Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Quins (A) - Premiership - Friday 26th January 2024 - KO- 19:45

Post by Scuttle »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:32 am Never rains but it pours for Tigers!
How unlucky to have Hurd, Reffell and Henderson all out for this massive game.
I’m off to Quins but I’ve never played prop so won’t take my boots: too old anyway!!
Definitely not recommended even if you wanted to Ian. I once propped at TH against the RAF LH. Only a station v station match but our TH went off and I was the biggest back so naively agreed to fill in and the reserve came on in the backs. I was in agony for about 2 weeks down my right side and have had problems for the last 30 years. In fact I am back at the doctors on Friday because I have spent a small fortune on physio, chiropractors, sports massage, massage machines, physio rollers and still having issues. I felt like a Brazil nut in one of those corkscrew nutcrackers. :smt018
As Good As It Gets
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It's bad enough filling in at flanker. TH? My old mucker Chris was a Welsh TH, Tom Smith size, and he still got injury after injury. :smt018
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It’s so annoying when any club loses their best 2 players in a position to England and unlucky to have the 3rd get injured in the last few minutes of the Leinster game.
Thinking back to the Saracens’ game a few weeks ago when they had 1st and 2nd choice props missing and Tigers smashed their way to victory.
Personally I’m surprised we aren’t going to get someone on loan as we will need cover for The Premiership Cup too. A chance for a tighthead from the Championship to shine.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:31 pm It’s so annoying when any club loses their best 2 players in a position to England and unlucky to have the 3rd get injured in the last few minutes of the Leinster game.
Thinking back to the Saracens’ game a few weeks ago when they had 1st and 2nd choice props missing and Tigers smashed their way to victory.
Personally I’m surprised we aren’t going to get someone on loan as we will need cover for The Premiership Cup too. A chance for a tighthead from the Championship to shine.

Nottingham only have a friendly this Friday so hopefully we've managed to get someone like Valentine (or Sio if fit) to train with the squad in case required.

Richardson is 27 and has played a lot of rugby, as well as being apparently one of our strongest players, so have no qualms with him starting against someone like Fin Baxter. No issues with Tim Hoyt coming off the bench either, but will want someone else in and around the squad both for training and in case of any injuries in the next couple days.
Never believe generalisations
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

So we're expecting a side something like;

Cronin, Montoya, Richardson
Wells, Carter
Liebenburg, Weise, Ilione
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly
OHC, Brown, Watson/Bassett

Vanes, van Wyk, Hoyt, Chessum Jnr, Hatherall, Whiteley, Shillcock, Scott

It's not a bad side despite the call ups and injuries. Just try not to spend much time at the scrum.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Surely Mike Brown can play TH ?
Make him earn his money 🙄😳🤣
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:36 am So we're expecting a side something like;

Wells, Carter
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly

It's not a bad side despite the call ups and injuries. Just try not to spend much time at the scrum.
Good shout
I don’t think that will be far off at all…just get the ball in and out the scrum as quickly as we can and don’t drop the ball as much !!!
…travelling down so will be right behind the boys as always
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:36 am So we're expecting a side something like;

Wells, Carter
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly

Doesn't look bad at all, but neither does the Quins side.

I'd be surprised if Ilione started or if Chessum Jr is on the bench, based on selections so far this season. Hatherall, Rogerson and Cracknell all seem to be preferred to Ilione even at 7.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wells, Carter
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly

Watson has traveled to Spain with England afaik. Personally I would start with Kelly and Scott in the centres.
Just have a feeling bench props will be Whitcombe and Van Wyk as emergency tight head, probably wrong though
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:55 am

Wells, Carter
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly

Watson has traveled to Spain with England afaik. Personally I would start with Kelly and Scott in the centres.
Just have a feeling bench props will be Whitcombe and Van Wyk as emergency tight head, probably wrong though
According to All Rugby van Wyk hasn't stated a game at TH in the last 10 years, that's how far back they go with their data. All his replacement positions have been at 17 which normally indicates replacement loosehead as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 am

Wells, Carter
Youngs, Pollard
Kata, Kelly

According to All Rugby van Wyk hasn't stated a game at TH in the last 10 years, that's how far back they go with their data. All his replacement positions have been at 17 which normally indicates replacement loosehead as well.
Oh I agree and the fact that Marler is missing may mean they are happy to play Hoyt. My logic is that Van Wyk is experienced and knows in theory what tight heads do and could have had a few days training there. Much more different in practice of course
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Missing for Quins; Marler, CCS, Dombrandt, Care, MSmith away with England, and Kenningham, Lewies (as ever), Lamb, J.Evans, Beard, Northmore, Murley, and Cleaves confirmed out injured.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am

Oh I agree and the fact that Marler is missing may mean they are happy to play Hoyt. My logic is that Van Wyk is experienced and knows in theory what tight heads do and could have had a few days training there. Much more different in practice of course
Why not start Richardson? He seems the most obvious candidate given he's spent most of his season this year when not bench reserve for us on loan as Nottinghams starting Tighthead this season in the Championship?

Edit: Plus Hoyt has plenty of Championship experience himself as both last season and the one before he spent a fair bit of time on loan at Nottingham. His biggest issue for me is he has due to injury only had 1 sub appearance this season due to injury.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:14 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am

Why not start Richardson? He seems the most obvious candidate given he's spent most of his season this year when not bench reserve for us on loan as Nottinghams starting Tighthead this season in the Championship?

Edit: Plus Hoyt has plenty of Championship experience himself as both last season and the one before he spent a fair bit of time on loan at Nottingham. His biggest issue for me is he has due to injury only had 1 sub appearance this season due to injury.
Sorry wasn’t clear. Van Wyk on the bench with Richardson starting. I haven’t seen Hoyt myself but I know he has a good reputation. I think Nadolo was helping to mentor him
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... 2x9Ww&s=19

McKellar has said we're not bringing a TH in
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.