2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by KiwiTig »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:39 pm How does Ewels get selected?
Tried, tested and nowhere near good enough.
Because Borthwick is risk averse ! He was amazing for us but we were pretty limited creatively….I loved the journey as a Tigers fan, but a rugby connoisseur may have thought otherwise
For example, Borthwick will keep on picking Dan Cole I have no doubt and I’m not sure why ?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

KiwiTig wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:18 pm
mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:39 pm How does Ewels get selected?
Tried, tested and nowhere near good enough.
Because Borthwick is risk averse ! He was amazing for us but we were pretty limited creatively….I loved the journey as a Tigers fan, but a rugby connoisseur may have thought otherwise
For example, Borthwick will keep on picking Dan Cole I have no doubt and I’m not sure why ?
Same reason as he keeps picking Danny Care, he is one of the 3 best in his position in the country. Neither will around for the next World Cup but they have enormous amounts of experience and knowledge to pass on
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Like it or not, the England game has always been very much around set piece. If you can't keep a scrum up and gain penalties while conceding as few as possible then you're no use to Borthwick. You have to do your primary job first before any of the flash stuff around the park. Coley is still the best English qualified scrummaging tighthead in the Prem, even at his ripe old age. That's great for him but concerning that there are zero young props out there who have passed Coley.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

And unless we give someone the opportunity nobody will progress …
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Let’s see
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

KiwiTig wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:08 pm And unless we give someone the opportunity nobody will progress …
Only if they’re ready. This was always going to be evolution rather than revolution
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:14 pm Posolo Tuilagi, son of former Tiger Henry, and nephew of Alesana, Manu and countless other Tuilagis, has been called up to the French squad for the opening 6Nations fixture against Ireland in Marseille next Friday evening.

6'4" and allegedly 145kgs and currently playing 2nd row for Perpignan (for whom ex Tiger Perry Freshwater is forwards' coach), he's an impressive size, although a fork-lift truck would probably be needed to hoist him in the lineouts.

In my opinion, however, he's unlikely to be selected in front of Cameron Woki, Paul Willemse, Romain Taofifenua and Paul Gabrillagues. The two Toulouse 2nd rows, Thibault Flament (ex Loughborough Town RFC!) and Emmanuel Meafou would probably have been selected but are injured.

Edit: Just read that this'll be the probable French team to beat the Irish:

Ramos - Penaud, Fickou, Danty, Bielle-Biarrey - (o) Jalibert, (m) Lucu - Ollivon, Alldritt, Cros - Willemse, Gabrillagues - Atonio, Mauvaka, Baille.

Remplaçants : Marchand, Wardi, Aldegheri, Woki, R. Taofifenua, Pa. Boudehent, Le Garrec, Moefana.
MidiOlympique now think that the Bordeaux/Bègles centre, Yoram Moefana, will be on the wing against Ireland instead of his less physical B/B clubmate Louis Bielle-Biarrey.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Marcus Smith spotted on Crutches...

https://twitter.com/TelegraphRugby/stat ... ZBELQ&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 pm Marcus Smith spotted on Crutches...

https://twitter.com/TelegraphRugby/stat ... ZBELQ&s=19
Ford in or does he risk Finn Smith in Rome
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Finn Smith for me
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:47 pm Like it or not, the England game has always been very much around set piece. If you can't keep a scrum up and gain penalties while conceding as few as possible then you're no use to Borthwick. You have to do your primary job first before any of the flash stuff around the park. Coley is still the best English qualified scrummaging tighthead in the Prem, even at his ripe old age. That's great for him but concerning that there are zero young props out there who have passed Coley.
I don’t disagree with that but when has Cole demonstrated that in a Tigers shirt this season ? Certainly not in the defeats against La Rochelle, Quins or Exeter. As much as I like Dan Cole his “reputation” has been the best part of his recent form.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Ford is IMHO the best English fly-half and has been for the last 8 or 9 years or so by quite a margin. He will probably also be available in 2027, so see no need to test out younger players yet.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Also a fan of Ford but I think it’s a good time to give Fin Smith a well deserved chance …with Ford on the bench …and potentially reward form
However, I also think Borthwick will go with TH Will Stuart even though he’s shown no form this season…we will have to wait and see
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:00 am Also a fan of Ford but I think it’s a good time to give Fin Smith a well deserved chance …with Ford on the bench …and potentially reward form
However, I also think Borthwick will go with TH Will Stuart even though he’s shown no form this season…we will have to wait and see
Maybe for the IT game I cannot disagree!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The announcement is on Thursday and usually the Telegraph have the team a day early so they should have it up by tomorrow afternoon anyway. So not long to wait now.

I'd go for:

1.Genge 2.George 3.Cole 4.Itoje 5.Chessum 6.Roots 7.Underhill 8.Earl
9.Mitchell 10.Ford 11.Freeman 12.Dingwall 13.Daly 14.Roebuck 15.Steward

16.Dan 17.Marler 18.Stuart 19.Coles 20.Pearson 21.CCS 22.Care 23.F Smith

With Lawes, Curry and Martin all variously unavailable, I'd risk the 6-2 split and load the bench with lock and back row impact.

I think Borthwick will go with Slade at 13 and Daly at 14 ahead of Roebuck. Then no 6-2 split, maybe Furbank in the 23 shirt. Unless they look to cap Feyi-Waboso off the bench early.