Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Post by Chobbsy »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:19 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:32 am Never rains but it pours for Tigers!
How unlucky to have Hurd, Reffell and Henderson all out for this massive game.
I’m off to Quins but I’ve never played prop so won’t take my boots: too old anyway!!
Definitely not recommended even if you wanted to Ian. I once propped at TH against the RAF LH. Only a station v station match but our TH went off and I was the biggest back so naively agreed to fill in and the reserve came on in the backs. I was in agony for about 2 weeks down my right side and have had problems for the last 30 years. In fact I am back at the doctors on Friday because I have spent a small fortune on physio, chiropractors, sports massage, massage machines, physio rollers and still having issues. I felt like a Brazil nut in one of those corkscrew nutcrackers. :smt018
Thats crabs for you
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Apparently J. Evans is fit and the London reporter saying Quins don’t have many out compared to Tigers so their players expect a 5 pointer with Tigers struggling to cope with their pack.
I travel down just hoping we somehow can give Quins a good game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:23 pm Apparently J. Evans is fit and the London reporter saying Quins don’t have many out compared to Tigers so their players expect a 5 pointer with Tigers struggling to cope with their pack.
I travel down just hoping we somehow can give Quins a good game.
Interesting re Evans. I think they have 6 on England duty and as many injuries as we do , will be a close 1 I feel
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If they've got Jarrod Evans back it'll be a real boost for Quins. He's not played in a month though so we should be looking to pressure him.

It'll be tough up front for our front five as Quins will be missing a lot less than us. Carter and Wells to show the value of their experience hopefully.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Leicester Tigers have named their side for Friday night’s Gallagher Premiership clash against Harlequins at 7.45pm at the Twickenham Stoop live and exclusively on TNT Sports.

Tighthead prop Dan Richardson will wear the famous Tigers number three jersey in the Gallagher Premiership for the first time with Academy prop Tim Hoyt set for his league debut off the bench.

Harry Wells and Kyle Hatherell form a new lock partnership with Olly Cracknell starting at openside in-place of Welsh international Tommy Reffell who misses out through injury.

There’s also a place in the finishers for backrower Finn Carnduff. Carnduff captained England U20s in their last training fixture after putting in some big shifts for Tigers in the Premiership Cup earlier in the season.

Leicester Tigers head coach, Dan McKellar said: “We’re excited to see Dan [Richardson] get a crack as a starter and for Tim [Hoyt] and Finn [Carnduff] getting their opportunity on the bench.

“Those boys have trained with us; they know what’s expected of them and they’ll have plenty of support from their teammates.

“Back in the league this week, there’s no doubt that Friday night’s a big game for our season so we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

STARTING XV

15 Jamie Shillcock [18]
14 Mike Brown [20]
13 Dan Kelly [73]
12 Solomone Kata [12]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [13]
10 Handré Pollard [25]
9 Tom Whiteley [22]

1 James Cronin [27]
2 Julián Montoya (c) [52]
3 Dan Richardson [14]
4 Harry Wells [189]
5 Kyle Hatherell [13]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [98]
7 Olly Cracknell [33]
8 Jasper Wiese [71]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Finn Theobold-Thomas [6]
17 Francois van Wyk [45]
18 Tim Hoyt [1]
19 Sam Carter [12]
20 Matt Rogerson [14]
21 Finn Carnduff [8]
22 Ben Youngs [311]
23 Matt Scott [73]
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Harlequins have named their matchday squad for Friday's Gallagher Premiership fixture against Leicester Tigers at a sold-out Stoop (KO 19:45 - Live on TNT Sports).

The squad features several changes following the 47-19 win over Ulster, with five players unavailable due to the Six Nations, alongside the return of Jarrod Evans and Cadan Murley, and a potential debut for loan signing Arthur Clark.

In the pack, Fin Baxter starts at loosehead prop alongside Jack Walker at hooker and Will Collier at tighthead. Joe Launchbury captains Quins for the first time, joining Irne Herbst at second-row. George Hammond shifts to blindside flanker to partner Will Evans at openside and James Chisholm at number eight.

