Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:02 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:45 pm Carnduff to captain England U20's in the telegraph.
I think that was announced when they played the recent friendlies
Was clearly marked as future captain last year, when give a chance to captain despite being one of the youngest in the squad.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Illione was also England U20 captain and kept Cunningham South on the bench. I appreciate there may be study issues but also opportunity issues. Sometimes I think Tigers do not play those deemed to be youth enough whilst we do conversely have many young players who have broken through and are now embedded on the first team.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:44 pm Illione was also England U20 captain and kept Cunningham South on the bench. I appreciate there may be study issues but also opportunity issues. Sometimes I think Tigers do not play those deemed to be youth enough whilst we do conversely have many young players who have broken through and are now embedded on the first team.
Another way of saying that could be if they’re good enough we play them
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

What's going on with Guy Porter?

I was mischief-making when I suggested his presence in Aus over Christmas was suspicious, but maybe I wasn't that far wide of the mark
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:16 pm What's going on with Guy Porter?

I was mischief-making when I suggested his presence in Aus over Christmas was suspicious, but maybe I wasn't that far wide of the mark
Rumours that he's out of contract and being chased by unnamed Super Rugby sides. Via Fissler/TRP.

I actually don't think Fissler over reports as much some suggest. He does like to drop small claims such as that early so he can then big them up later if it comes good. So it's likely on the money that Porter is out of contract and seeing what his options are. If TRP had anything more they'd name clubs though.

I could see Porter moving home, sadly. Especially if he's out the frame for further England honours and therefore the matchday payments. A Super Rugby contract for a starting centre just below international level will be similar to Prem at the minute. He might just fancy being back in Oz for the lifestyle.

His old house mate Potter moved back for similar reasons from what I heard. There were rumours about him being sold a dummy by Jones over potential Australia caps. Whereas I heard that he simply fancied moving closer to home.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Rumours that he's out of contract and being chased by unnamed Super Rugby sides. Via Fissler/TRP.

I actually don't think Fissler over reports as much some suggest. He does like to drop small claims such as that early so he can then big them up later if it comes good. So it's likely on the money that Porter is out of contract and seeing what his options are. If TRP had anything more they'd name clubs though.

I could see Porter moving home, sadly. Especially if he's out the frame for further England honours and therefore the matchday payments. A Super Rugby contract for a starting centre just below international level will be similar to Prem at the minute. He might just fancy being back in Oz for the lifestyle.

His old house mate Potter moved back for similar reasons from what I heard. There were rumours about him being sold a dummy by Jones over potential Australia caps. Whereas I heard that he simply fancied moving closer to home.
The Melbourne Rebels are in financial trouble. The Super Rugby sides might be concentrating on keeping the players they have.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Our midfield might need some cosmetic surgery this summer...

Porter going off-contract
Scott will be 34 by start of next season
Cokanasiga will be 23 and hasn't broken through

Could be a great opportunity for Woodward or Cusick to step up.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It's confirmed he's been out with concussion, but is back training with the squad (note McKellar does not say he was doing contact training)

Protocols state that if you have 3 concussions within a 12 month period you have to have a 3 month break.

We don’t know if he's had that requirement on him but the period of time out suggests that is the situation.

Given his last game was 18th November, that suggests the earliest we'll see him is the 19th Feb (assuming the game was when he got concussed, but may have been after that).

Yes there are rumours about him going to Australia, a lot (including the Fissler rumour), but if you knew a player couldn't play till mid Feb you'd give them time to visit family and friends in Australia too.

Those saying he is out of contract, I'd be surprised. He was announced as re-signing last season, so unless that was only a 2 year deal (and given the majority of young key players are shown to be on 3 year deals) I'd be surprised if he was out of contract.

The only exception I'd say would be if the concussion has led to insurance issues as per Van Staden, however if that were the case there would be no reason for McKellar to suggest he is back training with the squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/Amhellie/status/175 ... LqAuQ&s=19

4.09 in the latest Tigers Eyes shows Porter in training (as McKellar said)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:58 pm
Offside wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:44 pm Illione was also England U20 captain and kept Cunningham South on the bench. I appreciate there may be study issues but also opportunity issues. Sometimes I think Tigers do not play those deemed to be youth enough whilst we do conversely have many young players who have broken through and are now embedded on the first team.
Another way of saying that could be if they’re good enough we play them
that’s true…sometimes the opportunities in the games programme doesn’t allow all our players the chance …that said those who have turned up recently have done so well
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

All this speculation that Porter is no longer England material, he was in the World cup squad list until he got injured.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

PeteK wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:24 am All this speculation that Porter is no longer England material, he was in the World cup squad list until he got injured.
Guy wasn't injured then from memory? He was released after the first warmup, where he was one of a few to have a pretty poor game against Wales. Then came back into the squad very briefly when Marchant and Manu had niggles. Then was released again, played all the PRC and first 6 Prem rounds before this concussion.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

They said in the last injury update he is in the return to play protocols after concussion issues. So presumably he is "stuck" at the phases around doing full exercise without symptoms, and just needs more time to come good.

Lots of players do need one long break then come back fine for years after, so I hope we don't over react.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

Lets hope he isnt in a Ben Herring or Dave Denton situation
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

PAW2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:32 pm Lets hope he isnt in a Ben Herring or Dave Denton situation
Thought Ben Herring was good for us
A2O