European and South African teams in Champions' Cup 2023/24

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: European and South African teams in Champions' Cup 2023/24

Post by Scott1 »

Caulfields red card for his accidental stamp overturned! What's the point any more?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:42 am Caulfields red card for his accidental stamp overturned! What's the point any more?!
I dunno the laws... neither does the chap Nigel Owens either as he agrees with me, but what does he know...

Law states:
Reckless boot to the face is red (regardless of intent)
If it's foul play, a boot to the face has to be considered reckless.
Therefore it's either foul play and a red card, or it is play on, not foul play.
For the citing panel to say it IS foul play but doesn't meet the red card threshold is decidedly at odds with the laws...

https://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/statu ... VCWaA&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:12 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:42 am Caulfields red card for his accidental stamp overturned! What's the point any more?!
I dunno the laws... neither does the chap Nigel Owens either as he agrees with me, but what does he know...

Law states:
Reckless boot to the face is red (regardless of intent)
If it's foul play, a boot to the face has to be considered reckless.
Therefore it's either foul play and a red card, or it is play on, not foul play.
For the citing panel to say it IS foul play but doesn't meet the red card threshold is decidedly at odds with the laws...

https://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/statu ... VCWaA&s=19
Genuine question, where does it say in the laws that reckless boot to the face is red?

As an aside, it isn't regardless of intent, because reckless itself is a level of intent. This is used to determine whether something is foul play, rather than the other way around - accidental is not foul play, reckless or deliberate is foul play.

I believe the panel have judged that it was reckless, therefore it was foul play, however did not reach the threshold for a red card - I would guess because they did not believe there was a high level of danger, but I can't find a full report.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Caulfield didn't just put his foot to the head, he stamped on it with all the bulk he carries. Reckless it wasn't. That stamp had intention written all over it. Red card all day long.
Give blood, play rugby!!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

wardy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:05 pm Caulfield didn't just put his foot to the head, he stamped on it with all the bulk he carries. Reckless it wasn't. That stamp had intention written all over it. Red card all day long.
There was no intentional stamp. Don't be daft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LekkerTigers wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:58 pm
wardy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:05 pm Caulfield didn't just put his foot to the head, he stamped on it with all the bulk he carries. Reckless it wasn't. That stamp had intention written all over it. Red card all day long.
Your right it wasn’t intentional and the argument will be that he arrived at pace and the player was in an unusual position I just think he could have been a lot more careful and as I said on the other thread for him to get nothing and Langdon 4 weeks is awful
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:58 pm
Of course there was! He was never gonna land there and changed his trajectory,my opinion of course. Smith would've been proud of that mid air goose step! Or should that be a hitch kick?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Final venues for the next 2 years have been announced

2025 - Cardiff
2026 - Bilbao