We need to talk about Handré

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: We need to talk about Handré

Post by Yorkshire man »

All our southern hemisphere internationals look a little battered bruised and tired and that is hardly surprising. They played the domestic season here last year, then the southern hemisphere internationals then went straight into world cup camps and then the competition. All three played the full period of the world cup, had a very short break, less than two weeks and started domestic rugby here all over again. After the Quins game on Friday they must be given as long a break as possible to rest and recharge. I am sure that after that they will all be on the top line again.

These stars are normal people at heart who look to cram as much as possible into a relatively short but very physical career. I am sure they all crave success but must also seek to provide future financial stability for their families. Like us all they need a rest and now is the time to let them have it.

We must remember Tigers generally do not have the the same benefits of the squad sizes of the likes of Leinster and the top French sides who are able to rest their stars sometimes for long periods when they play less combative sides in the league competitions.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I don't get why there is such negativity on Pollard after a tiny wobble but then again, I'm definately in the 'form is temporary, class is permament' camp. Lets summarise - he's been great except for a one-off terrible game against Bristol , not single handidly winning against La Rochelle, and missed a kick against Ireland, sorry I meant Leinster. So in summary, 'he's not the Messiah, he's a very naught boy'. Said differently, he's human.

I have noticed that the quality 10s seem to get the focus and blame when teams don't win. Look at Faz now. Look at GF when he was with us during our terrible seasons. But surely the wider context has to be taken into account: our new coach is like any other coach in that he needs at least a season to bed in his systems, especially after the coching uplift last season when Borths starting a new "journey"; the league is full of good evenly matched teams this year due to the demise of 3 teams and quality players being spread around the rest, with the exception of Newcastle and perhaps Glaws (It was only a matter of time that Bath and the noisy neighbours hit form with the talent in their teams and everyone has been reminded you write off quality coaches like Baxter at your peril); and we got off to a bad start due to all our best players being in the World Cup/ Oh, and the small matter we've just played two of the best club sides in the World where you get more mistakes because the physical pressure and talent is next level. Personally, I think we'd have done much worse against Leinster without Pollard.

Meanwhile Pollard brings significant more positives than negatives (His three super powers for me are his kicking, game management and rare for a number 10, his defence). He also has proved he knows how to perform at the top top level. The negatives are he's had a temporary wobble because, he's, well, err, umm, human. Like Steward proving he's human by missing a catch once a season. But I guess it goes against the narrative that some people are only happy when their criticising.

That said, I'd happily go peak negativity if the thread was "We need to talk about the RFU/PRU" who in my opinion are the real villains of English Rugby, and have been for years. If you want to know why we lose against the like of Leinster and La Rochelle I'd suggest you'd get a richer vein of evidence there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think the comments about Pollard are because his form has dropped slightly below his norm. No doubt he is a world class and very important to Tigers
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 pm That said, I'd happily go peak negativity if the thread was "We need to talk about the RFU/PRU" who in my opinion are the real villains of English Rugby, and have been for years. If you want to know why we lose against the like of Leinster and La Rochelle I'd suggest you'd get a richer vein of evidence there.
My pet subject! Don't get me started :smt018
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 pm I don't get why there is such negativity on Pollard after a tiny wobble but then again, I'm definately in the 'form is temporary, class is permament' camp. Lets summarise - he's been great except for a one-off terrible game against Bristol , not single handidly winning against La Rochelle, and missed a kick against Ireland, sorry I meant Leinster. So in summary, 'he's not the Messiah, he's a very naught boy'. Said differently, he's human.

I have noticed that the quality 10s seem to get the focus and blame when teams don't win. Look at Faz now. Look at GF when he was with us during our terrible seasons. But surely the wider context has to be taken into account: our new coach is like any other coach in that he needs at least a season to bed in his systems, especially after the coching uplift last season when Borths starting a new "journey"; the league is full of good evenly matched teams this year due to the demise of 3 teams and quality players being spread around the rest, with the exception of Newcastle and perhaps Glaws (It was only a matter of time that Bath and the noisy neighbours hit form with the talent in their teams and everyone has been reminded you write off quality coaches like Baxter at your peril); and we got off to a bad start due to all our best players being in the World Cup/ Oh, and the small matter we've just played two of the best club sides in the World where you get more mistakes because the physical pressure and talent is next level. Personally, I think we'd have done much worse against Leinster without Pollard.

Meanwhile Pollard brings significant more positives than negatives (His three super powers for me are his kicking, game management and rare for a number 10, his defence). He also has proved he knows how to perform at the top top level. The negatives are he's had a temporary wobble because, he's, well, err, umm, human. Like Steward proving he's human by missing a catch once a season. But I guess it goes against the narrative that some people are only happy when their criticising.

That said, I'd happily go peak negativity if the thread was "We need to talk about the RFU/PRU" who in my opinion are the real villains of English Rugby, and have been for years. If you want to know why we lose against the like of Leinster and La Rochelle I'd suggest you'd get a richer vein of evidence there.
I think you might have missed his terrible penalty kick to touch against La Rochelle when we were attacking, 15 yrds from their line and against 13 men. Momentum gone.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:45 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 pm I don't get why there is such negativity on Pollard after a tiny wobble but then again, I'm definately in the 'form is temporary, class is permament' camp. Lets summarise - he's been great except for a one-off terrible game against Bristol , not single handidly winning against La Rochelle, and missed a kick against Ireland, sorry I meant Leinster. So in summary, 'he's not the Messiah, he's a very naught boy'. Said differently, he's human.

I think you might have missed his terrible penalty kick to touch against La Rochelle when we were attacking, 15 yrds from their line and against 13 men. Momentum gone.
Wasn’t that just after he had a high shot to him by Danty? I know he didn’t go off for a HIA but could still have been a bit dazed.

It was a bad miss, as was the one vs Leinster but I don’t think Polly has played that badly (Exeter aside).
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:45 pm

That one’s bit more contentious, many feel that was an officiating error
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:39 pm I think the comments about Pollard are because his form has dropped slightly below his norm. No doubt he is a world class and very important to Tigers
Bang on this. I think World Cup hangover is a feature, as is the lack of attack coach. We're trying to play a more expansive game without the top quality coaching to guide it, that is a lot of responsibility on Polly's shoulders. Give him an attack coach of merit and I think we see more from him.