Kicked metres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Kicked metres

Post by ourla »

Crucially, we only kicked 662 metres, whereas Leinster managed 1162m.

From the match thread. Thought it was worth a separate discussion.

What does this stat tell us - if anything?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Kicked metres

Post by Tiglon »

We only kicked 5 fewer times than they did (28 vs 33), so on a basic level it tells is that they kicked better/further.

The reasons for that are more difficult to determine without going through and watching all the kicks back. Were we under more pressure when kicking? If so, why? Were we in poorer positions when kicking? Were we consciously kicking short to attempt to regain possession?

Nearly 5 lengths of the field is a lot of territory to give up, particularly against Leinster. I would say that their young 10 did have an exceptional day kicking from hand, and launched some really good long range touch finders. Lowe has a huge boot too - I think it's often forgotten how good their kicking game is, and how important it is to their success.

As a comparison Leinster averaged 34 metres per kick against our 23 metres per kick, whilst in our game vs Sarries we averaged 26 to their 28. Our average for the Premiership season so far is 30m per kick. Sarries' is just under 30m.

So, I would say that the metres kicked disparity vs Leinster was a combination of our kicking being 10-20% below par, and the quality of Leinster's kicking being 10+% better than anything we are used to facing domestically.

As a side note, La Rochelle also averaged nearly 34m against us.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Don’t think it is telling us much…..Leinster kicked from inside their 22 more times than Tigers and therefore had more distance available to kick?
Tigers kicked a lot from outside their 22?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

How many times have we grubber kicked it against opponents legs and been turned backwards because of this, it seems to me to be quite often?
The number of kicks really means nothing, 1 teams tactics could be long clearing kicks, another could be chips or box kicks. Statistics :smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

That's some interesting extra info Tiglon though I think I'm a bit too thick to get what it all means. Doesn't help that I haven't watched the game I guess.

Kicking is important, that is for sure. But I always thought it was more nuanced than pure metres. Area of the pitch, when to and when not to, contestable v field position.