Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goshengareth

Re: Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Post by Goshengareth »

We’ve won 6 of our last 7 Premiership matches.

At start of Nov we lost to Quins n Sarries back to back. We’ve just beaten them back to back. We’ve just beaten the 2nd team in the league away - despite our pack being seriously weakened. Our 4th choice tight head made his premiership debut and did an excellent job.

We are now in the top 6 and 4 points off Quins in 2nd place.

COYT.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 am We’ve won 6 of our last 7 Premiership matches.

At start of Nov we lost to Quins n Sarries back to back. We’ve just beaten them back to back. We’ve just beaten the 2nd team in the league away - despite our pack being seriously weakened. Our 4th choice tight head made his premiership debut and did an excellent job.

We are now in the top 6 and 4 points off Quins in 2nd place.

COYT.
+1 to all of this.

Look at the top of table - Saints? We've beaten them once already. Quinns? Just beaten them in their patch and we were the better team in a narrow home loss. Bath? Already done the double on them.

We should be feeling good about the business end of the season now!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I don't buy into the lucky tag attached to our win too much. A little bit of luck maybe, but it shouldn't be overplayed. We scored more points than them so we won. If the boot was on the other foot and Pollard had missed that last kick to win I bet many who now say lucky would be saying poor basic skills from an international player. And that is what I see from Evans, ergo we won. Just like poor basics will gave caused any number of advantages for the opposition throughout the game.....for both sides.
I think on the balance of play we deserved the win and created alot of pressure on Quins where they didn't expect it. And that pressure extended to the context of the relative position of both teams. I think most, including Quins, expected a fairly comfortable win for them and a late kick at goal when they weren't winning comfortably changed the pressure on Evans. IF they had been winning by 15/20 at that point, he would have slotted the kick......as a wild guess.
As Good As It Gets
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A win is a win - great result away from home.
Only spoilt by the journey back on the M1.....That Motorway, and what gives on there, is a serious pain in the butt.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Only caught the last 30 minutes but what a win against a club who have given both Sale and Saracens a drubbing at home this season. I can’t believe people still see the need to dissect it but suppose that’s what fans do.
Carnduff did look good in the loose and took some good line outs, bit light for 2nd row was surprised they didn’t move Hanro up.
Richardson did more than can be expected for 80 mins which is encouraging when the Coler Bear hangs his boots up

Was there an element of fortune, yes but as OHC said at the end they got right in his eye line, and there was some misfortune in Julian’s strike getting stuck, Lenny should have fed the ball better.

Lads now have best part of 2 weeks off, and unless I’m placing too much faith in OHC we are going to be going strong in the PRC
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Got a bit lucky with that missed kick, but deserved the win. Considering we've played the best two teams in Europe in the past two weeks, to go to second in the league and win is a tremendous result.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Not a lot wrong with that performance overall. Yes, a bit jittery with passes early on but got better. The over-the-top passes are very difficult to execute like both Pollard and Kata were doing (yes, I know one was slightly forward!), considering the missing forwards our scrum wasn't too bad, thought Cronin lost his head a bit and was lucky not to get a card!
McKellar was interesting after the match, fulsome praise for Kata, who he obviously knows and rates very much. Said that 'when he speaks they all listen' and spoke of his leadership. I thought maybe we overused him up the middle a bit but I then think because he narrowed their defence up we were able to throw the ball wide!
Also one assumes it was mainly Pollard spotting them getting narrow that meant he could go wide, no doubt McKellar etc had spotted this and put it in the plan, however it still needs executing, thought we did that well :smt023
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

ourla wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 am Just glad we managed to squeeze out a win. Maybe we can come good on the home straight after a few weeks rnr.

I always like Mike Brown but now he's in a Tigers shirt I'm loving it. Even better than the Ashton gig.
100% how we won was irrelevant last night
The fact we won was the most important and Mike Brown, what a player
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We outplayed Quins for most of the game.
Their attack is very good and punished our mistakes, but most of their scores were our mistakes, not made by their own work.

Our missing players hurt us in the scrum. However the likes of Care and Smith can do little without the ball.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:46 am
ourla wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 am Just glad we managed to squeeze out a win. Maybe we can come good on the home straight after a few weeks rnr.

I always like Mike Brown but now he's in a Tigers shirt I'm loving it. Even better than the Ashton gig.
100% how we won was irrelevant last night
The fact we won was the most important and Mike Brown, what a player
The try by Brown was kinda written in the stars......
Even their fans - who I was talking to prior to the match - could see it coming.
Mike Brown ,was, is , and always will be a massive competitor and great to have on-side.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:22 am McKellar was interesting after the match, fulsome praise for Kata, who he obviously knows and rates very much. Said that 'when he speaks they all listen' and spoke of his leadership. I thought maybe we overused him up the middle a bit but I then think because he narrowed their defence up we were able to throw the ball wide!
I’ve been thinking whether we should give the Kata-Scott partnership a run out, to see how it goes. Worth a crack I’d say.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:22 am McKellar was interesting after the match, fulsome praise for Kata, who he obviously knows and rates very much. Said that 'when he speaks they all listen' and spoke of his leadership. I thought maybe we overused him up the middle a bit but I then think because he narrowed their defence up we were able to throw the ball wide!
I’ve been thinking whether we should give the Kata-Scott partnership a run out, to see how it goes. Worth a crack I’d say.
IMO Kelly Scott is currently our strongest partnership, others I’m sure will disagree. Kelly is back to approaching his best form and his passing game is better than the other 2. The fact that he is becoming equally comfortable at 12 or 13 is a bonus. Add to that the return on Guy Porter and we are in an enviable position
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Some more perspective.
During and after the game last night the Quins’s fans were full of praise for Tigers.
I had said we had the luck on the night! All their fans told me in no uncertain terms that we were the better team and reminded me that compared to their missing players ours had caused problems all season! I’ve always said Quins’ fans are the best.
I too thought Quins would win but credit to Tigers as they really did give their all and the last kick off by Pollard was pure class: I was at that end of the ground and it hung perfectly for the whole team to rush up and FOR THOSE ON THE PITCH AT THE END: awesome defence and discipline because we couldn’t really afford to give a penalty away. It reminded me of the time we won at The Stoop preCovid when we defended in the same manner to narrowly win: I thing Tom Youngs was immense that day! After a long journey down and awful one back due to the M1 being closed( hope no one was seriously hurt) I’m going to enjoy watching the game again today with a Guinness.
Proud of all the Tigers.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:16 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm I’ve been thinking whether we should give the Kata-Scott partnership a run out, to see how it goes. Worth a crack I’d say.
IMO Kelly Scott is currently our strongest partnership, others I’m sure will disagree. Kelly is back to approaching his best form and his passing game is better than the other 2. The fact that he is becoming equally comfortable at 12 or 13 is a bonus. Add to that the return on Guy Porter and we are in an enviable position
Agreed that Kelly-Scott is a strong partnership, and Kelly’s passing game is useful. On the other hand, Kata’s running game and metres made post contact is probably better than Kelly’s. So a combination of Kata and Scott could be worth a look, especially with Shillcock at fullback.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:02 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:16 pm
No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm I’ve been thinking whether we should give the Kata-Scott partnership a run out, to see how it goes. Worth a crack I’d say.
Agreed that Kelly-Scott is a strong partnership, and Kelly’s passing game is useful. On the other hand, Kata’s running game and metres made post contact is probably better than Kelly’s. So a combination of Kata and Scott could be worth a look, especially with Shillcock at fullback.
Plenty of options. Worth remembering that Shilcock is unlikely to get many runs at 15 as the England guys won’t miss any more premiership games