In the backs, Max Green makes his first start at scrum-half, alongside the returning Jarrod Evans. Andre Esterhuizen and Will Joseph reignite their centre combination, with Louis Lynagh on the left wing and Nick David on the right. Tyrone Green continues at fullback.

Amongst the Impact Players, there's returns for prop Santiago Garcia Botta, scrum-half Lewis Gjaltema and fly-half Will Edwards. Second-row Arthur Clark, who joined the Club on loan from Gloucester, is in line for his debut, with Cadan Murley making his return from injury.

Director of Rugby Billy Millard commented: "It's never an easy match against Leicester but the group have worked hard this week and we're looking forward to the challenge on Friday night. With several changes required this week it's excited to welcome back some boys from injury and reward others with an opportunity."

Starting XV:

1. Fin Baxter (41)
2. Jack Walker (54)
3. Will Collier (233)
4. Joe Launchbury (16 - Captain)
5. Irne Herbst (37)
6. George Hammond (56)
7. Will Evans (80)
8. James Chisholm (146)

9. Max Green (5)
10. Jarrod Evans (10)
11. Louis Lynagh (57)
12. Andre Esterhuizen (81)
13. Will Joseph (11)
14. Nick David (47)
15. Tyrone Green (66)

Impact Players:
16. Sam Riley (44)
17. Santiago Garcia Botta (62)
18. Dillon Lewis (11)
19. Arthur Clark (Debut)
20. Archie White (69)
21. Lewis Gjaltema (32)
22. Will Edwards (32)
23. Cadan Murley (105)

Not available for selection (injury): Luke Northmore, Jack Kenningham, Dino Lamb, Stephan Lewies, Will Porter

International duty: Joe Marler, Chandler Cunningham-South, Alex Dombrandt, Danny Care, Marcus Smith, Oscar Beard
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Going to be a tough match and I guess we have injury issues to contend with as well as the international absences.

Big question for me is about Illione, injured or really not considered a first team option at the moment.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The we need an attack coach thread is going to get a hammering. That said not much between the 2 sides and I think we could get something out of the fixture
Jamo333

Post by Jamo333 »

Ilione playing for Nottingham tomorrow
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:14 pm Going to be a tough match and I guess we have injury issues to contend with as well as the international absences.

Big question for me is about Illione, injured or really not considered a first team option at the moment.
He's been named in Nottingham's team this weekend so he's fit.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:32 pm The we need an attack coach thread is going to get a hammering. That said not much between the 2 sides and I think we could get something out of the fixture
As long as Tigers don't... !

We will have to be on our A-game for a result, I fear... We are missing a lot through internationals and have a few players not playing their best position... a 10 at 12, an 8 at 5, a 15 on the wing, a 6 playing 7... Not to mention injuries.. (putting excuses in early :smt040 )

COYT!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:11 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:32 pm The we need an attack coach thread is going to get a hammering. That said not much between the 2 sides and I think we could get something out of the fixture

We will have to be on our A-game for a result, I fear... We are missing a lot through internationals and have a few players not playing their best position... a 10 at 12, an 8 at 5, a 15 on the wing, a 6 playing 7... Not to mention injuries.. (putting excuses in early :smt040 )

COYT!
Didn’t know Kata was a 10, or was it meant to be 10 at 15.

Regarding Ilione, there is obviously something that concerns the coaches with him playing at premiership level. We know he is good over the ball and ball in hand, just wonder if there are some defensive issues that they are working on
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dunno about that. Quins have bar Marler got their first choice tight five, not including Lewies as he's always injured. First choice backline outside of 9 and 10. At LH and 10 they've got good second choice options

Think we'll do well to get an LBP out of this.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:20 pm
Pellsey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:11 pm

COYT!
Didn’t know Kata was a 10, or was it meant to be 10 at 15.

Regarding Ilione, there is obviously something that concerns the coaches with him playing at premiership level. We know he is good over the ball and ball in hand, just wonder if there are some defensive issues that they are working on
Apologies, yes you are completely right! Typo!

I would have liked to have seen Ilione too... In any case, I think he will be a star next year.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Really who knows. I think they may struggle to attack quite so fluently without that normal 8, 9, 10 axis, and their lock pairing isn’t the most mobile around, we’ll just have to wait and see