2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by KiwiTig »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:56 pm Tuilagi looked quite good.
He looked big
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tigers lost by less against Ireland than the world's No. 4. We are not as bad as some peope make out. That said, we had 15 players.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

The Ireland's ruck speed is a product of everything else they do - at pace, utterly 'grooved', everyone knowing exactly what to do. Unlike every other side, they train and play together outside the national team, whereas France looked as if they'd only just met - which was, indeed the case. Without Dupont's 'off the cuff' input, they were all at sea. It will be an advantage to play Ireland later in the tournament, with more time to gel, as opposed to first.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

À pal of mine knows one of the coaches who has said there’s been some serious disagreement with Galthié’s choice if players but on the evidence of yesterday evening, even if Dupont and Ntamack had been playing, the result wouldn’t have changed. Nevertheless, another defeat next Saturday in Edinburgh, and coupled with the disappointment of the World Cup, the pressure on Galthié will be mounting.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's what you would expect when 2/3 of a starting XV and close to 2/3 of a squad are playing together week in week out all season long. If you think about it it's criminal that Ireland and Ireland don't clean up everything domestic, European and Internationally. It's a huge failure on their part when all is said and done.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Despite France being down to 7 in the pack for 50 minutes, they were well in the game until around 60th minute.It is clear that they will tire. Ireland, with an extra player, just overpowered France in the pack for the last 20.

I also agree withe the above - France haven't played together as much as Leinster, but I am sure they will improve over the championship.

It would have been interesting to see what the score would have been like 15 vs 15 for 80 mins... unheard of nowadays for sure. I am not saying the 2 yellows were incorrect btw.

The reporting saying that Ireland battered France is a bit OTT, IMHO.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:59 am It's what you would expect when 2/3 of a starting XV and close to 2/3 of a squad are playing together week in week out all season long. If you think about it it's criminal that Ireland and Ireland don't clean up everything domestic, European and Internationally. It's a huge failure on their part when all is said and done.
IIRC, when they played us, in commentary it was 19/23 the same squad.

Interesting way of thinking about it, and one which hadn’t occurred to me. Good point.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:31 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:59 am It's what you would expect when 2/3 of a starting XV and close to 2/3 of a squad are playing together week in week out all season long. If you think about it it's criminal that Ireland and Ireland don't clean up everything domestic, European and Internationally. It's a huge failure on their part when all is said and done.
IIRC, when they played us, in commentary it was 19/23 the same squad.

Interesting way of thinking about it, and one which hadn’t occurred to me. Good point.
Don't quote me,but I believe that at one point,and it could've been merely seconds as a replacement was about to be made,Ireland had 15 Leinster players on the pitch once. There's something floating around my head. They've certainly had Leinsters pack on the pitch all at once at some stage
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ireland/Leinster were immense. Hugo Keenan was fantastic and made two unbelievable tackles.

I'm a big Steward fan, but Keenan sets the standard in world rugby at 15 presently.
Last edited by Soggypitch on Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soggypitch
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

With Farrell as the next Lions coach, makes me wonder how many non-Irish or non-Leinster wil get in the team or even the squad!
Give blood, play rugby!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

That’s why at the World Cup the advantage of training and playing together week in, week out, reduces as the tournament progresses as the other sides build the familiarity that having their players have.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wardy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:36 am With Farrell as the next Lions coach, makes me wonder how many non-Irish or non-Leinster wil get in the team or even the squad!
Many successful Lions tours have happened when the test team is based on one nation. 18 months to go yet but looking at the other nations who would you replace. I could only see 3 possibly 4 replacements.
The other coaches will be interesting POC must be on the plane as line out coach
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

It’s difficult to argue against the Irish XV with Russell at 10 though being the only change :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:41 am
That’s why at the World Cup the advantage of training and playing together week in, week out, reduces as the tournament progresses as the other sides build the familiarity that having their players have.
Great point!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 am
mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:41 am
Great point!
Good point but still not a complete comparison I feel. As a rough example imagine Montoya,Weise and Pollard were all English and we still had Genge in his pomp. Add in us having Itoje,Farrell at 12 and say Henry Slade too and all those players playing week in week out year in year out ,training ,domestically,European and international games and I’m probably still downplaying the advantage Ireland have with Leinster.