Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Alan Dickens - Tigers lack of attack coach.

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:38 am Strange selection..

One returned to Australia and seemed to move out of rugby. Why would he want to travel half way round the world to fill in as an assistant to someone else who holds the job he had years ago.

One was our head and skills coach when we were a side that played like headless chickens with no skill.

The third is commentator seems to be a would be 4th official and is an experienced as a coach as he is a referee.
Excellent summary
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd rather we looked across the country for an up and coming attack coach that was maybe doing good things with an age grade or Championship side and gave them the chance to step up. Someone hungry to make a difference and take his chance.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

After another intelligent and gritty performance last night I think Mike Brown could do a great job as backs’ coach and MacKellar admires him.
In a year or two’s time: Owen Farrell! Contentious maybe but unlike some,and having been at Sarries when I’ve sadly seen them run in the tries v Tigers on numerous occasions, he has the all round game similar to George Ford.
He also said he was going to France to further his skills/ experience in preparation to coach.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 pm After another intelligent and gritty performance last night I think Mike Brown could do a great job as backs’ coach and MacKellar admires him.
In a year or two’s time: Owen Farrell! Contentious maybe but unlike some,and having been at Sarries when I’ve sadly seen them run in the tries v Tigers on numerous occasions, he has the all round game similar to George Ford.
He also said he was going to France to further his skills/ experience in preparation to coach.
Brown has said coaching does not interest him. He is looking at more of a Director of Rugby role after playing.

Has Mike Catt found a new job yet
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Pat Howard did come before as a consultant.
Geordie did have the skills but too many other responsibilities.
Austin does seem to have good insights
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

MelChannerFan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:50 pm Pat Howard did come before as a consultant.
Geordie did have the skills but too many other responsibilities.
Austin does seem to have good insights
+1

Geordies club loyalty abused by imposed additional duties and too many journeymen.

Austin is a smart guy who knows the game. He's played at the top for club and Country. Don't confuse his analytical gobby controversial TV job and his underlying game knowledge. If he would be wanting to leave the press box/ TV for return to Club Rugby is only for him to know.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Austin does have a keen analytical brain, and imo has been slightly less gobby recently.
I imagine one of his other issues could be his other business concerns including a lucrative Sports camp in Sardinia every Summer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Austin as an attacking consultant could be very good, he might not have the coaching qualifications but he certainly has the rugby knowledge, even if he just lead some team meetings it could be very useful
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am a great admirer of Austin but his expertise away from the pitch is as a commentator, like most of the pundits he is better at stating what has gone wrong than actually doing something about it. Actually most fans can do that and we just hope that their theories are not put to the test.with our team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No to Geordie, fantastic player and love him on the mic ,absolute legend but up there with the worst coaches in recent history.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:42 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 pm After another intelligent and gritty performance last night I think Mike Brown could do a great job as backs’ coach and MacKellar admires him.
Brown has said coaching does not interest him. He is looking at more of a Director of Rugby role after playing.

Mike Catt would be a great shout……
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:51 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:10 pm

The same defensive strategy that kept what could have been the Irish side to 3 tries in normal time
Please look at the season as a whole ,my friend.
In open play there is a decided vulnerability.An unsettled Centre pairing does not help but non the less... different eyes see different things.
Not sure I want to be relying on your eyes.

In 2022/23, from 20 league games we conceded 3.3 tries per game on average and conceded 24.5 points per game on average.

In 2023/24, from 11 league games we have conceded 2.64 tries per game on average and 21.36 points per game on average.

Our defence is not our issue.
Important caveat is that more tries are scored in the better weather, and with the PRC replacing the early season games we have had fewer of the early autumn games and obviously no spring games yet.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:30 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:51 am

Please look at the season as a whole ,my friend.
In open play there is a decided vulnerability.An unsettled Centre pairing does not help but non the less... different eyes see different things.
Not sure I want to be relying on your eyes.

In 2022/23, from 20 league games we conceded 3.3 tries per game on average and conceded 24.5 points per game on average.

In 2023/24, from 11 league games we have conceded 2.64 tries per game on average and 21.36 points per game on average.

Our defence is not our issue.
Important caveat is that more tries are scored in the better weather, and with the PRC replacing the early season games we have had fewer of the early autumn games and obviously no spring games yet.
This season also started later in autumn than usual, I think, so less of the late summer sun.

7 tries per game across the league so far this season compared to 6.5 tries per game for last season, so not a big difference. That's an extra .25 try conceded per team per game, so if we take that into account we're still doing better this year.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:02 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:42 pm

Mike Catt would be a great shout……
He's not leaving Ireland until the end of their tour to South Africa in the summer.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Strongly believe that when the situation becomes clear and obstruction free Dan McKellar has his own man in mind..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....