We need to talk about Handré

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: We need to talk about Handré

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:49 pm Am I right in saying Pollard is in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal
Yes
A2O
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:06 pm We should back him, he is class - is DMK though? Better squad than last year, results going backwards
This is wrong on both fronts:
1 - we were missing all of our best players at the beginning of the season because of the RWC, plus we lost Potter/West/Ashton between seasons, and we've had some of our best players like Watson/Henderson/Porter/Cronin/JvP/Dolly injured more than they've been available.

2 - results are better than last year https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... uorbA&s=19 (and Leinster put 55 points on us)
Never believe generalisations
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BG01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:23 pm
Tigersunited wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:06 pm We should back him, he is class - is DMK though? Better squad than last year, results going backwards
This is wrong on both fronts:
1 - we were missing all of our best players at the beginning of the season because of the RWC, plus we lost Potter/West/Ashton between seasons, and we've had some of our best players like Watson/Henderson/Porter/Cronin/JvP/Dolly injured more than they've been available.

2 - results are better than last year https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... uorbA&s=19 (and Leinster put 55 points on us)
And we look more ambitious in playing style than previous seasons.

I don't expect to win anything this year, but if we can keep McKellar, keep most of the core of the squad, and add an attack coach, then I'll be pretty excited about what can be achieved. Almost everything is in place, we just need to keep it that way and avoid more upheaval for a few years.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMO the premiership win under Borthwick was an anomaly. We have then skipped from coach to coach and now have a high quality coach in place for less than a year, which happens to be World Cup year.
I said at the beginning of the season that a PRC win and qualify for champions cup next season should be our objectives and I stand by that
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:23 am IMO the premiership win under Borthwick was an anomaly. We have then skipped from coach to coach and now have a high quality coach in place for less than a year, which happens to be World Cup year.
I said at the beginning of the season that a PRC win and qualify for champions cup next season should be our objectives and I stand by that
The Prem win was defence and often a masterclass in suffocation by Ford, ably assisted by Freddie when it mattered. We are developing an all-court game and that needs time (and an attack coach).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:23 am IMO the premiership win under Borthwick was an anomaly. We have then skipped from coach to coach and now have a high quality coach in place for less than a year, which happens to be World Cup year.
The Prem win was defence and often a masterclass in suffocation by Ford, ably assisted by Freddie when it mattered. We are developing an all-court game and that needs time (and an attack coach).
It also involved a lot of very very close games that we would probably lose 50% of the time, at least, including the final itself.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I have absolutely no grounds for this whatsoever, no rumour, no hearsay, nothing at all, not even a mate of my third cousin talking to a taxi driver who who had the player's uncle's mate in the cab, but there is just a thought nagging at the back of my mind that Handre may leave us at the end of the season and with our financial position, we will agree.

As I said, there is absolutely nothing at all to base that on whatsoever and it is totally irrational but there is a nagging thought in my head that he will be off.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:22 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 pm
It also involved a lot of very very close games that we would probably lose 50% of the time, at least, including the final itself.
Yes we won those games, but when other teams played the same ones they hammered them for the win so, our game plan worked i just dont think we were as good as every one made out certainly in a dominant way - but by god we could grind out a win, and Ford wasnt as exceptional as they hyped him up to be.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:31 pm I have absolutely no grounds for this whatsoever, no rumour, no hearsay, nothing at all, not even a mate of my third cousin talking to a taxi driver who who had the player's uncle's mate in the cab, but there is just a thought nagging at the back of my mind that Handre may leave us at the end of the season and with our financial position, we will agree.

As I said, there is absolutely nothing at all to base that on whatsoever and it is totally irrational but there is a nagging thought in my head that he will be off.
Baby in SA and then Japan for a massive pay day? I would like to think not and hes enjoying the Prem.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

GB72 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:31 pm I have absolutely no grounds for this whatsoever, no rumour, no hearsay, nothing at all, not even a mate of my third cousin talking to a taxi driver who who had the player's uncle's mate in the cab, but there is just a thought nagging at the back of my mind that Handre may leave us at the end of the season and with our financial position, we will agree.

Although Andrea has publically said that we will continue to spend up to the cap.... :smt017
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:53 pm

Although Andrea has publically said that we will continue to spend up to the cap.... :smt017
Spending to the cap does not mean it has to be on the same players, we may value a replacement fly half and for example, a new tight head as better value than one fly half. You also have to look at who needs a new contract next year that we want to keep as they are going be chasing a chunk of that cap increase.

Anyway, I was pretty clear that my thoughts have no basis in fact or rumour and state that it is clearly irrational but something is nagging me that everything is not rosy. I hope I am wrong.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I assume he's the player who's out of the cap anyway, so the cap going up doesn't affect him one way or other - unless there is less additional to spend on a marquee player after the rise.
Not that I know anything at all - other than his forms dipped a little but I'm certain he'll bounce back.
I only live there to wind up the population!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

He’s got another year left on his contract so unless Tigers agree to let him go someone has to fork out £600 k to buy him out and can’t see agreeing to let him go for nothing.
A2O
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

It's just a temporary form thing, same happens to most players, even us mere mortals have off-days/weeks when things don't go our way. Just need to cut him some slack, he'll come good!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:12 pm It's just a temporary form thing, same happens to most players, even us mere mortals have off-days/weeks when things don't go our way. Just need to cut him some slack, he'll come good!
And if his wife is just about to have a baby, he has good reason to have his mind somewhat elsewhere. This is obviously therefore just short term. His form will come back soon.