RIP Barry John

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

RIP Barry John

Post by Rugbygramps »

The king has passed away at 79 peacefully. Arguably the greatest of all welsh 10s.
So sad after they celebrated the life of JPR in Cardiff yesterday

To quote Max Boyce - They broke the mould of solid gold that once made Barry John
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: RIP Barry John

Post by wardy »

Legend! Retired far too early.
Give blood, play rugby!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:07 pm The king has passed away at 79 peacefully. Arguably the greatest of all welsh 10s.
So sad after they celebrated the life of JPR in Cardiff yesterday

To quote Max Boyce - They broke the mould of solid gold that once made Barry John
Fortunate enough to see him in Cardiff - not quick - just glided over the grass leaving opponents behind - sadly missed by all us who are old enough to have seen him play
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Another Welsh Legend gone, they dont make them as good as this these days, so sad to hear this.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Another wonderful player. Very sad news.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

An absolute great ..and part of great Welsh sides .
RIP
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was surprised to learn he was 79 as that is also my age. It seems but a short time ago that he retired.
What a joy to see him play, even against England. There was a song in the hit parade in the sixties called "Poetry in Motion" and I think that perfectly sums up his play. As a man, he hated the adulation, especially being called "King". The thing that made him stop playing, when he had another six or seven years in him, was when someone touched the hem of his coat like a holy relic.
I would be interested to know how many games he played at Welford Road. The old tours down to Swansea/Llanelly/Neath at Easter were great fun and seem a lifetime ago. Probably due to the amount of beer we drank. Happy days.
Pray for the repose of the soul of a great player, a fine, family man but don't make him a Saint or King, he was an ordinary man and took pride in being so. RIP Barry.
A life long Tiger
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

A legend in the Valleys
“chwedl rygbi cymru a dyn y bydd ei enw yn byw ymlaen am byth yn y cymoedd”
Sleep well ❤️
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I wasn’t aware of the touching of the hem story Smudge. To think that if he hadn’t retired early the Welsh 10 selection would be between him and Phil Bennett. And this was in the days way before tactical replacements
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Before my time & not that much footage from then, but the bits there are & the NZ opinion of him say it all.

Piece in the Guardian makes mention of a Bank Clerk curtseyed him...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:43 am Before my time & not that much footage from then, but the bits there are & the NZ opinion of him say it all.

Piece in the Guardian makes mention of a Bank Clerk curtseyed him...
A little before my time too, so am not in a position to compare him and Bennett, imo the GOAT, properly
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Smudge wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:35 am The thing that made him stop playing, when he had another six or seven years in him, was when someone touched the hem of his coat like a holy relic.
The story quoted in the Times and elsewhere is that a woman curtsied to him, "Only a little one, but it was enough..."

It is interesting to compare and contrast with Dan Biggar's experience who said he was relieved to give up the 10 shirt because of the pressure/criticism/comparison with previous 10s. He was blamed, he said, (a little tongue in cheek, I suppose) when the lineouts went awry.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Rugbygramps wrote
I wasn’t aware of the touching of the hem story Smudge.
It was during a TV interview or chat show. It affected him profoundly. "I didn't want it" he said.
Sad, because it deprived us all, Welsh and Non Welsh alike, of seeing some wonderful skill.
A life long Tiger
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Nice story about him and Gareth Edwards when they were first picked together. They met up somewhere about half way between their houses, Gareth in a smart tracksuit and Barry in a scruffy T shirt and shorts. They fossicked about a bit but nothing productive seemed to come. Eventually, Barry John indicated he was going home and said, "Tell, you what; you throw it and I'll catch it".

And they did.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina