicked off which hit hard after dry January, but Mahler looked out of place in the new game plan, strangely seemed more apparent that he was a player from the last generation playing in a more modern structure and game plan.

Did not notice as much with Cole when he came on as I had had a few more beers by then but, despite the fact that we may not have better scrummagers, it does seem time to move on to other options
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am l. Steward doesn’t convince for me, though he carried well,
Do you mean Stuart? If so, I agree; if you mean Steward, I don't.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:21 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am l. Steward doesn’t convince for me, though he carried well,
Do you mean Stuart? If so, I agree; if you mean Steward, I don't.
As the conversation was about props yes my apologies I meant Stuart. I do know how you hate me repeating myself though
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm On the prop side of things, it may be just me, I had had a beer or 2 by the time the match kicked off which hit hard after dry January, but Marler looked out of place in the new game plan, strangely seemed more apparent that he was a player from the last generation playing in a more modern structure and game plan.

Did not notice as much with Cole when he came on as I had had a few more beers by then but, despite the fact that we may not have better scrummagers, it does seem time to move on to other options
Different people see different things. IMO Marler had a better game than I often see him in a Quins shirt as he doesn’t mess about as much. The point was made a couple of times with his carrying that he didn’t go too far and go out of the 22 so as to make the clearance kick easier
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I too though Marler was the best player in the front row. I too don’t understand why Heyes isn’t playing: it will be just Tigers’ luck that he is selected in the last two games and then gets injured! It’s been that sort of season!
Maybe that’s Borthwick’s plan: to keep Heyes fresh for France and Ireland.
I’ve loved everything about Old King Cole but I do think his international days are over!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

England have an issue in that none of their front row are dominant carriers. Comparison with Ireland and France is stark. In this regard we really miss Genge. Also why having a ball carrying centre would be helpful.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:53 pm England have an issue in that none of their front row are dominant carriers. Comparison with Ireland and France is stark. In this regard we really miss Genge. Also why having a ball carrying centre would be helpful.
Totally agree. It’s why imo Dann is the long term 2 as he seems to always make ground, and on the back row I’m unsure what Underhill is doing over Pearson
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:33 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am I wonder if there was any chat about the centres following the Italy game. Thought Slade had a decent game but Dingwall was average, but then again it was his first cap in a different environment.

Hope Heyes gets into the 23 as well. Steward doesn’t convince for me, though he carried well, and time might finally be catching up with Coley.
You wold imagine Genge if fit will be back into the match day squad
Think Dingwall plays better with a runner outside him like Lawrence / Freeman. Didn’t think him and Slade were awful together and centres are always a problem so might be best leaving them.

Agree about Genge and Heyes. Would also play Dombrandt but can see SB keeping everything the same.
Totally agree re Genge to liven things up a bit. I think there’s an outside chance we will see George Martin involved to which is always great for any team.

Heyes without a doubt deserves his chance but I just can’t see Borthwick letting go of his love for Cole and Stuart. Stuart has had so many opportunities to make his mark and Cole will be selected Ad infinitum under Borthwick no matter how he plays. Heyes has been outstanding this season and brings so much energy to a team in addition to his consistently strong scrummaging.

I agree too that he probably won’t change the centre partnership either and will go pretty much unchanged with the hopeful inclusion of Genge and Martin …

What’s the news on Marcus Smith ? Does anyone know how long is he out for ? I read that he will miss the Wales fixture and maybe one more but reports seem conflicting and wouldn’t trust much that comes out of rugby pass!

Would love to see the inform Fin Smith starting too but perhaps a step too far for Borthwick ? ….I don’t fancy facing Tommy Turnover this weekend either and obviously want him to do well
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought Dingwell was rather disappointing I don't remember him being mentioned other than missed tackle. Looking at the stats (https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstat ... gue=180659) he made 3 m carrying and missed 5 tackles. I know it was his first game but the lack of impact was a real concern.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Likewise Underhill. He's playing after 5 years of not doing much!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

You’re right …it’s a mixed 23 of lads in form v those who used to be in form a while back !!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:44 am You’re right …it’s a mixed 23 of lads in form v those who used to be in form a while back !!
Or... some might say a mixed 23 of experience and form?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The trouble is that experience is of underachieving since 2019.

If Cole plays, he should start and do what he does best, scrummage the opposition into fatigue and then bring on a more mobile prop for when the game breaks up. That other prop isn't Stuart. Nothing of note in the scrum or the loose.

Genge needs to return to form to make an impact in the loose. Probably means leaving Bristol as his form, like Sinckler has gone down the pan, suggesting that the scrum coaching and emphasis isn't there at that club.